So I need a birth pool

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 25th, 2007, 10:09 AM
4boys
I need to buy myself a birth pool and have no idea where to begin. So if I could get some suggestions on websites, brand names, or ones that you used and loved, that would be just awesome! Also, if you could list features you liked or didn't like. Thank you ladies!
October 25th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I am in the same boat as you

I would love to hear what the other ladies have to say

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

October 25th, 2007, 04:36 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh I remember those days - it can be abit overwhelming. So far the best weve found was at www.yourwaterbirth.com

We bought the La Bassine. i personally felt like it was the best for the money, its a popular brand, etc. Its oval - big enough for 2 people without taking up the whole room (6 ft long by 5 ft wide), a cushioned bottom for going easy on your butt & knees, thick insulated walls to hold heat even if you dont ahve a heater (which we didnt), easy to blow up, take down, handles inside for support & comes in wonderfully handy when pushing and just moving a big pregnant butt around lol.

I loved loved loved it. Cant think of anythign I didnt like about it. It was filled up for 4+ hours, and we never had to put any extra water or hot water in it (and the hot water ran out partially through the fill b/c we forgot to adjust our water heater).

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
October 25th, 2007, 09:30 PM
4boys
Thank you. I have a close friend who had a water birth and this is also the one she used. She also said she loved it and would buy another in a heartbeat. I have found a seller in Canada so I am looking into this one. Thanks for the reply!
October 25th, 2007, 09:43 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't used it yet, but my midwife recommended this one from birthwithsol.com. She's attended births where it was used before and said she's never had any problems with it, and it's been plenty big enough for two people - and only $36.96, so much cheaper than most pools. (They have a smaller one on the same site for even less, but I wanted to be sure I have plenty of room and depth!) So it's here and in a box in the living room...need to get it out and take a closer look now, but I've heard nothing but good things.
October 25th, 2007, 10:56 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most important tip:
1. Inflatable bottom!!!! If you get one with a flat bottom, your butt will be on the hard floor while you labour and your tailbone will not be happy when the birth is finally over. LOL The inflatable bottom is like sitting on a cloud!

We bought this one from our midwife (the smaller one):
http://www.birthwithlove.com/categories/it...uarian+Birthing

She said it's her most popular seller, the big one can take up a lot of space and the smaller one really does offer all the room you'd possibly need for birth. I've used it for two births now.
October 26th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Ok this might be a stupid question... but I'm assuming you run a hose of some sort from the kitchen sink? And then how do you get all the water out of the tub? I really do apologize if these are stupid questions, I just don't get it. LOL

I had a water birth with my second, but it was at a birthing center so I had no part of the set up or anything, not to mention it was a real tub. I do want to have a waterbirth at this homebirth in April, but obviously am curious about the logistics.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 26th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Veteran
There are a few ones good for waterbirth on www.preciousarrows.com I'm trying to decide whether to buy one of these or rent the AquaDoula my midwife has......

As for filling & emptying, you can connect a hose either to your washer/dryer connection or to you shower after taking the head off. I don't know if the kitchen sink works. These were the two places my MW said. You'll want a clean hose for this! For emptying you'll want a pump. My MW brings the pump and takes care of that end. Check with yours tto see if they will do it or if you need to figure this out!

October 26th, 2007, 08:47 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can get a connector & hose from like Lowes (get a marine quality hose) and attach the hose to any regular faucet (bathroom or kitchen) and run it to the tub (just make sure you get a long enough hose!).

To empty - id recommend a pump. You can get them fairly reasonable, you dont need a heavy duty one, and you cna just use a hose to run fromt he pump out the window or into a tub.

We didnt have a pump - so my husband emptied it with a pail - one bucketful at a time lol. When it got low enough for him and another person to carry it outside they did & dumped it lol.

Not fun & it took about an hour or so.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
October 26th, 2007, 12:42 PM
4boys
Thank you all for the recommendations!! This is very helpful.

ETA: Has anyone ever used the Electra pool on the yourwaterbirth.com website? I can't really find any reviews on that one.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search