Not checked at my 36 week appt

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2007, 05:16 AM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
My midwife didn't do an internal exam. In a way I was glad to not be prodded at down there. On the other hand, I am always curious if anything is going on down there. Is customary to not do exams?

I would have talked to her about it, but the other midwife who will be at the birth came over to meet me last night. So it wasn't just the two of us and I didn't want to make her feel weird.

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
September 21st, 2007, 06:15 AM
Veteran
I know a lot of midwives do a cervical check at 36 weeks, but not all do. Some don't believe in doing them at all as the information really doesn't mean much and the process risks transferring more bacteria into the area.

I wouldn't worry about it, but ask her if you wish, I doubt it will make her feel uncomfortable!

Whether anything is "happening" though really doesn't tell you much. It either gets you excited and then you spend the next 3 weeks 4 cm dialated with people asking if that is "normal" or worried bacause you haven't dialated yet, which plenty of people don't do until they're actually in labor. Anyway, she may just not do it to avoid those issues!

September 21st, 2007, 07:54 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Considering progress or lack of at 36 weeks is meaningless, I'd be very glad my midwife didn't check me. My midwife doesn't to any VEs unless you specifically request them, including in labor. I appreciate that.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 21st, 2007, 12:53 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine does not do them routinely either. I was only checked after a run of 10 hour contractions that stopped to see if they had done any progression. She doesn't check in labor either unless asked or if Momma feels the urge to push.

September 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
I totally understand and I was sort of glad to not have to go through it. However, I think I may ask for it at my next appointment. I know it means nothing, but it is still fun to know!

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
September 22nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
with kaylynn, my midwife didn't check me unless i asked.

Survivor Mom - My Blog

September 23rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am 38 weeks and yet to have a vaginal exam. I have an OBGYN.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

September 24th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mikeys_mommy1_2006
Quote:
My midwife didn't do an internal exam. In a way I was glad to not be prodded at down there. On the other hand, I am always curious if anything is going on down there. Is customary to not do exams?

I would have talked to her about it, but the other midwife who will be at the birth came over to meet me last night. So it wasn't just the two of us and I didn't want to make her feel weird.[/b]
My MW dosen't do them either unless you request. I'm glad cause, that's one reason I'm not going to Dr. They don't respect your body as much to me.

</div>
September 26th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Veteran
my midwife did none the hole pregnancy an birth was so much better then giving birth with i midwifes hand down there the hole time like my 1st birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search