What to wear during labor

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2007, 09:50 AM
4boys
I am having a home birth with a pool and I don't know what I'm going to wear. I don't want to be buck naked. I know when the time comes I won't care, but right now I do and I know I will afterwards thinking back on it especially if there are pictures taken. So what do I wear on top in the pool? For my last birth I wore a white bra tank, which I'm sure was totally see-through by the end. What have you done or what are you planning on doing?
November 23rd, 2007, 10:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Black bra on top. Bathing suit bottoms during very early labor. Nothing on bottom towards the end.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
November 23rd, 2007, 12:08 PM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had three water births and for all three I wore the SAME white maternity t-shirt. I saved it and it's special to me...kinda like my lucky birth Tee! I labor out of the tub in comfy leggings and tee then I get in the pool to birth and put on only my white tee. It's long so it covers everything (I'm pretty modest)! I still have it in my drawer for my next birth, if God is willing that I should become pregnant again...I HOPE SO!!!

Good luck to you in your upcoming birth. Hope you find something special to wear...or at least comfortable!!!
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
November 23rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
For my last water birth, I purchased the top of a tankini from Old Navy, and wore that in the tub. I'll probably wear that or a black cotton camisole during the water part of my next labor as well.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
November 23rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
i guess i'm the odd one out.....after about 5 or 6 cm....i don't wear anything. but i don't care by that point. thats about the time i start getting in the tub to labor. before then i just wear some lounge pants or a t shirt.

Survivor Mom - My Blog

November 24th, 2007, 01:52 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a naked birther - heck I'm a naked live-r but I wanted to say that "when the time comes" it's entirely possible that you will still care. I know I did. Trust me I was not super excited that I was buck naked in front of my mom, I really had to work to let go of it. Anyhow, I know that a few companies make birthing skirts and dresses, I forget where though. Good luck, HTH
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

November 24th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I have a tankini for my regular bathing suit. I figure I'll wear that and if it all comes off, it all comes off.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

November 24th, 2007, 11:01 AM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
im thinking some lounge pants and a colored (probably black) cheap sports bra while out of water. i too am going to make sure to have good pix taken and want some to be at least somewhat appropriate to display and share. if i get my pool, which im hoping i do sooo bad then it will just be the sports bra and maybe the bikini bottoms i have, i will probaby wear them and then if they come off, they come off. i told dh before the last c-section, having a baby humbles you and your humility levels...and as they wiped me down afterwards, legs spread eagle with a nurse doing it, dh was like "mmmmm yeah you were right! " so i can only imagine how i will be in labor and birth, i probably won't give a darn.
² married to matt ²
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
²

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
November 24th, 2007, 11:54 AM
4boys
Thank you for all your suggestions! I have added to my Christmas list a black maternity bra tank so I'll probably wear that or my black bra.
November 24th, 2007, 07:56 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh my gosh, I was *just* coming in here to post the exact same question. I'm with you, I don't want to be completely naked, just for personal comfort (although who knows whether I'll care or not?) I bought a navy camisole to wear in the pool, not sure if I'll start with anything on the bottoms or not. I figure I'll wear whatever is comfortable until tub time - probably a t-shirt and lounge pants. I'm wondering if I'll even care enough to change into the camisole before getting in the water!
November 26th, 2007, 03:53 PM
home4mygirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I labored for a while in just a t-shirt and shorts, then eventually, just a t-shirt. I think it all depends on your personal comfort level. I cared throughout the whole labor (and it was loooooonnnnng, trust me) that I had clothes on. I never got to the point that it didn't matter. I always wanted something on. But I've heard from a lot of women that, eventually, they're just like "Oh well...off it comes," and off it comes! You never really know which you're going to be until you're in the moment! Black tank is a great idea!

"We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents, or the country of our birth. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live." Joseph Epstein
November 27th, 2007, 01:01 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
I had planned a water birth so I didn't really think much about what I would wear if it wasn't in the water. I had a maternity bathing suit that was a tankini so I wore the top (it was black) in the water. When I decided I couldn't push right in the water and got out the midwives had me take off my wet top because I would be wet and cold. So there I sat naked and not really thinking about it. However, my husband (who knows me so well and knew I would not want to be naked) just went in and found me a tank top.

I am such a planner that it is weird that I was so focused on having a water birth I never planned for what to wear if I delivered out of the water.

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
November 27th, 2007, 10:06 PM
4boys
That's a good point. I should have something thought of or available just in case I want to get out.
November 27th, 2007, 11:38 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hadn't thought of that either...thanks for mentioning it, Kelly!

Something else to add to my to-do list...lay out "just in case" clothes. I shudder to think what DH might drag out if I sent him to do it!
November 30th, 2007, 07:56 AM
*Jackie*
When I was a teenager I bought this lime green "stylish" top that was tight across the breasts and then draped down like a maternity tee. I'm very short so this was like a dress on me. When I bought it I thought "I'm going to wear this when I get pregnant"... I kept it and wore it when I was in labor with my dd. I didn't wear anything underneath (It went to my knees). I plan on wearing it for baby number two as well.
November 30th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've seen a couple of commercial items
http://www.tendercargo.com/catalog/Binsi-b...CFQR1ZQodO0bZsw

December 8th, 2007, 01:09 AM
tim_horton's Avatar Veteran
I honestly have no idea what I was wearing. I know that for several hours I had nothing on, but even before that.. I really don't know. Guess I was distracted.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search