To late?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didnt even know what an OB was until I was about 12 weeks pregnant, so everything is pretty new to me. I've been doing a lot of reading and water/home birth really really appeals to me. I didnt know there were options other than going to the hospital. I'm not comfortable with the thought of going to a hospital, especially the one here since a majority of the nurses arent "very nice" so to say. To put it bluntly, patients are an inconvienience to them and snap at you if you so much ask them a simple question. Not like they got in the field to help people or anything....

I just found out recently to have a midwife for a home birth you need one from the beginning of pregnancy instead of an OB, which I have. I just had an u/s yesterday (she didnt give me pictures! ) and found out my placenta has moved well out of the way cause it was low at 20 weeks. Im 28 weeks now, would it be to late to try to switch to one to have a home birth? I could see myself being stubborn enough to stay at home and call an ambulance just to cut the cord for me, I really really dont want a hospital birth!!!

November 10th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I switched to a midwife at 37 weeks. Ask a midwife if she'll take you. The worst she can say is no and you won't know unless you ask.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

November 10th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I switched to my midwife at around 28 weeks. We moved to a different state and before that I was seeing my family physician. I loved my home birth!

November 10th, 2007, 02:16 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I made the switch close to 30 weeks

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
November 12th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mikeys_mommy1_2006
I was 4 mths my first visit to my mw.

</div>
November 13th, 2007, 09:20 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Definitely look into a midwife if a home birth is what you're most comfortable with - I don't see any reason you'd "have" to have one from the beginning. Good luck finding one, 28 weeks isn't really *that* late!
November 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Regular
I just switched to a midwife officially LAST NIGHT and I am 29 weeks. Its never too late.

November 16th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Wow thanks thats encouraging

I mentioned I want a home birth to my bf and he told our landlord when he saw him. Well, our landlord said that having a baby at home is the stupidest thing any woman could do. If there are complications the baby can die cause it can take less than 3 minutes. Regardless that we live 5 mins away from the hospital. Of course, this got my bf all freaked out and told me I can't do it and that I'm being stupid and how babies and mothers have been dying for years and years from home births, how hospitals are better, blah blah blah. He kept going on and on about complications and the baby and or me dying. I told him to do some research on it before he completely loses his mind. He said that I went behind his back and talking to other people about it before him. No I didnt. This post was the only time I mentioned it to anyone else.

Couple days later he said that hes ok with it, he just doesnt want to risk any complications and that hes not going to tell me no even tho he doesnt want me to risk it. I think a lot of it is that I didnt back down about it. He doesnt know that I want a water birth just yet. I mentioned it months ago when I first read about it and he said there is no way HIS baby is being born in the water with god knows what floating around in the water. He needs to do some reading, really, cause my What To Expect When You're Expecting books dont go over home/water births very much at all, neither do my magazines. Yes, he does read those, especially the father roles parts. He can be insensitive at times because he feels left out with my pregnancy and all, (I cant help that Im the woman and I get most of the attention!!) but hes amazing with kids and very excited to be a dad. Hes one of those guys that kids just absolutely love and animals too. Hes got amazing patience. More than me thats forsure. I just hope he comes around. I found a number for midwives in my city which isnt far from where I live so I'm going to call on monday and see what happens.

November 19th, 2007, 10:47 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would suggest finding a MW and having your SO air his concerns with her - who better to address them than a pro right?!

Also - there are a ton of articles about the safety of homebirth, and statistically for low risk women homebirths result in fewer complications, a smaller risk of maternal & infant mortality & morbidity, etc.

Pull up some articles, and put him some reading material in the bathroom (or somewhere!).

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
November 19th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Quote:
I would suggest finding a MW and having your SO air his concerns with her - who better to address them than a pro right?!

Also - there are a ton of articles about the safety of homebirth, and statistically for low risk women homebirths result in fewer complications, a smaller risk of maternal & infant mortality & morbidity, etc.

Pull up some articles, and put him some reading material in the bathroom (or somewhere!).

Lala...[/b]

My thoughts exaclty. Im just waiting for the midwife center to call me back. Hope I get a call before I have to go to work!!

I think hes all paranoid because hes 34, this is his first, hes always wanted to be a dad. I had a chemical pregnancy in Oct last year and he got super excited then disappointed. His mom had babies die on her. 4 out of 6 survive, 5 boys. In the 60's she had twin boys, one died, he just recently found out his name. She was supposed to have a girl later and she also died. I think she was a still birth. His mom told him when he told her Im pregnant that all her boys kicked on the right and the girl on the left. Which was like ours when she first started...now shes all over!! Shes got eight legs I swear lol So hes thinking that theres a chance that our girl could die too.....he worries to much really. Im not concerned at all.

November 19th, 2007, 03:41 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I hope that you find midwives to support you.

I wanted to say, if you go unassisted and call the ambulance, unless the baby or you need help, it is probably the worst thing you could do. You will (more than likely) treated like absolute dog cr**.

November 21st, 2007, 08:54 AM
I FINALLY got a hold of the office, she said she should call me back within a week, and she thinks she has a spot for me!! *crosses fingers* She seemed surprised when I told her my due date, but not so surprised that this is my first lol.

Brandy, I hear ya. But at my hospital, you get treated like dog crap no matter what. I have been to the ER, had surgery there and been to the womens health clinic and been treated like crap every time. One time I went to the ER for strep throat and no food or water for three days (lived in country with no car) and asked one of the nurses if I give them the clipboard (from triage nurse) or hold onto it. "EXCUSE ME, we were TALKING how can you be so rude?? Go sit over there until we call you" From the nurses!! I'm sorry that I interrupted their conversation about what they were having for supper that night . If I wasnt in so much pain I would have let them have it. Dam strep throat. I could go on forever....

November 27th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Granola_In_Training's Avatar Member
Quote:
I FINALLY got a hold of the office, she said she should call me back within a week, and she thinks she has a spot for me!! *crosses fingers* She seemed surprised when I told her my due date, but not so surprised that this is my first lol.

Brandy, I hear ya. But at my hospital, you get treated like dog crap no matter what. I have been to the ER, had surgery there and been to the womens health clinic and been treated like crap every time. One time I went to the ER for strep throat and no food or water for three days (lived in country with no car) and asked one of the nurses if I give them the clipboard (from triage nurse) or hold onto it. "EXCUSE ME, we were TALKING how can you be so rude?? Go sit over there until we call you" From the nurses!! I'm sorry that I interrupted their conversation about what they were having for supper that night . If I wasnt in so much pain I would have let them have it. Dam strep throat. I could go on forever....[/b]
Have you heard back yet?

My twin sister was 36 weeks or so when she decided to homebirth.

One thing you can remind your partner about- if there were an emergency, even if you were right there in the hospital- it takes time for staff to prepare for an emergency cesarean. About 20 minutes I believe. So you could be laying in the hospital for that 20 minutes, or if needed your midwife would call ahead and you would spend that time transporting to the hospital, with plenty of time to spare in your case. Also midwives have oxygen, pitocin and a wealth of knowledge that most doctors don't have about birth, it really is a safe alternative. After having my first in the hospital, and my second at home, there is no way I would go back to a hospital to birth unless it was medically neccessary. If you need any info, I am sure I could dig up some websites...
November 30th, 2007, 07:14 PM
No I havent heard back yet I'm so discouraged, I don't know if I should call them back or not, its been 8 days. I gave all my information. I'm just hoping that there have been a lot of babies born in my city this week and havent forgotten about me.

December 4th, 2007, 02:04 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would call them back, things get really busy in any sort of medical office and it's easy to slip through the cracks (esp this time of year). I hope you can get hold of them in time!
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search