We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
So far in every pregnancy I have been GBS+. After doing some research and consulting with my birth coach, I decided to refuse the antibiotics at my last birth, which was in the hospital. My midwife was fine with that. My baby was fine and there was absolutely no sign of a problem. My question is for a home birth if you are GBS+ do they give you some sort of antibiotics? How is it handled at home as opposed to the hospital? Just wondering what the options are. I might just refuse the test this time. Some people freak out when you tell them that you refuse the antibiotics, but I know you ladies will understand. Thank goodness for this board!!
Typically they dont test (here anyways). Everyone is assumed to be positive, and they treat only for risk factors (prolonged rupture of membranes, vaginal checks after rupture, or prolonged pushing stage).
No antibiotics, but a treatment of hybicleanse (vaginal cleanse thats supposed to kill it), and watching the baby for signs.
Oh - and I would absolutely 100% do it at home without hesitation. I declined testing with my homebirth.
Great timing as I'm due to be tested soon. I've never had GBS and did the test with my last but this time I'm considering declining it. My midwives are CNMs and if mom's are positive than they give IV antibiotics during the birth. I have no desire for an IV, or increased risk of thrush or baby having such early exposure to antibiotics. I think I'm going to decline the test and only accept treatment if I have prolonged ROM-my last birth was 4hrs and my water released 5min before he was born, so not overly concerned.
My sis tested GBS+ and was planning a hospital birth but she had a precipitous labor, gave birth on her bathroom floor and they did not treat her daughter (which was surprising as it's a very, very conservative hospital).
Jackson Bryce born 11/30! 7lbs 12oz/ 21.5in
<span style="color:#9932CC">“If you don’t know your options, you don’t have any.”-Diane Korte and Roberta Scaer
“Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” Jeannine Parvati Baker
“Anything I’ve ever done that ultimately was worthwhile…initially scared me to death.” Betty Bender
I don't get tested. The midwife assumes all moms are "possibly" GBS+ and so watches the baby. She also takes into consideration risk factors like VEs, how long water is broken, etc. I take garlic and acidophilus through my pregnancy and those have been shown to decrease your chances of being GBS+ naturally.
~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008) Smaller on the Outside
I finally had the GBS test today, so just waiting to hear back on the results. I think I'd just rather know for sure *if* it's positive than taking the chance of stressing over it during labor.
The midwife had lots of great things to say about the Hybicleanse that Lala mentioned too - she said you could get it at most any drug store, mix with water in a peri bottle and use about every four hours during labor, and that it's probably *more* effective than antibiotics. So if mine comes back positive, I'll be rushing out to get that!!
mom to Rachael, 10 ~ Milly, 6 ~ foster mom (waiting on the next call)
I just skip the test. The number of babies who develop problems as a result is miniscule, and it's just my personal preference to avoid interventions for something that's very unlikely to affect my baby. Sometimes the "treatment" is worse than the "disease" IMO.
Mom to James 3/27/05 & Samuel 3/26/08
Hey...I was just popping in from FEB ddc..and I happen to know a few of ya.
But I asked this question my my ddc and shawna shoved me over here!! I will not be having a home birth, but I did ask for the hospital. I did have GBS+ with DD and did get the antibiotics....I seen someone speakin of increased yeast infections and UTI's...that would be me. Since the birth of my DD in 04, I have had a dramatic increase in the above and NEVER thought it was dt the antibiotic!
Thank you ALL for your great responses, I will NOT be getting ant the antibioctic this time around...in fact my hospital isnt going to like me much at all LOL I know my rights and what can occur this time around!! Thanks girls!!!
Ethan Michael 6*13*2000, Toryn Elizabeth 6*18*04, Julian Alexander 2*8*08, Jaxson Lea 5*4*12
My midwife tested me around week 33. I tested + so at my home birth I opted for the antibiotic shot. It hurt like you-know-what, but to me it was worth the piece of mind. I'm pretty opposed to ANY antibiotics, but this one was important to me for some reason. The only thing neg about it is it made me and baby more susceptible to getting thrush...ick.