Preparing emotionally to birth at home?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 5th, 2007, 12:52 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been so busy *physically* preparing for our home birth - getting all the supplies ready, cleaning the house (not that it'll ever be "clean enough"), filling up on EPO and raspberry leaf tea, etc. - that I've only just started thinking about preparing emotionally about what's to come. And I have no idea where to begin.

To be perfectly honest, I am very stressed right now - a family issue that's just resurfaced, and I can't see it being resolved before our little girl is ready to make her entrance. So, on top of that, now I'm worried about how the additional stress might affect her birth.

I've told DH that I refuse to put myself unnecessarily into stressful situations this month - but that's hard to do when you live with it. So, any tips on de-stressing when you're surrounded by it, in order to prepare yourself emotionally?

I have been SO looking forward to having my little girl at home, for all these months...and now that I'm just three weeks from my due date, I'm feeling more scared and apprehensive about the whole thing. I guess it could be just that the time is so close now, but I really feel that it's more stress-related than anything.
November 5th, 2007, 06:32 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you considered asking a friend to host a blessingway?

Its a great way of mentally & emotionally preparing for any birth but particularly a home birth since it kind of cleanses & prepares the space/ But having that focus on you, and the rite of passage, and making a ceremonial event out of it all really helps release the stresses, worries, address emotional & mental issues, and brings you back to center

Even if your friends have never done one theyre easy to put together & IMO theyre a darned necessity

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
November 6th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Wow, I wish I could say that one thing to make you relax and fell secure in your decision!! 6 of my 8 children were born at home. Some of the things that I would do to prepare for my home births were: take a bath and rub my tummy talk to my baby and say positive statements. Such as everything will be O.K. Birth is a natural thing. My body will know what to do. I would be breathing long deep breaths. I would then visualize going through the birth. I think this helped because then when it came time for the real thing everything seemed real natural and just kinda flowed. The most important thing is to find time for just YOU!! I would also rub tummy while I was laying on the couch and say statements. I wanted to feel such an emotional attachment to my baby. I wanted to know it wasn't just for me but being relaxed and calm was going to help my baby too.
As far as housework you need to slow down and save some of that energy for birth. Believe me their will always be dust and clothes laying around, at least in my house their is. But, you know it doesn't do anyone any harm. I hope if your husband sees you this way he will start to pick up a little bit of the slack.
I would also keep a journal and write positive remarks in it. I tried to block out all negative thoughts. I only concentrated on the positive. I would continue to do my kegel exercises, rub my tummy with vitamin E, drink my raspberry leaf tea and let other people do as much as they wanted for me. I wanted to know I was in control and that the things I did would affect the outcome.
You have so many well wishes coming from people you don't even know. I'll be thinking of you, and hoping to hear updates on how things are going.
Good-Luck!!!

Lin
November 6th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Spend some time alone just talking to your baby. Communicate how you both have this work ahead of you and how youre going to work together to bring her into the world.

Some other things I do are prepare a birth altar - mine was dressed with family pictures, objects blessed during my Blessingway Ceremonies, a labor candle, flowers, etc...

I also journal about the pregnancy and write a letter to baby. Reading birth books, taking bubble baths, meditating, yoga, taking nature walks, those things help too.

I hope you are able to find some peace and enjoy these last few weeks of pregnancy.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search