fetal heart monitoring

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2007, 11:32 AM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
why or why not? im sitting here going through the "what if" scenarios and wondered what will i do if the baby's heartrate started dropping or rising, what could i do to calm it, but then i thought about how many moms are now doing the "no fetal monitoring"....why? what are the pros and cons?
² married to matt ²
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
²

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
August 20th, 2007, 04:25 PM
home4mygirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We actually don't do strict fetal heart monitoring, but the midwife does check heart tones with a doppler often to make sure everything is going well. She doesn't do any counting or anything like that, just quick checks to make sure it isn't excessively fast or slow. I've read in many places that babies' heart rates naturally drop and rise in reaction to labor (good lord, wouldn't yours???) and that it's normal to see the dips and rises. However, if you have a printout of a constant monitoring, you might get a little panicked to actually see the rises and dips. There are studies and all that on it, but I can't remember them right now.

Oh yes, I wanted to say congrats on your decision as far as the VBAC goes! Isn't it wonderful to finally get that peace of mind that comes with God and knowing that you finally did make the decision that is best for you and your family? I haven't posted any replies to your dilemma, but I've been reading about your struggles and wishing you could come to a "happy medium" that worked for both you and the wonderful medical community!

Just my two cents!
Emma

"We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents, or the country of our birth. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live." Joseph Epstein
August 21st, 2007, 08:18 AM
Veteran
Midwives will always monitor the heartbeat regularly with a doppler. Even if you are laboring in the water they will have a waterproof one to check with. Of course you want to make sure things are OK in there.

The problem with the constant monitoring they like to do int he hospital is that it basically ties you to the bed. When they have two belly bands strapped to you that get messed up when you even roll over it's pretty hard to change positions or walk or do other things that help with labor. Most hospitals "require" 20 minutes out of every hour on the monitor.

August 21st, 2007, 02:55 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
thanks emma - i know a lot of people have been following our story and so i figured, even if somehow things don't perfectly as planned, i know there's a lot of poeple that have been praying for us and that will be touched in some way, and i hope to be able to have someone else learn from our story, so im sharing every step of the way - the ups and downs and in betweens.

i did talk to an IRL friend today about it as well, and she's saying the same things you guys are, so im thinking we can faniggle something eventhough we won't have a midwife.
² married to matt ²
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
²

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search