How far away is / was your midwife?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2007, 07:28 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine is about an hour and a half's drive away - and up a mountain, which scares me just a little considering that it could conceivably snow around my due date. I'm trying hard not to worry that she won't make it for the birth - I don't intend to wait until the last minute to call her, and even second babies don't come that quickly...usually...

It's a bit of a pain driving so far (and back) each month for our prenatal visits, but it's worth it to me. There are just no midwives closer to where I live, and I wouldn't trade her for a dozen OBs!

So, how far away is (or was) your midwife? If you've already had a homebirth, please tell me that she made it in time...
August 27th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here's hoping that it goes well.. I hate how snow messes with that stuff!

The one we've finally chosen (mind you we aren't even pregnant yet) is about an hour and a half away. I"ve spoken with her alot, read fantastic reviews about her on mothering..I am pretty confident with it

August 28th, 2007, 12:22 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My back up midwife was over an hour away but we never even called her (we only would have called if I felt I needed help with a breech). I'm sure yours will make it just fine
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

August 28th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We have moved since I had Fritz, but where we lived then my midwife was about 7 miles away. However, we're talking metro DC and depending on traffic that 7 miles can take well over an hour. Now we are about 15 or so miles from her. I ended up going into labor at night (no traffic). She was at my apartment 4 hours before Fritz was born (10 1/2 hour labor).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 28th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
My midwife is about an hour from us. Luckily traffic isn't really a concern around here.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
August 28th, 2007, 12:00 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ours is about 2.5 hours away and in another country! LOL She lives in Montana and we're in Alberta, so as long as they don't delay her at the border - it's a 2.5 hour drive.

We've had two homebirths with her, and she hasn't missed either.
August 28th, 2007, 01:03 PM
JerseyJess's Avatar Super Mommy
My midwives are an hour away. My last birth was only 4hrs long-I called them after an hour and she made it to my house an hour and a half before baby was born. Last baby was due in Feb and thankfully there was no snow. I'm due the week after you. I figure even if she doesn't make it in time at least she'll be on her way
Tabbitha Eve-7
Tyler Anthony-3
Jackson Bryce born 11/30! 7lbs 12oz/ 21.5in

<span style="color:#9932CC">“If you don’t know your options, you don’t have any.”-Diane Korte and Roberta Scaer

“Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” Jeannine Parvati Baker

“Anything I’ve ever done that ultimately was worthwhile…initially scared me to death.” Betty Bender
September 6th, 2007, 04:48 PM
NaturalFamiLEA's Avatar Member
Mine was an hour away, although she took two to get here (she wasn't rushed). It was in time

The one I'm using this time is closer - about 40 mins.
<span style="color:#009999">and Ryan Joshua or Victoria Sapphire EDD 4/6/8

September 6th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She's about 10 minutes away

September 7th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Veteran
My midwife is about 75-80 minutes from me. She made it fine for baby #1, but I do wonder about this current baby. Last time I completely dilated in 3 hrs. If this baby is much faster, we may have an unplanned UC. I plan to brush up on my childbirth knowledge just in case.

www.choicesoaps.com - Luxury Handmade Soap
-You've never seen soap like this before!-

September 7th, 2007, 07:27 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife lives about 40 - 45 mins away from me, an hour with traffic.

But, we knew when we "booked" her that about a week or 10 days after my due date shed be in a town 2 hours on the other side of me.

We thought "no big deal" - i was 6 days early with my son, this is my second, pft.

Well - sure enough - 8 days past my due date, shes out of town, into labor I go.

My quick 4 1/2 hour from start to finish labor was fine - luckily when it started & I called to give her the "heads up this MIGHT be it but dont head this way yet" (cause contractions werent even CLOSE to being regular), she took note of the tone of my voice & headed this way. She got there in an hour and a half lol, and a few hours later the baby was born!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 12th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Veteran
My midwife lived about 30 minutes away, but the free standing center I delivered at was about 45 minutes due to all the lakes we had to drive around. My midwife met us there, we drove in at about the same exact time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search