I want a home birth soooo bad

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I just found out that I am pregnant, and I would love to do a home birth. I just don't know if I could afford to hire a midwife.

Can the except medcaid?

Do they let you do payments?

How much can it cost?

I want this more then anything, but I think I will be stuck at the hospital again

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

August 9th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Veteran
I know what you mean...I have medicaid in NE and they will not pay for a home birth at all or even for the midwives I'd like to go to. I think it just depends on what state you live in though. You can always call medicaid and ask them (that's what I did). As for the rest, I'm not sure what the running cost is.... Good luck though, I know it's frustrating. I'm going to a birthing center attached to a hospital so that I can get my insurance to pay for it (that way a dr. is "officially" on call there in case something happens).

August 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there! This is Kimberly from the Tri-Cities, 1.5 hrs from you...we've "talked" on a couple of the other boards. Anyhow, my midwife/ND here only does homebirths and I know that there was a woman pregnant & seeing her for prenatal & home birth at the same time I was and she was on medical coupons. Anyhow Dr. Frazer (aka Ginger) does deliveries in Yakima!!! So, you could contact her & talk to her about it. Her clinic here is called Blue Heron Naturopathic Care & the number is 509-586-9691. I think she does clinic once or twice a month in Yakima too. She is beyond awesome and I totally love
her...our whole family does! I would recommend her to ANYONE! She' a wonderful ND too! Good luck. You really should give her a call...
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
August 10th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I know what you mean about being worried about the cost, thats one my DH's big concerns right now. I live in NY, and luckily our state has a loophole in the insurance law that states our insurance has to cover an out of network provider if there isn't an in-network provider that does it. In my area, none of the homebirth midwives will be affiliated with an insurance plan, so that those people who do want homebirths can pick their provider and then get some coverage from their health insurance. We've been preliminarily told that our insurance will cover about 70% of the home birth cost. The midwives we are using are $5,000, and that includes, prenatal, delivery and an extensive PP plan as well.

Good luck to you!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
August 10th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Hi there! This is Kimberly from the Tri-Cities, 1.5 hrs from you...we've "talked" on a couple of the other boards. Anyhow, my midwife/ND here only does homebirths and I know that there was a woman pregnant & seeing her for prenatal & home birth at the same time I was and she was on medical coupons. Anyhow Dr. Frazer (aka Ginger) does deliveries in Yakima!!! So, you could contact her & talk to her about it. Her clinic here is called Blue Heron Naturopathic Care & the number is 509-586-9691. I think she does clinic once or twice a month in Yakima too. She is beyond awesome and I totally love
her...our whole family does! I would recommend her to ANYONE! She' a wonderful ND too! Good luck. You really should give her a call...[/b]

OMG thanks so much for that info. I was pretty sure tri cities was the closest I could get to home. I will call her.

Thanks agian

I will update you after I call, althoug I probably won't call till monday.

August 10th, 2007, 02:48 PM
well I decided to call today lol

they said that they do not accept medical coupons

but I think I am going to call back and make an appointment and talk to her about paymen toptions and other things

August 10th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I FOUND ONE!!!!!

August 11th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Oh yay!!!!!!! I'm so happy you found someone.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
August 11th, 2007, 05:49 PM
thanks, me too

I have an interview on tuesday

August 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
WOOHOO!! I was going to say that I'm pretty sure midwives in WA are paid my Medicaid, but not 100% sure. I'm so glad you found someone
August 14th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mikeys_mommy1_2006
Quote:
her...our whole family does! I would recommend her to ANYONE! She' a wonderful ND too! Good luck. You really should give her a call...[/b]
I'm going to have a homebirth at the end of nov. I had a c-section at the hospital with my son in march 2006. I was wanting to have a water birth to! How do you feel it helped you more!

</div>
August 23rd, 2007, 01:52 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no idea about Medicaid. But for us, midwives are not covered by our health insurance at all (we also hired a midwife from the US and we live in Canada), so everything came out of pocket. She asked for half of the amount prior to the birth, so we had 9 months to raise that...paying in installments. She was very understanding, and has allowed us to pay the remaining amount off as we are able, no matter how long it takes. It was around $2000 for each birth. Don't be afraid to ask! We couldn't really afford it either, but after much discussion just realized that if it's something we really want, there are always ways to MAKE it work with some adjusting/sacrificing. It was SOOO worth it.
August 27th, 2007, 07:21 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope your interview goes well and everything works out!!

My midwife doesn't accept Medicaid/insurance, but she was GREAT about letting us make payments. She actually told us that payment in full ($2000) was due by 36 weeks, but we went ahead and paid her in full a few weeks ago. I just adore her, and I'm so sure this is what we want - I just feel fortunate to have been able to do that.

Hope the rate she gives you is reasonable and she's willing to work with you so you can have the birth you want!
August 29th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Regular
Quote:
I just found out that I am pregnant, and I would love to do a home birth. I just don't know if I could afford to hire a midwife.

Can the except medcaid?

Do they let you do payments?

How much can it cost?

I want this more then anything, but I think I will be stuck at the hospital again [/b]
You could always do it unassisted and maybe have a back-up midwife in case anything goes wrong.
September 12th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Veteran
If you don't want to be "stuck at the hospital again" do some research. If you just found out that you are pregnant you have a little time...my midwife did not see me until like the 14th week. If your midwife was anything like mine, payment plans are usually not a problem. My midwife would do a home birth for 1,500 or 1,200 if you delivered at the free standing birthing center like I did. I wish I would have delivered at home, the 45 minute drive to the center seemed (at the time) a killer.
September 13th, 2007, 02:10 PM
she accepts medicaid so I am all good

September 14th, 2007, 02:27 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's wonderful! I'm so glad it's working out for you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search