Curious-how much are you paying out of pocket for your hb?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2007, 07:42 AM
JerseyJess's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh and where are you? (As I'm sure it's regional)

I'm in NJ and with my last birth I had to pay $2000.00 by 32wks and ended up paying a total of $4000.00 out of pocket (insurance only covered $1100) this time my midwives are willing to negotiate a lower fee for me as they know I can't afford that again (and I'll be in my 3rd trimester before switching to them)
Tabbitha Eve-7
Tyler Anthony-3
Jackson Bryce born 11/30! 7lbs 12oz/ 21.5in

<span style="color:#9932CC">“If you don’t know your options, you don’t have any.”-Diane Korte and Roberta Scaer

“Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” Jeannine Parvati Baker

“Anything I’ve ever done that ultimately was worthwhile…initially scared me to death.” Betty Bender
August 30th, 2007, 09:28 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In Canada, with an America midwife. Total fee is approx. $2000. Have to pay half prior to the birth, and can pay off the rest as we are able.
August 30th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'm in the Washington DC Metro area. I chose to go with an almost CPM (which is about half the cost of a homebirth with a CNM!). For prenatal, birth, postnatal, and the assistant at the birth it was $2500. For fewer prenatal visits than "normal" she only charges based on the number of visits (so if you switch to her late or just want fewer visits you pay less). She gives a 10% discount for paying by 36 weeks. Now that she's a CPM the next time I have a baby she'll be able to bill our insurance so we won't have to pay the full amount. She gives an additional 10% discount for repeat customers, which we will be next time.

In 2001 I had Cameron in a freestanding birthing center in southern MD with a CNM. Her total was $3600 (switched to her at 37 weeks, would have been more if I had been seeing her the whole pregnancy). My insurance paid $800 and I paid $2800.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 30th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I am in Washington. Medicaid is covering my HB. Alls I have to pay for is her $35 birth kit and her gas to come to my house, which starts when I am 37 weeks.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

August 30th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
My midwife's fee is $5000 here in NY. I have to pay $2000 by week 32 I believe. My midwife won't bill me anymore until we see what the insurance company pays for. If our insurance pays $3000, then I don't pay more, but if they only pay $1000, then I have to come up with the other $2000.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
August 30th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Super Mommy
My CPM charges 4,200 for a homebirth in California. Our insurance covers some of that, but we're still working on how much they're really going to reimburse. She had us set up our own payment plan, but expects full payment by 38 weeks.

August 30th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
North Texas.. here is her emailed quote to me
"For all prenatal, labor, birth, postpartum and newborn exams, and all standard labwork (initial bloodwork, etc), my global fee is $3800. However,if you pay by 36 weeks it is $900 off, for a global fee of $2900. If you pay in full at initial visit, it's $2800. Non-standard labwork, sonograms or $300 call-out fee at the birth is additional, and not included in the global fee. I can file insurance, and verify what coverage you may have for licensed midwifery. I also do payment plans, and accept credit cards if you need"

August 30th, 2007, 06:35 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
In Alabama our midwife charged $2700 and she made arrangements to bill most of it to our insurance. (I still don't know how she pulled that one off!) I think we ended up paying about $1100 out of pocket.

Now we live in upper Michigan, and my midwife charged $800. I can't imagine how that covers her expenses, considering she drives out to see me and it is an hour one way, but that was it.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

August 30th, 2007, 07:31 PM
wow thats amazing Jennifer!

August 30th, 2007, 09:17 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're in Virginia - $2000 for my midwife. Two midwives, actually, as my primary midwife is still working toward her certification and has to work under a senior midwife (who really gets most of that $2000, I'm sure.)

Plus gas for prenatal visits - 1 1/2 hours one way to her house. She'll be making all the trips to me in the last month, for the birth and postpartum...we'll offer to pay her a bit extra for gas if we can, I know that'll be rough.

And, we still have to buy the birth kit and supplies - not sure how much that'll be, but not an overly significant amount.
August 30th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Her total fee was $3800 and we paid about $1900 and the rest will be covered by insurance. We live in North Texas.

August 30th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Well turns out Alison and I are using the same midwife!

September 2nd, 2007, 09:53 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ours was unassisted so there was no MW to pay and our grand total was around 250 dollars.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

September 6th, 2007, 09:53 AM
NaturalFamiLEA's Avatar Member
I live in NH and it's $2500 here.
<span style="color:#009999">and Ryan Joshua or Victoria Sapphire EDD 4/6/8

September 8th, 2007, 06:07 PM
home4mygirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I live in OH, use a "lay midwife" who has attended MANY births, and she asks for $1000, to be paid by the birth. Actually, by the PKU that she does about 3-4 days postpartum, but basically by the time of birth. If her clients absolutely can't afford to pay the $1000 by the birth and she has worked with them previously (so she knows they are honest), she works out a payment plan for them and they can continue to pay after the baby is born, but total is $1000. Plus the cost of the birth kit, and supplies we need to provide, and it ends up being about $1100. Once there is a live birth she can document, she will bill the insurance, we will get sent a check, and basically "reimbursed" for the out of pocket money we paid her.

"We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents, or the country of our birth. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live." Joseph Epstein

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search