Do you participate in your DDC?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2007, 01:16 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just wondering if our expectant mommies participate in their due date clubs?

I do...or at least, I try to. I'm the only home birth-er (that I know of, that's on our due date list) due in November, so I'm all alone over there. And it's hard to keep up with aaaaaaall the OB questions! A good chunk of them seem to be first-time mommies too, so overall, I just don't feel as though I fit in as well there as I do, say, here.

So how about you?
September 18th, 2007, 03:31 PM
JerseyJess's Avatar Super Mommy
I post on my December board (we're neighbors-feel free to pop in!-lol) There's one other poster who's planning a homebirth. In addition to planning another homebirth, I'm also a birth doula and childbirth educator so it's sometimes REALLY hard for me not to comment but if someone asks an opinion or gives misinformation, I'll speak up.
Tabbitha Eve-7
Tyler Anthony-3
Jackson Bryce born 11/30! 7lbs 12oz/ 21.5in

<span style="color:#9932CC">“If you don’t know your options, you don’t have any.”-Diane Korte and Roberta Scaer

“Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” Jeannine Parvati Baker

“Anything I’ve ever done that ultimately was worthwhile…initially scared me to death.” Betty Bender
September 18th, 2007, 04:35 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Sometimes my DDC is amusing and sometimes just downright pitiful. I read maybe 1 out of every 20 topics posted.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

September 18th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I did and will when I am pregnant next time. I love my July 06 PR Mommies. I hated all the OB-worship threads and the incredible mainstreamness while we were pregnant. I was even once accused of practically CAUSING problems in my unborn baby because I wasn't having any u/s! But I'd give information as much as possible. I figure it's good to at least have someone around who is "crazy" because you never know when someone might start thinking. Twinkle was in my DDC and she's pregnant again and having a homebirth this time around (birthing center for her July 06 baby). After we had the babies sometimes I'd just not even open certain threads (CIO/Baby Boot Camp for example). I still love the PR even so!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 18th, 2007, 04:46 PM
4boys
I do somewhat. I don't always feel I fit in but usually I avoid topics that irk me so as not to get myself into trouble. I think there are 2 or 3 others planning homebirths (the above-mentioned Twinkle I believe is one of them). It does bother me a little that most of them are so mainstream, but again, most of them are first time mommies and I think I was more like that with my first when I didn't know much and just trusted my doctor. So I can't really blame them. It is fun though to talk to other people who are as far along as I am, especially at the beginning when we weren't telling people yet. So it's a bit of both love and hate.
September 18th, 2007, 06:53 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
In addition to planning another homebirth, I'm also a birth doula and childbirth educator so it's sometimes REALLY hard for me not to comment but if someone asks an opinion or gives misinformation, I'll speak up.[/b]
I'm a birth doula too, Jessica - and have the same problem with not commenting as often as I REALLY want to!

Glad I'm not alone here...
September 18th, 2007, 07:30 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hardly. Its pretty clear I dont fit in, and I feel like the lone one sometimes. Homebirthing, BFing, non vaxing, delayed solids, the whole 9 - my daughter is 11 months and 1 week and although she was born in the early part of the month by the time everyone got induced she was practically the last one born. I thought for sure wed be one of the first b/c of being due in the early part of Oct. But noooo....

I do post from time to time, but i rarely get responses & when I do its from the mods (feels like its out of obligation but I could be wrong), so I try not to post there much. I just dont feel like i fit in

I am definitely more at home here.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 19th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lurking from ODDC

I am not a homebirther altho, I wish I was and considered it for the pregnancy. I just live to far away from my hospital for me and DHs comfort since I am VBACing. I also have chosen not to vaccinate anymore (my dd has had some), BF, leave intact.

Reading the posts sometimes make me shudder in complete disgust or disbelief. I do participate alot, but I have a few mommas there that are homebirthers.

I do have an OBGYN since I have no other choices right now, but I couldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. I can't believe all the blind trust they do put into their OBs.

The earliest due mommas are starting to be induced next week, which would put them about 39 weeks. I have been thru an induction and was totally ignorant to it. Oh they will learn the hard way like I did. It is just sad.

We have some breech babies and at 34, 35 weeks the OBs are trying to schedule c/s already. My dd didn't turn until 39 weeks. I just can't believe they put halos over their OBs heads sometimes.

With that said, our DDC is very respectful towards each others decisions. Nobody makes rude or ignorant comments to women that are taking a different route than the "norm". I am grateful to be in a great DDC.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

September 19th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
Im in the ODDC as well, and participate daily if there are interesting topics. I try not to be preachy, but I do like to educate and inform. I try to remind women that it's their birth, and decisions should be made by them. I am not a doula or a midwife or an LC< but Ive been a birth junkie for about 8 yrs, researching preg, birth, breastfeeding, vaxing for about that long, and now circ as well.

I find the hardest time for me to partricipate in a DDC is when it becomes "fashionable" to start doing CIO with the baby. I hve to sit on my hands. But during the inductions and births, and the slew of non medically necessary or clearly medical staff caused c sections, it is difficult to not post my feelings about them. It is a fact that about 1/3 of women will have c sections in any given ddc, its the rate of c's in America. And about half, maybe more, of those c sections will not have been necessary or will have been caused by intervention of some sort. goes along with the rate of c's in America. And you just cant post that in someone's birth story thread. Most dont want to hear anything about it, since you arent an OB and you werent there at the time. Everyone is happy that mom and baby are okay, and that's what you post in threads like that... nobody needs to hear how what went wrong was avoidable in their first weeks post partum.

Our DDC has been very respectful toward one another, and I expect that to continue.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

September 19th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I host the July 2006 PR and am an active member on my new ddc, the April 08 DDC. Yes, there are a lot of mainstream mommies here on JM, and I might be looked at as the "cookie one" who wants to have her baby at home, or wants to delay solids, or doesn't vaccinate. Oh well. i figure, if I can get people to question their decisions, and even do research into their decisions, then its a good thing. I certainly don't expect people to go out and change their lifestyle, but I do sorta expect people to research important decisions they have to make for their family. Sure, I might not agree with their decisions... but to know that they did their own research beyond "what my OB told me" then I think its a good thing.

I know there is one other mommy on the April DDC that is planning a homebirth. I've already heard some negative comments from the people there about homebirthing... but I try not to let it bother me.

One of my biggest pet peeves are all the threads about inducing, especially when those threads start creeping up at 34-35 weeks.... then I get annoyed.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
September 19th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Veteran
I guess I wouldbe the other one in the Dec DDC planning a home birth, Jessica!

I speak up some, but I tend to get blasted back or just ignored. It kills me how many people are ALREADY planning a C-section, I mean, we have 2-3 more months. Why would you be planning one now???? And they are already talking about inductions and when to do them, because they claim they never went into labor on their own last time. hmm....yes, I've heard lots of stories of babies that just stayed in forever. lol. They're not willing to wait past 40 wks and 1 day and plaenty of them are talking of doing it earlier for convenience. I just shake my head.

Anyway, there are so few like minded people, I fit in much better here. I can't deal with people who believe everything their OB tells them and everything the mainstream media puts out their. If you at least read and research and find out for yourself then I'm OK with your decision, whatever it is!

Oh,a nd here's one that drives me batty....

"I'm not going to write a birth plan because I think you have to just go with the flow. You never know what will happen, right? I'd like to do it without drugs though...."

I see this so many times and what do you want to bet they end up with about every intervention possible?????

September 19th, 2007, 04:49 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm also from the ODDC. There are so many ladies there I find it hard to even contribute sometimes! Not that they are rude, it's just overwhelming the number of posts. I mostly just read and occasionally I will throw something in.

I would probably fit in the middle of the two extremes though. I am doing my first home birth and I do exclusively breastfeed, but I also vaccinate and I plan on circumcising this boy. However, I have done my research and these are the things I feel comfortable with. I totally respect the parent's decisions though and am not down on anyone for doing things differently than I do.

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
September 19th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I'm also from the ODDC. There are so many ladies there I find it hard to even contribute sometimes! Not that they are rude, it's just overwhelming the number of posts. I mostly just read and occasionally I will throw something in.[/b]

I know what you mean. Sometimes I get aggravated because there are sooooooo many posts. It is hard to keep up with whose what and where, you know? Alot of them are spam I feel like too. I am more apt to respond to a mom with kids already rather than a first time mom. I do try to respond to them to but sometimes I think they are being rediculous and I was taught that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. I try to remind them that birth is unpredictable (not so much at home, but it can happen), especially if they are going to the hospital to have a bunch of interventions and be where you are not really comfortable and hooked up to all these monitors.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

September 20th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is an odd response I"m sure since i'm not even in a DDC yet, but I've been on JM for a year and a half, and been researching heavily for about 2 years. My husband and I decided on homebirth a while ago and I"ve been on this board for awhile (although just lurking lately as we aren't preggo yet)

anyways I read some DDC's as some of my friends are in them.. and i have to say that some of the New mom posts annoy me, and I"m not a mom yet! I do understand though that some of them have never done research, but I just assume that when I do finally join a DDC I"ll be like many of you- more educated than some, and needing to hold back! I certainly wont have all the answers because I"m not a mom yet and I"ve never done it.. its kind of a wierd place to be in! I have no child thus I have no credibility to some, yet I've read more than most of the new moms in these groups

Reading doesnt make you an expert and no book prepares you-this I know. however.. I wish they'd at least look at multiple options instead of a 37 week induction as the "best" way to get their babies faster, or to rely totally on what they've been told.

September 20th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
Quote:
I know there is one other mommy on the April DDC that is planning a homebirth.[/b]
I am planning a home birth and due in april

I do not post much on there right now. It is hard to I think. Lots of posts are about them loosing there babies right now and that makes me sad and scared. When I get a little further along I will probably be more active.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

September 20th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I do off and on, I don't think they like me there very much tho! LOL! S'okay, I'm thick skinned. (and probably sometimes very preachy! lol!) There are 3 other homebirthers in the Sept. ddc.

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
September 27th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mikeys_mommy1_2006
Quote:
Just wondering if our expectant mommies participate in their due date clubs?

I do...or at least, I try to. I'm the only home birth-er (that I know of, that's on our due date list) due in November, so I'm all alone over there. And it's hard to keep up with aaaaaaall the OB questions! A good chunk of them seem to be first-time mommies too, so overall, I just don't feel as though I fit in as well there as I do, say, here.

So how about you?[/b]
I try to. I'm on the Nov. DDC Planning a homebirth w/my 2nd.

</div>
September 28th, 2007, 12:24 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh I know what you mean Lash... even though I wasnt even a first time mom, a lot fo the first time moms were quick to say (some directly & some not so indirectly) that basically if MD isnt behind your name, that you dont know what youre saying and that NO doctor would agree to an induction if it werent ok, or that if the dr didnt offer any other alternatives, there must be a reason.

I researched EVERYTHING... EVERYTHING. While TTC, Before TTC, Before Getting PG, WHILE getting PG. I learn something new all the time!

Something as simple as the glucose test. Most moms dont know its optional, what the risk factors are, or that theres more than one way to do - and most dont know that the way that MOST US OB's recommend you take it is probably by far the least accurate and least safe way of testing for GD. I mentioned I was doing mine a different way, and thank god I ddint have to drink the syrup (like I did with my first without knowing about better alternatives) and goodness youd think i was the antichrist! lol.

Luckily on some issues, like that, there were UK moms (or any other country for that matter) who also questioned WHY US obstetricians did some of the silly things they did.

But oh well.

It hasnt changed, really... Theres 1 or 2 moms in our DDC still BFing, and sooooooooo many would go through issues with birth, postpartum, formula feeding, and I'm not going to be all "I told you so" but it is sad to watch some of the very concerns we have when we make mothering/parenting decisions come to fruition in moms who simply would not take the time or effort to research for themselves.

And yeah, we went through phases where we had sooooooooooo much drama it was crazy, but luckily *THAT* has calmed down.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search