Pushing Question

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I believe very strongly in the body's ability to give birth without outside help (i.e. someone telling you to push/not to push) but I wonder why my body tells me to start so early. Usually by 8 cm I am feeling very pushy and it's hard to deny the urge. I know in a hospital, the nurses would tell me to blow through it and not push. But birthing at home, I got in the tub and pushed gently until baby crowned, then gave it my all. Swelling of my cervix was not a problem at home (as they warn you in the hospital it will be) but I'm not sure if it didn't happen because I was in the water or because I was in an upright position, or just because I was listening to my body? Is there really a chance of a swollen cervix because of early pushing, or is it just if you push too hard early on?

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on the whole pushing thing? Is it better to start pushing when your body tells you even if youre only 8 cm? Or is it better to wait until 9 or 10 cm?

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
August 24th, 2007, 09:33 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Yes, there really is a chance of swollen cervix if you push too early (I've seen it when I worked with midwives in Africa - NOT pretty). But, that happens when you don't have any urge at all and someone is telling you to push. Some women get the urge to push when they've just got a cm or 2 left, because that pushing helps the cervix dilate the rest of the way (IF the urge is there!) If you have a strong urge to push, it's fine.
August 24th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I was 8ish cm with Cameron when I had a strong urge to push. My midwife told me that if it hurt, breathe through them. If they didn't hurt I could go with it. It hurt. He ended up getting born 20 minutes later without pushing at all. There's nothing really magical about 10 cm.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 24th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My thoughts are this, when you are checked for dilation, it is not usually during a contraction. During contractions your cervix may be more open then when you are not having one. I think the 'push and if it hurts stop' point is a good one. You may begin to feel pushy, and that is just what is needed to open your cervix the rest of the way.

Mama to:
Nick, 19
Abby, 17
Gabe, 15
Isaac, 13
Mary-Kate, 12
Sam, 11
Henry, 10
Molly, 8
Mark, 7
Greta, 5
Cecilia, 4
Josephine, 2
Evie, born 12.31.13
Baby due in July!
August 28th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Regular
Intuition never lies...if you feel the urge to push then this must be what is right in that moment. If you're in the flow of labor and not feeling panicky or fearful...in other words, if you're letting things flow without feeling the need to control what's going on then the urge to push will be natural. I never had an urge to push...my body did it on its own...I believe that that is the case for every mom, but oftentimes we just want things to be over with. Only you know if you felt you were pushing against the current or not...no one else can determine this for you.
August 30th, 2007, 01:11 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am with those who push by intuition. When it was time for M to come I couldn't *not* push my body wouldn't let me stop. In my opinion it's entirely possible for a woman to feel like pushing at 9 or even 8 cm. If one woman can push a 10 pounder out at 10 cm what's to say another can't push her 6 pounder out at 8? And in the same respect what's to say the body stops dilating at 10? There are moms who hit 10 and never feel the urge to push and I firmly believe (and forgive me if I sound like I'm channeling This Is Spinal Tap here) that some times there are moms who go to 11.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

August 30th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree that my body must be telling me to push for a reason. And with my homebirth, no one ever told me not to push. I just pushed when I felt the need, even though I was only 8cm. 8 cm is when I have begun to feel pushy with every single one of my births. I just wonder why some say early pushing will result in a swollen cervix?

I will listen to my instincts again with this birth. Thanks for your responses everyone.

My Homeschooling Blog:
August 30th, 2007, 10:45 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I just wonder why some say early pushing will result in a swollen cervix?[/b]
Because it can. If a woman doesn't have the urge to push, but she thinks she is supposed to start pushing or someone tells her she should - THEN you can get a swollen cervix.

For example, I worked with midwives in Ghana. One poor young girl happened to carry her baby straight out. Some elders in her village decided that she must certainly be overdue because she was so large, so they forced her to take black cohosh to induce labour. She endured painful contractions for several hours, and then they told her she should start pushing because it had been long enough (no experienced midwives were assisting her). So she pushed for a few hours with no result. By the time they brought her to our clinic, she was so exhausted, hardly dilated at all, and her cervix was swollen from all the forced pushing. We didn't even have to do an internal to find out how swollen, you could see her swollen cervix when she opened her legs...even her labia, everything was huge and swollen from all the pushing. She was rushed to the city for an emergency c/s because she was in so much distress (as well as baby), and the poor baby didn't make it. She wasn't due, the baby looked about 34 weeks.

That's what too early means. Too early means no urge. No urge, DON'T PUSH!
August 31st, 2007, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Shawna, that makes perfect sense. But I was only referring to why when I had that undeniable urge to push at only 8 cm, the nurses and doctor told me NOT to push because my cervix would swell. I'm just thinking back to my hospital birth and wondering if there's any truth to what they said.

Yes, it seems obvious that a cervix could swell if there was no urge to push and you were pushing against the will of nature. But my original question was : if you're working with nature and following what youre body tells you, then is there really a chance of a swollen cervix from following that urge to push before reaching 10 cm?

I know there is a good chance I will be feeling pushy at 8 cm and I was just wondering if I should go ahead with and follow my instincts to push "early". But you know, it's not like I will have much of a choice. The body does what it needs to do and it never made sense to me to try to fight that anyway.

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search