Newborn procedures...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just discussed them with my midwife today, and I'm trying to figure out what to go with, what to nix - eye ointment, vitamin K, PKU, etc. Did any of you have any of these, or do you plan to?

I'm pretty sure we're opting out of the eye ointment. Just no real need for us.

Not sure about the vitamin K - I'll have to read up on this one. My midwife said that as long as we're staying pretty close to home for the first eight days or so (and I'm pretty sure we will) that it's not really necessary. But I'll have to research it to death to make a decision anyway.

Not sure about the PKU either, although we're leaning toward this one. I hate that we'll have to take her to the pediatrician in the first 48 hours to have it done...and I remember how horrible it was with Rachael, and just really don't want to go through it again. But, just in case... I'm also dreading having the discussion about delaying vaccines with my pediatrician that soon.

So what are your experiences with these in a home birth setting?
September 14th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We decided not to do the eye ointment, opted to wait and see on the Vitamin K and we will do the PKU screening. On the vitamin K she explained that if the birth was traumatic to the baby(like if the baby had bruising from being against the pubic bone for a long time, or certainly in the event of a transfer where there was forceps or a vacuum used) that she usually recommends it. So, as long as the birth process is smooth we won't get it. As for the PKU, I'm with you, I'd want to know just in case. My midwife said that the actual poke to get the blood isn't what the babies mind, it's that she has to hold their foot that usually makes them cry.

September 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM
My midwife doesn't do the PKU...I really wish she would, I'd feel so much more comfortable with her than with the pediatrician (who would most likely not want me to nurse or hold the baby while they're drawing blood, and I'm DOING one or the other!)

She doesn't typically do vitamin K either, but told me that she would get it if I wanted it...after reading up on it a bit, I think we'll opt out unless, like you said, there's a high chance that she would need it. Assuming the nice, peaceful birth at home, I don't think it'll be an issue. I've read too, that mom's taking vitamin K supplements will get it to baby quickly through colostrum and breastmilk, so I just emailed my midwife to ask about starting on that.
September 14th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We didn't do any of those, though I am not opposed to the PKU we just never got around to doing it (his first pediatrician appointment was at 4 months old).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 15th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We will only do the PKU. I think it's a useful test to have done. A nurse will come to our house the day after the birth to do the test.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
September 15th, 2007, 11:30 AM
JerseyJess's Avatar Super Mommy
We didn't do the eye ointment but we did do the vitamin K (I have low platelets so it was precautionary). I had a ped come to my home about 12hrs after baby was born-that was GREAT! And my midwife came back 3 days later and did the PKU herself with dh holding baby.
Tabbitha Eve-7
Tyler Anthony-3
Jackson Bryce born 11/30! 7lbs 12oz/ 21.5in

<span style="color:#9932CC">“If you don’t know your options, you don’t have any.”-Diane Korte and Roberta Scaer

“Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” Jeannine Parvati Baker

“Anything I’ve ever done that ultimately was worthwhile…initially scared me to death.” Betty Bender
September 15th, 2007, 06:20 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Just a thought, but you might try to find a pediatrician that you are more comfortable with, if that is possible.

If I remember correctly, we didn't do any of the newborn screens. We didn't take DS to a pediatrician for a check-up until he was 2 weeks.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

September 15th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I really like our pediatrician for most things...and honestly, I don't know HOW she'll react to our decision to birth at home, delay procedures and vaccines, etc. We did everything with Rachael "by the book" (before I knew any better than to question what was normal.) And in our area, absolutely everyone seems to do things that way, just go along with what the doctor says. I've never known a single person 'in real life' to have a home birth or question the vax schedule. I'm wondering how many our ped has been exposed to, if any.

Is there a list somewhere of mom-friendly pediatricians? If not, there should be!
September 19th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
If you are looking for a more AP friendly doctor, check out this Yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AP_Doctor_Referral/

If you don't want to join, I can easily forward you the names of the doctor's listed in your area. I don't mind at all.

As for us, we won't be doing the eye ointment, and are still researching the Vitamin K and the PKU. Not sure what we'll do yet. But luckily I have a while before I need to make those decisions.

Also, to find a more AP friendly doctor, check out your local LLL. Thats actually how I found ours.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
September 19th, 2007, 05:19 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No eye ointment, unnecessary for us.

Yes to Vitamin K, orally.

PKU, yes - but the health nurse comes to our house and does it the next day. No need to take baby anywhere.
September 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
I have decided to do the vitamin K. I don't know what the PKU is and my sort of scatter brained midwife hasn't said anything to me about it. My pediatrician said she wanted me to bring baby in 24 hrs after birth. But I am not doing to do that. I will wait until I can travel with the baby to take him in. Do they do PKU tests in the peds office?

What are the pro's and con's with the eye ointment? Midwife hasn't mentioned that either.

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
September 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eye drops are used as prophylactic treatment because certain STD's can cause blindness if baby comes in contact during birth. I *think*gonorrhea and chlamydia are the problem ones in terms of blindness. Anyway, in hospital they give ALL babies eye ointment simply because it's easier to medicate all newborns than it is to try and figure out if a woman has STD's or not. I mean, she may have cleared the STD screen in early pregnancy...but what if she's been with someone new since then? Or what if her partner was? Or what if she's embarrassed and doesn't admit it? By the time a more recent test could be done, the baby could have already contracted an infection. That's why they do it, but midwives are generally more open to discussing whether this treatment is actually necessary for each individual baby - given the risk factors (or lack thereof) in each unique case.

If you are monogamous and have tested negative for STD's, there is no reason to have the drops. If you've never been tested and either you or DH have slept with other people in your lifetime, it's probably a good idea to do the drops just in case (or get an STD screen).
September 20th, 2007, 06:02 AM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
Well since DH and I were both virgins on wedding night (imagine that) I think I will opt out!

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
September 20th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Even tho I am having a hospital birth, I am opting out of the eye gunk. I may have the Vit K shot depending on delivery. Hep B will be a no no. I will get the PKU done, it can't hurt to know if something is wrong before you have problems.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search