Has anybody birthed in a hot tub?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
Super Mommy
Originally we had planned to rent a birthing tub and set it up in our kitchen, but I've suddenly realized that they weigh a lot! The smaller ones when full are over 1,000 pounds. We rent an older house with a basement and dh (an engineer) has visions of the full tub crashing right through the floor... not the birth experience I'm looking for. Another option is however to use the hot tub in the back yard. I imagine that means draining the tub, giving it a really really good cleaning and replacing the water without using the bromine or other chemicals. Has anyone tried this, dh is sort of sketched out by the idea and thinks the landlord would flip if he knew... I mostly just want to make sure that its a safe option. From what I've read, as long as the tub and water are clean (chemical free is my own assumption, am I wrong??) and no warmer than 97-100 degrees I think it should be okay. Am I forgetting anything?
TIA,
Gina

September 4th, 2007, 08:27 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Keep in mind you may or may not want to be outside. Also - you may end up likign the water cooler, but that will depend. Its easier to warm water up (IMO) than to cool it down.

Also - knees - whoo! Use some type of padding if you dont have a padded birthing pool. By the way, I'm not sure what kind of birthing tubs you were looking into but we used the La bassine (www.yourwaterbirth.com). And it was awesome. Not too heavy - the pool itself is light, easy to fill, easy to drain, and well insulated without a heater.

Maybe check into it

And - if your floors can hold your bed and a normal tub of water, it shoudl be able to hold a light weight birthing tub

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 4th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree. My husband was worried about the weight of the birthing tub too, but the floors held up fine each time.

As far as the hot tub, I think if you give it a very good cleaning and keep it chemical free, it could be a possibility. Ask your midwife for sure. Those jets can harbor all sorts of bacteria and such so that would be my only concern. I don't think I would turn them on if it were me. Plus I'm pretty sure it is unsafe to have them on when you're close to delivery anyway. I have always thought an outdoor birth would be wonderful, but you never know how you're going to feel once you're actually in labor. You may want the comfort of your home instead.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search