Hi ladies

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
4boys
Hi everyone. I have lurked here somewhat but now I guess I am here for real. I am expecting our 4th baby next April and I am very curious about home birth. I guess I just want to do my research and ask questions and learn from all you ladies. I am not sure if my DH will support a home birth but I would still like to find out as much as I can.

Just for some background...my first three were all hospital births. My first was completely natural unmedicated because I only got to the hospital at 8 cm and besides pushing for far too long in the wrong position, went great. My last two were much bigger than the first and both required induction. I am really hoping to avoid induction again this time but with my third I wanted to avoid induction so badly that I went 16 days overdue, had to be induced anyways, and ended up with a difficult birth and a spinal because he was 10 lbs and had a giant head. So my goal is to go into labor on my own this time and if not have a home birth, then at least labor as long as possible at home, have the baby in the hospital and come home soon after.

I didn't really enjoy my hospital experience with my last birth. I find some of the nurses too pushy and far too concerned about their rules and policies.

So I guess my first question is....is it necessary to breastfeed if you have a home birth? I have never nursed my babies and I don't plan to with this one. I know that nursing soon after birth helps the womb shrink back to normal. Is it a problem if I don't?
August 3rd, 2007, 02:24 PM
4boys
Yeah, I know all the research and benefits of breastfeeding. I just choose not to. But thanks for answering my question.
August 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome! I am pregnant with my 4th as well, this will be my first homebirth. My midwife never mentioned that it would be a requirement to nurse, though since I have nursed my others it didn't really come up. If you haven't nursed your others and haven't had any issues with hemorrhage, etc after birth I don't see why it would be an issue for a homebirth.
August 3rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto the others but you may want to check with the homebirthing midwives. I know both homebirth midwives in our area make it a requirement to breastfeed with very few exceptions. Shes even had a mom give birth at home who was planning an adoption, and not only did the adoptive mother breastfeed, but the bio mom provided pumped milk to supplement with. She did say in cases such as that, she would provide an exception, but I know its one of few. There are a lot of reasons behind her requirement, but every midwife is different.

Lala..

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 4th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
I ask my clients to commit to breastfeeding for two weeks. The reason behind this is not that I'm a breastfeeding nazi, but that breastfeeding releases oxytocin that allows your uterus contract, and it takes 10-14 days for your uterus to get back to normal size. I don't give the routine pitocin injection that many providers in the hospital give, so breastfeeding is the only source of a hormone that's valuable to mom's healing. I have had clients who never breastfed before and they did the two weeks that I ask (understanding why I ask) and then switched.

Every midwife is different, though, so its important to ask when you interview them.
August 4th, 2007, 08:01 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Ditto to all of the above. My mw in Alabama required it (I had planned to anyway so I'm not sure how long she wanted you to do it) but my mw here hasn't mentioned it that I remember.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

August 4th, 2007, 10:52 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
Quote:
I ask my clients to commit to breastfeeding for two weeks. The reason behind this is not that I'm a breastfeeding nazi, but that breastfeeding releases oxytocin that allows your uterus contract, and it takes 10-14 days for your uterus to get back to normal size. I don't give the routine pitocin injection that many providers in the hospital give, so breastfeeding is the only source of a hormone that's valuable to mom's healing. I have had clients who never breastfed before and they did the two weeks that I ask (understanding why I ask) and then switched.

Every midwife is different, though, so its important to ask when you interview them.[/b]
Charlotte, out of curiosity, what would you do in a situation where a mother physically cannot breastfeed? I nursed my first, for 6 weeks, but she was hospitalized and my milk dried up. I tried to pump, but was unsuccessful. I've been told that might have been due to the stress I was under at the time. Anyway....my milk dried up, but my breasts never went back to pre-pregnancy size. By 19 I was having severe back problems from the size of my breasts. At 20, I had a breast reduction. I tried to nurse my second, but as a side effect from my reduction....I am no longer able to do it. I would love to be able to, but they just don't work anymore. I still produced milk, it just couldn't get out.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
August 4th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
I'm always willing to talk to my clients about any concerns they have about this part of my contract. If a mother is physically unable to breastfeed, I wouldn't choose not to take her at a client, but I would want her to be on the lookout for any signs of pp hemorrhage .
August 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had three natural water births...the last one being at home and the first two in a freestanding birthcenter. I don't breastfeed, not by choice but because I have a rare condition resulting in primary lactation failure. I DID try to breastfeed my first child which is how we found out that I couldn't ...it resulted in an NICU visit for my son with complete dehydration and I had thought things were going well. Anyhow, I never had it come up that it was required to do so and no one ever mentioned any risks to my own health/safety. My uterus contracted wonderfully on it's own and didn't take any longer than a breastfeeding mother's. I never had any shots of pitocin or anything. Our bodies are unique so there's really no way to say whether or not it would be a problem from one person to the next.

CONGRATS on your pregnancy! Home births are the BEST!!!
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
August 4th, 2007, 05:45 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
Quote:
I'm always willing to talk to my clients about any concerns they have about this part of my contract. If a mother is physically unable to breastfeed, I wouldn't choose not to take her at a client, but I would want her to be on the lookout for any signs of pp hemorrhage .[/b]
Thanks for the info. I had never even thought about that aspect and was wondering if being unable to nurse would keep me from having an attended home birth.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
August 5th, 2007, 08:35 PM
4boys
Thank you for the responses. Very reassuring!! Well, I brought it up to DH and asked if he would consider letting me home birth and he said we could consider it. I expected him to say an outright no because he is very squeamish about labor and delivery. He can't be in the room when I give birth! So I was very happy he said we could consider it. So I guess I'll be hanging out here now!!
August 6th, 2007, 11:15 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
How wonderful that he's willing to explore it with you... that seems to be half the battle!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search