In water or on land?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2007, 08:20 AM
JerseyJess's Avatar Super Mommy
I've been to numerous births where women have used water, but I myself never have. I was thinking about trying a water birth this time around-but was wondering if it was worth the expense/set up...My last labor was only 4hrs and I wonder if I'd have to time to set it up.

For those of you who've had waterbirths,
-How long did it take to set up?
-When did you decide to get in the water?
-If you didn't have a heater, was it a PITA to keep the water warm?
-What position did you give birth in?
-How long did you stay in the water afterwards?

TIA!
Tabbitha Eve-7
Tyler Anthony-3
Jackson Bryce born 11/30! 7lbs 12oz/ 21.5in

<span style="color:#9932CC">“If you don’t know your options, you don’t have any.”-Diane Korte and Roberta Scaer

“Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” Jeannine Parvati Baker

“Anything I’ve ever done that ultimately was worthwhile…initially scared me to death.” Betty Bender
October 21st, 2007, 08:48 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
-How long did it take to set up? We had the pool blown up several days in advance (to test for holes and to save time). Filling it took about 15 minutes.

-When did you decide to get in the water?
When I was beyond being uncomfortable, but in real pain and needed some relief.

-If you didn't have a heater, was it a PITA to keep the water warm? No. My husband attached a garden hose to the hot water outlet that feeds our washing machine. He also attached a spray nozzle to the end of the hose, so it was always turned on but didn't release any water until I squeezed it. Whenever the water felt too cool or when I was having a contraction, I could squeeze it for some more hot water. I start out with the pool a little over half full, because then there's lots of room for me to keep adding hot water. He had it all set up several days in advance, the hose was in the basement all ready to be hooked up when the time came.

-What position did you give birth in? With my first waterbirth (3rd child) was semi reclined, sitting on my hands with my bottom kind of floating. With my second waterbirth, I was on my hands and knees.

-How long did you stay in the water afterwards? With my first waterbirth, I stayed until after I delivered the placenta (20 minutes maybe?) With my second, I only stayed about 10 minutes. The water was really starting to cool down and I wanted to get out of all the gunk, so I waddled to the shower and delivered the placenta there.
October 21st, 2007, 09:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
For those of you who've had waterbirths,

-How long did it take to set up? I think it took my husband about an hour to set it up and get it all the way filled. The filling takes the longest because it is so big.

-When did you decide to get in the water? I got in around 4-5 cm, then got out after a little while. It is most useful at the end- say from transition to birth.

-If you didn't have a heater, was it a PITA to keep the water warm? It wasn't a pain for me, but I don't think my husband enjoyed having to boil water and carry them up and down the stairs to heat it up. But that was only after about 8 hours of labor. If your labors are quick, there probably won't be a need to reheat the water.

-What position did you give birth in? One was upright on my knees. The other was semi-reclined, leaning against the back of the pool.

-How long did you stay in the water afterwards? For awhile. It's good to keep the baby in the water to keep him warm and relaxed. For one I got out to deliver the placenta. This last birth, I delivered the placenta while still in the water.

I'd say it's definitely worth it. I could never do another dry birth again.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
October 21st, 2007, 12:05 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH was very into the thought of waterbirth but I'm a land lover. I labored in the water of our tub which would have been large enough for me to deliver in but it just didn't happen that way.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

October 22nd, 2007, 11:10 PM
Of my homebirths 3 where on land and the last 3 in water. All of them went good but after I had my first waterbirth that was the way for me. I'm quite small and only was 125 and my biggest for the waterbirths so I could fit comfortably in our tub. I was in the same position for all three. I was in the sitting position with a small pillow used in a swimming pool positioned under my but(for comfort) and one behind my head. I was told the water helps your labor go faster and I would agree. Honestly it has been awhile so I don't remember the exact time I got in. I just listened to my body and knew it was getting close. I just felt so comfortable and relaxed in the water. For two of them I stayed in the water and delivered the placenta for one of them I put a pan in the toilet and delivered the placenta there. Each time after the placenta was delivered the tub was cleaned out and then fresh water with some herbs was put in the tub. Baby and I would get in together. We would have the door to the bathroom shut and a heater on so it was plenty warm for my precious new one.
October 23rd, 2007, 04:25 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
I got in the water at 7cm right after my water broke. The relief was incredible and I wish I would have gotten in sooner. I wanted a water birth but when it came time to push I wasn't feeling the urge like I needed and I felt like the water was keeping me too buoyant to push. So I got out and tried a birth stool. Then I got dizzy and the midwives wanted me on hands and knees. So that is how he came out! More on the birth later!

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
October 23rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Haven't had my homebirth yet (DD was a typical hospital birth *sigh* ) but we're planning a water birth for this baby. Already have the pool, and I'm sure I'll have DH inflating it at the first sign of anything happening. Like Shawna said, he's planning to have the hose attached to the hot water outlet at the washing machine - but we hadn't thought of the spray nozzle, and that's a GREAT idea! I'll just be borrowing that one.

Loved reading these answers from the BTDT mommies!
October 23rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
4boys
I like reading these too, lots of great ideas. I would like a water birth and I'm pretty sure I'll have a birth pool for at home this time. I can't wait! I have just heard SO many good things about it. My last birth was at the hospital with my midwife attending and we tried a birth pool but it wasn't comfortable enough or deep enough; the water didn't cover my whole belly and I think maybe that's why I didn't get very much relief from it at all. Needless to say, I will not be using that pool this time!
October 28th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'm a land birther. My midwife wants me to try a waterbirth.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search