Why did you choose a home birth?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2007, 07:25 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just curious as to what everyone's reasons are / were for choosing a home birth.

As for me, I had a very medical hospital birth with my daughter - I didn't know any better then, I just thought it was "the way things were." And really, it IS, in the small area that I live in. There are no midwives nearby, no one seems to know what a doula is, you just go to the hospital and do what your OB tells you to do. *sigh*

I hadn't heard of attachment parenting till after my daughter was born either - I just kind of lapsed into it, and then started reading about it when I figure out that was what I was doing. That's how I learned about doulas, and decided to start working toward my certification - which led to reading / learning more about home births. I realized that the things I hated about a hospital birth (being confined to bed, IVs, epidurals, being rushed, being separated from my baby, etc.) were all eliminated with a home birth - and after learning as much as I could, came to realize just how safe a home birth is.

So we're choosing to have our next little girl at home in November (assuming all continues to go so well, of course), and I just can't wait for the experience!
August 27th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I want to preface that I have not had a baby yet
I have chosen to attempt a HB because
1. Medical interventions are much more likely just being in the hospital, even if you arent planning them
2. You are a slave to their time schedules/limits-if you dont progress as they'd like it can cause problems
3. Increased infections and complications with mom and baby. The germs present in my home will offer no problems to us
4. Overall medical approach to birth (even with the presence of midwives) as opposed to a holistic view. I want my provider to really see ME, to know my family, to know how important this baby is to me, to know my story and my fears and concerns and joys. My midwife can offer that. The guy that is on rotation that night doesnt know any of that. Not that people dont have good hospital experiences, but to me its just not the same
5. I am an anxious person. I can relax more at home. I am a "homebody" and relax better here than anywhere else
6. I am the only pregnant/birthing momma here!! nobody next door screaming, and no nurses running to the next mom, or leaving their shift
7. I get to dictate, barring any complications, how the environment looks, feels, smells, sounds..
8. Baby stays with me. No interventions or separations
9. I get to decide precisely who is present and who visits.. at the hospital you have less control

I"m sure there are more reasons.

oh and the small fact that homebirth is safer.. yeah that kinda won me over too!

I am not an anti hospital person. I"m pretty open to alot of choices, but for me, its homebirth, or at least an extremely valiant attempt. I think I'll be ok if I have to transfer though. i'm not planning on it, but I prepare for the best and the worst, so at least I"m prepared no matter what

August 28th, 2007, 12:25 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
NAK so forgive me for quoting myself in an earlier post here but:

No risk of iatrogenic injury/interference
No risk of hospital acquired infection
Peace and quiet
The option of waterbirth
I'm deathly afraid of hospitals, so birthing in one would have triggered my fight or flight response depriving my baby and my uterus of oxygen.
No chemicals to interfere with the natural hormonal blueprint of labor
No wondering when to drive to the hospital
No warding off interventions from scalpel happy surgeons
No noises when I didn't want them
Dimmed lights instead of bright blinding bulbs
Being able to eat what I wanted when I wanted.
Not worrying about what was happening to my daughter when she left my site, knowing that there wasn't any formula in the house and no one would try to supplement something she didn't need.
I had a beautiful labor where I ate wonderful food watched my favorite movies bathed in warm water in a candle lit bathroom, had a tubside sing-a-long my husband got to rest in our bed and I didn't have to worry that I'd left something crucial at our house. My daughter was born into the hands of my mother who will remember that morning for the rest of her life, not into the gloved hands of a cold sterile stranger who wouldn't recognize her three months later. It was like a dream and it was exactly what I had hoped and planned for.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

August 28th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Mainly because I wanted to and could. I had a hospital birth with Ani and it was fine, but I hated staying in the hospital over night. I hated how they wouldn't let me push when I felt like I needed to because the OB was asleep. I hated how they insisted I take a Tylenol #3 for my "pain" after having her even though I told them I was not in pain. I hated how they whisked her away immediately after birth to clean her up and weigh her and everything. With Cameron I had a birthing center birth. We lived in a state where it is illegal to assist at a homebirth and so birthing center was the only non-hospital option I could find. I liked how it went, but I still didn't like having to leave my house in labor and go somewhere else to have the baby. I had a homebirth with Fritz. I had moved to a new state and so homebirth was an option and it seemed the next logical spot for giving birth. It was everything I had hoped and more!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search