How far is too far for you?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How close or far from a hospital would you go... meaning if you live in a town with a hospital but you dont trust it and really the closest good hospital is AT LEAST 30 mins, would you attempt homebirth? Is 30 mins fine for you, no big deal? Just wondering how close or far you want to be when you birth, or if you've already birthed, how close were you?

August 11th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
well my midwife is 1 1/5 hours from me and I feel safe with that

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

August 11th, 2007, 07:57 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Same here... we're in the middle of nowhere. The closest L&D is in a hospital at least an hour away. I could get to the closest ER in 20 minutes in a true emergency. If I call 911, the volunteer fire department shows up.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

August 11th, 2007, 08:48 PM
A few local people i've talked to were comfy with the closest hospital being 30 mins away, while one of them went to her sister's home for the birth which is in the town of the hospital

August 11th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
my hospital is only 5 minutes from me so I am not worried to much

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

August 12th, 2007, 12:11 AM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
the hospital was 45 minutes-1hour away when i went into labor with ricky. i was nervous THEN because it was my first, but now i owuld travel an hour without a single worry.
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
August 12th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
The closest hospital to us is about 20 minutes away, the hospital I'd much rather go to is closer to 45 minutes away... so depending on the emergency, I guess we'd make a decision then about where to go.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
August 16th, 2007, 10:57 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
The closest L&D unit is more than an hour away from me. There is a hospital 20 minutes away that has an ER but they don't deliver babies. If all else fails I would call 911 and the emergency helicopter would come get me. My midwife is an hour and a half away, but if she is on another birth, could be up to 5 hours driving time away. I'm still going for it if I ever get my BFP though. I just have accepted well in advance that my home birth could very well end up being unattended, so I'll be doing lots of reading on what to do if that happens.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
August 16th, 2007, 07:18 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
This was never a concern for me and I doubt it ever would be.

My midwife lived a 5 hour (highway) drive away. I live about 30 mns drive to the hospital. I wasn't worried.

August 16th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mikeys_mommy1_2006
Quote:
How close or far from a hospital would you go... meaning if you live in a town with a hospital but you dont trust it and really the closest good hospital is AT LEAST 30 mins, would you attempt homebirth? Is 30 mins fine for you, no big deal? Just wondering how close or far you want to be when you birth, or if you've already birthed, how close were you?[/b]
Well, let's see I live in Arkansas and I'll have to drive 3 hrs. to Texas cause, you can't do v-bacs here. So I just know god want let nothing happen and we'll be alright!

</div>
August 17th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Its always interesting to me to see how far is too far, and what distances are comfortable for each person.
And of course each midwife I speak to has different opinions on distance from both her and the hospital

August 22nd, 2007, 09:16 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The closest hospital from our home is a twenty minute drive - assuming you're in a hurry and traffic cooperates. With the reputation of the local EMTs and whatnot, we'd definitely drive ourselves in case of an emergency.

I have two midwives; my primary midwife is at least an hour and a half's drive away. Sure, I wish she was a bit closer...but then, I don't plan to wait until the absolute last minute to call her. The other midwife is about an hour away. My only real concern is that I'm due in late November - and won't be surprised if my little girl doesn't come till early December - and they both live UP the mountain from me. Just praying it won't be snowing when I go into labor!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search