I'm just thinking...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Generally Crispy
I havent had a home birth before. I havent been to one, Dont know anyone who has had one. I had a friend who was going to have one years and years ago, but she had a hospital delivery instead, as were both of mine.

I have no idea what I would need. I was reading the thread about having a clean house and all (BTW I relate) maybe it was the whole "Clean" concept that got me thinking about this.

How do you protect furniture or bedding (Matress in particular) for a home birth. Does the midewife bring these things?

How messy is an actual child birth. I know that might seem like a completely odd question from someone who has had 2 children already, but when I had mine, there was esentially no mess whatsoever. I know there is in reality a mess after delivery, but in the hospital they set everything up to be as clean, quick and as clinical as possible.

I know I still have time to prepare for everything in advance (we dont have a positive test yet), but I want to make sure that I get everything that I will need to supply ahead of time because I already know if I didnt, I will really wish I had done it sooner.

(I'm still waiting to meet with a midwife) But who cleans up the mess from the delivery? Do we pick up the mess?? I'm sure the midwife will explain things to me, but now I am curious.

September 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Quote:
I havent had a home birth before. I havent been to one, Dont know anyone who has had one. I had a friend who was going to have one years and years ago, but she had a hospital delivery instead, as were both of mine.

I have no idea what I would need. I was reading the thread about having a clean house and all (BTW I relate) maybe it was the whole "Clean" concept that got me thinking about this.[/b]
My fifth was my first homebirth, and I didn't have any experience with this either. It really isn't as complicated as you think.

Quote:
How do you protect furniture or bedding (Matress in particular) for a home birth. Does the midewife bring these things?[/b]
I cover the mattress with a plastic sheet (we actually used a shower curtain). There are disposable bed-pads that come in handy. Actually, both times I've delivered at home I ended up hardly using the bed at all. First time I was kneeling in the floor against the bed, and second time I ended up in the bathroom. I would suggest you plan on taking care of that part yourself, although the mw may bring things with her.

How messy is an actual child birth. I know that might seem like a completely odd question from someone who has had 2 children already, but when I had mine, there was esentially no mess whatsoever. I know there is in reality a mess after delivery, but in the hospital they set everything up to be as clean, quick and as clinical as possible.

First homebirth, my water broke during the pushing phase. I was kneeling over two or three disposable pads, and all the "mess" from giving birth was soaked up by the pads and thrown away. Didn't even get the floor wet. The second time my water broke while I was on the toilet, and I delivered kneeling over a towel. Oh, and then there is the bowl for the afterbirth that can also catch some of the fluid, blood, and of course the placenta.

I know I still have time to prepare for everything in advance (we dont have a positive test yet), but I want to make sure that I get everything that I will need to supply ahead of time because I already know if I didnt, I will really wish I had done it sooner.

(I'm still waiting to meet with a midwife) But who cleans up the mess from the delivery? Do we pick up the mess?? I'm sure the midwife will explain things to me, but now I am curious.

From what I remember the midwife's assistants cleaned up after my first homebirth. I don't remember either of us having to do anything other than dispose of the placenta. My second home delivery was unassisted, but there was just two extra towels to wash and DH buried the placenta.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

September 6th, 2007, 03:15 PM
JerseyJess's Avatar Super Mommy
They usually advise you to make your bed in layers of older sheets with a plastic sheet under the top layer (we tried this but it was too hot so we took it off) Like Jennifer, I also gave birth kneeling on towels and my water didn't release until pushing. The towels were actually on top of a shower curtain liner, so all the "mess" was very contained and very easy to discard. My midwives cleaned up afterwards.
Tabbitha Eve-7
Tyler Anthony-3
Jackson Bryce born 11/30! 7lbs 12oz/ 21.5in

<span style="color:#9932CC">“If you don’t know your options, you don’t have any.”-Diane Korte and Roberta Scaer

“Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” Jeannine Parvati Baker

“Anything I’ve ever done that ultimately was worthwhile…initially scared me to death.” Betty Bender
September 6th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had many of the same questions when we started researching having a homebirth. We recently bought all the supplies needed and it was under $100 for everything. Our midwife does clean up after birth and we have a lot of waterproof pads and towels ready We have our bed made up with two vinyl flannel backed tablecloths but we are planning a water birth so it's likely I won't even deliver there. Good luck with your research, I found that after meeting with my midwife the choice was very easy to make, it just felt right for us.
September 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had Mariska in the bathroom so I don't know about bedding protection but we laid towels over the whole floor (I should mention that my bathroom is only 5 by 10) so the only cleanup there was to do was to throw about ten towels in the wash and throw the tupperware full of placenta into the freezer. Quick and easy!
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

September 8th, 2007, 07:08 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Quote:
We recently bought all the supplies needed and it was under $100 for everything.[/b]
When my midwife brought my birthkit she made the comment, "Isn't it funny that hospitals make it seem so complicated when almost everything you really need could fit into a shoebox?" So true!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

September 10th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Generally Crispy
Someone mentioned the placenta going into the freezer. I dont understand that. Is it supposed to be kept in the freezer? Why

I think I may have found a solution to a bed covering. We have one of those Memory foam matresses and I found a Cover (More like a giant form fitting pillow case) for our matress. It is waterproof and even washable. It said says that it can be "wiped clean" or machine washed. It can be left on all the time. It doesnt feel Papery or plasticy either. Which is good because I am always worried about anything getting on the mattress.

September 10th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Veteran
Most birth kits include a rubber sheet for the matress. Useful even if you're not having a home birth as you never know when your water might break. Mine broke in bed at night one night with #3.

The mess really depends on how much you're moving around and where you are. I'm planning to labor a lot in the water this time and hopefully give birth in the water, so that contains a lot of the mess. The midwives even set up and then take down/clean the birthing tub. I'll probably lay a tarp under the tub and then leading tot he bathroom as they usually get you out of the water to deliver the placenta. Probably do that in the bathroom for easy clean-up. But really, it's a lot less mess than you might think, unless you're hemoraging or something. All easily dealt with.

Oh, and I imagine the person who put the placenta in the freezer either birthed in the winter and the ground was frozen so it had to be stored until it could be buried, or they simply didn't have time to do it right away and needed to store it until they could. Most people bury it, though I have heard some other stories.......a little scary to me!
Beth

September 10th, 2007, 01:39 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Someone mentioned the placenta going into the freezer. I dont understand that. Is it supposed to be kept in the freezer? Why[/b]
Well you can't dispose of a placenta with your regular garbage because it is considered a human body part - so it needs to be buried. Some couples freeze it until they are able to bury it appropriately. We've always buried it right away because I just don't like the idea of a placenta in my freezer with all the food.
September 12th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Generally Crispy
LOL That makes sense that you cant just throw things like that away.
September 12th, 2007, 04:14 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's nice to read about the experiences of other "been there and done that" moms. I've been a little worried about the mess factor too, although I've heard from others that they were surprised at how clean it all was (with a little help from the midwives, of course.)

I'm hoping to give birth in water, and the birthing tub will probably be in our living room, near the fireplace...so already, I'm thinking...how to get out of the water, dripping who-knows-what, get across the nearly-white living room carpet, up the steps, and across the WHITE carpet in the bedroom, without ruining it all! Maybe I'll just have them make a trail of old towels to the bathroom. THAT should keep DH busy for a while!
September 13th, 2007, 02:19 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
ragmama - my midwife suggested buying a few shower liners for just that reason. If you need to get across a carpeted area is a cheap solution. they can even be cut to make walkways!

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
September 14th, 2007, 02:29 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's a really good idea - probably more reliable than towels, too. Thanks!
September 16th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Generally Crispy
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has shared thier experinces with me. I am looking forward to having a home birth very much (just as soon as I get pregnant)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search