Considering Home Birth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Generally Crispy
Hello Everyone! My husband and I are considering a home birth of our third child. We arent pregnant yet. We are hoping that will come very soon. I had been hoping to use Brittany Birth Center for our new babies birth, but they recently closed their doors and are no longer operating. Since I have been considering a home birth. I would have liked to have my baby at a birthing center in the event of a medical emergancy, however I am not finding any birth centers here. Home Birth is the next option that I would consider.

Both of my children were born in a hospital. My son was delivered when I was very young. My only complication was I had an ovarian cyst the size of a grapefuit, which caused no delivery complications. I delivered with an Epidural.

My daughter was a little bit more difficult pregnancy. It was a healthy pregnancy, but I had some bleeding at around 8 weeks and I had some false labor at around six months on and off for a while, but it seemed pretty real. Labor was induced at 38 weeks. My Daughter was born at a healthy weight and size. I was given a local numbing injection before the episiotomy (sp) However, she had a slight heart murmur at birth and was kept in the hospital until she was okay'd by a pediatric cardiologist to go home. Which she was and by two weeks the murmur was no longer able to be heard. '

I have a few questions here.

I'm not asking medical advise, but do you see it being okay to consider a home birth?

Does anyone know if it is legal to have a home birth in Arizona?

Are there any other Birthing Centers in Arizona (particularly the Tempe / Mesa / Chandler Area)?

Where can I look to find a midwife or someone qualified to assist us if we decide on a home birth?

What are the Pro's and Con's (as you have seen it) to delivering at home?

ALL information is helpful!!!
August 30th, 2007, 02:23 PM
JerseyJess's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm in NJ so can't help with any AZ info I can only share my own experience.

Like you I was young when I had my first (only 17) I had been hospitalized 3x with "preterm labor" but had no significant cervical change so I don't accept that diagnosis. I had an epidural and an episiotomy. WIth my 2nd I was hospitalized 2x with "preterm labor" and was induced on my due date bc they said he was too small (he wasn't). This time I decided against an epidural. I had another episiotomy. My 3rd was with a midwife in a hospital. I had low platelets and was induced. No epidural and thankfully no episiotomy.

With my 4th I still had the very irritable uterus and the platelet issues but I was still considered low risk and so I had him at home. It was an amazing experience. The pros for me were:
-never having to leave for the hospital
-no needles, monitor belt, or restrictions of any kind
-being able to give birth in the position *I* chose
-no time limits
-choosing who would be with me
-having candle light and being in my own bedroom
-after the birth being able to snuggle up with my baby in my bed
-absolutely no seperation from my baby (no eye ointment, no needless time under heat lamps, no rush to bathe baby)
-no roommates (with my 3 hospital births I had to share a room with someone and all their visitors)
-no one waking me to take my vitals
-no unscheduled visitors stopping by

I felt great afterwards. I took a shower when he was 2hrs old. I got to eat whatever I wanted. And my milk came in full force within 24hrs (which I hear is common with homebirths)

It was expensive and up until 2wks ago I was planning another hospital birth but I've changed my mind. I can't go back. It's two completely different experiences.

Good luck with your decision.
Tabbitha Eve-7
Tyler Anthony-3
Jackson Bryce born 11/30! 7lbs 12oz/ 21.5in

<span style="color:#9932CC">“If you don’t know your options, you don’t have any.”-Diane Korte and Roberta Scaer

“Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” Jeannine Parvati Baker

“Anything I’ve ever done that ultimately was worthwhile…initially scared me to death.” Betty Bender
August 31st, 2007, 11:13 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like youd be a good candidate from what youve described. From your description - I would bet you are very in tune with your body and just feel contractions very easily. Hence, a lot of thoughts of "preterm" labor. Perhaps there were some diet issues, which can easily cause contracitons that mimic preterm labor. Hydration is a big player in that. But - even for women who are well hydrated, etc - some are more in tune, and can really feel the tightening sensations. Sounds like you may be one of them especially since there werent any significant cervical changes. Some women also dilate sooner - although they never really go into labor until theyre truely done. Im like you - i feel contractions, regularly, and even dilate early. Still - I will go full term. No worries.

As for the murmur - murmurs are quite common - but they like to be better safe than sorry.

They generally have all the same things at their disposal for home & Birthign center births as they would in a standard hospital room. They will alert the hospital if things look like theyre wandering off the path of "normal" so that you are transported BEFORE it becomes an "emergency". Prep time even in a hospital for an emergency section can be at least 30 minutes.

Good luck, wish I knew more about your area - but I would suggest calling around, asking friends, even call LLL - they often know where the homebirth midwives are

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 31st, 2007, 01:54 PM
Generally Crispy
Quote:
Sounds like youd be a good candidate from what youve described. From your description - I would bet you are very in tune with your body and just feel contractions very easily. Hence, a lot of thoughts of "preterm" labor. Perhaps there were some diet issues, which can easily cause contracitons that mimic preterm labor. Hydration is a big player in that. But - even for women who are well hydrated, etc - some are more in tune, and can really feel the tightening sensations. Sounds like you may be one of them especially since there werent any significant cervical changes. Some women also dilate sooner - although they never really go into labor until theyre truely done. Im like you - i feel contractions, regularly, and even dilate early. Still - I will go full term. No worries.

As for the murmur - murmurs are quite common - but they like to be better safe than sorry.

They generally have all the same things at their disposal for home & Birthign center births as they would in a standard hospital room. They will alert the hospital if things look like theyre wandering off the path of "normal" so that you are transported BEFORE it becomes an "emergency". Prep time even in a hospital for an emergency section can be at least 30 minutes.

Good luck, wish I knew more about your area - but I would suggest calling around, asking friends, even call LLL - they often know where the homebirth midwives are

Lala...[/b]
Once I can say for certain was a hydration issue as I had this overwhelming urge to move all the rocks in my back yard to my front yard. (wont do that again). I feel like I am very intune with my body. They did tell me that it was very common for heart murmurs at birth.

Another thing that I had forgotten to mention was that just before I was ready to birth my daughter, my blood preasure became elivated and they hooked me up to something in my drip. My labor with my daughter seemed to go alot quicker once the ball got rolling.

With my son my water broke and I felt fine. I hadnt done anything like have a baby before (he was the first) and I wasnt quite convinced that I was really in labor, I thought I wet the bed.

I think I feel confident about my abilites to have a baby at home. My husband on the other hand, I know he will support what ever I want to do, but I think he is a little nervous about the idea of this. He keeps asking me if I am sure that this is what I want to do. I think it would be a great idea.

September 1st, 2007, 09:52 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a hospital birth with my first - same High Blood pressure story

With my second - no issues My husband was VERY leery & not supportive at all at first until he met the midwife and she practically had to guarantee him shed do everything in her power to not let ANYTHIGN happen. He had a child before he met me - he was at the birth. hospital birth, induced, she was overweight, not healthy, pre-eclamptic, borderline GD, etc. After a failed induction with fetal distress, she had a cesarean, and was in the hospital for 10 days due to an infection from the cesarean. He walked out thinking the hospital saved her. By the time hed done his research & the homebirth was planned - he realized the hospital CAUSED the whole fiasco & the rest was largely a result her lifestyle & health.

Now - hes totally sold on homebirth. After you do it - youll never want to have your baby in a hospital full of sick people unless you absolutely have to!

Im in this play called Birth - www.birthonlaborday.com - and we have a talk back panel afterwards. Rae Davies, former executive director of the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services (CIMS) was here for it. She brought up something very interesting - talking about the types of major outpatient surgery that people have - boob jobs, major surgery with anesthesia that requires a lot of aftercare, etc - and they go home in 4 hours. Yet women having babies? 2 - 3 day hospital stays!!! Coincidentally, childbirth accounts for 60% (over HALF) of all hospital income/revenue and medical bills!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 4th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Generally Crispy
I think that a home birth is something that I am very interested in doing. I have been looking for a midwife that will be able to help. Hubby is still a bit unsure but very supportive. I am going to meet with someone later this month.

We've both been checked out by our docotrs and have gotten the green light to concieve. I should have ovulated over this weekend. So we started "Trying" for get pregnant. So keep your fingers crossed for me and hope that I will have a positive pregnancy test soon!!!
September 5th, 2007, 07:09 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Sue DiSilvestro LM CPM
Chandler, AZ
Cell = 602-799-4455
suedisilvestro@yahoo.com

Claudine Calligan LM CPM
Mesa, AZ
602-301-1797
calligan@yahoo.com

I found both listed on http://www.azassocmidwives.com/midwives.htm