Supply List

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2007, 10:20 PM
4boys
Sooo...I haven't discussed this with my midwife yet but I thought I'd ask here and see if you all had some ideas. What do I need to get in terms of supplies for my home birth??? Are there some things that are necessities and others that aren't? Things that are really handy or nice to have that I may not think of? Thanks in advance for all your wonderful suggestions! So far I have....a birth pool.
November 25th, 2007, 03:32 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here's a LINK to a good thread on this topic that had gotten pushed back a few pages for you...I'm sure it'll answer a few questions.

Definitely ask your midwife about it, though - mine had a list already typed up of the things she wanted me to have on hand, as well as a custom birth kit (with the things she prefers) for me to order online. Hopefully yours will be just as organized!
November 25th, 2007, 05:25 PM
4boys
Thanks, I figured this question had probably been asked before!
November 26th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Your midwife should provide you with a list. Many have specific birth kits they want you to get.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

November 30th, 2007, 10:33 PM
*Jackie*
Why isn't the MW responsible for the birth kit? Is it something they use for when delivering or is it a list for what the parents personally need for the birth/afterwards?
December 1st, 2007, 09:14 AM
A lot of the stuff in the birth kit is disposable, one-time-use things...the waterproof under pads, cord clamps, footprint pads, etc. I'm sure it'd cost the midwives a good deal to keep all the stuff in a kit in stock to use at each birth...and it's so convenient to already have it at the birth site too, so the mw doesn't have to remember everything. Personally, I like knowing that everything we need is in a box in my living room, ready and waiting. (IF this baby ever comes. )
December 1st, 2007, 10:28 AM
*Jackie*
That makes sense, I guess I just see that as the responsibility of the MW to have that stuff since she delivers the baby. It would be like a hospital asking you to bring all the instruments to have a baby there kwim? Just sounds weird. BUT, you are right.... you know 100% that everything you need is there if something is forgotten. Wait....are these used for unassisted or assisted?
December 1st, 2007, 10:22 PM
Mine is for an assisted birth...although you'd need most of the same stuff if you were planning an unassisted birth. I can definitely see where you're coming from, it would be nice if the midwife had all of her own stuff...but my birth kit was only $40, which I didn't think was bad at all. Actually, I never thought twice about it until reading your posts. I guess that $40 per client would really add up for a midwife, though.
December 2nd, 2007, 11:12 PM
*Jackie*
Well at least it's inexpensive. I was thinking a few hundred bucks or something on top of the charge of a MW.
December 2nd, 2007, 11:46 PM
Oh no! Now, you can spend a LOT on a birth pool if you want to have a water birth...but the pool my m/w recommended was only about $35 too. It's nothing fancy, but it's deep enough (she says, and I'm sure hoping she's right!)
December 3rd, 2007, 11:42 AM
*Jackie*
Wow, the pool we were looking at was like 500 or something. I want one for that cheap... lol
December 3rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
Here's the LINK to the one we bought - on sale for $36.96, figured that was hard to beat!
December 3rd, 2007, 11:48 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We paid $38 for our pool and it was AWESOME! Plenty of room for whatever moving around I wanted to do, nice and deep, sturdy sides so I could put all my weight on them if I needed to, and best of all - the inflatable bottom so I wasn't sitting on the hard floor! We've used it twice now, and it's all ready to go for the third time. There is absolutely no need to spend much more than that on a birth pool! We used this one (the smaller one):
http://www.birthwithlove.com/categories/it...uarian+Birthing

December 4th, 2007, 02:26 PM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Why isn't the MW responsible for the birth kit? Is it something they use for when delivering or is it a list for what the parents personally need for the birth/afterwards?[/b]
this was my thought too, but maybe just because all the midwives i've contacted except one, do provide the birth kit as part of their standard fee. and all but one midwife i've contacted includes rental of of a basic birth pool in their fees as well. it was the same midwife for both, but she did have a specific birth kit she recommended, and a pool she recommended, and with both, her fees worked out to about the same as everyone else.
all of the midwives i've contacted do offer a "deluxe" birth pool for an extra (small) fee.
i guess the one who charged "extra" for stuff was technically a better deal, since you got to keep the pool. her website recommended using it as a kiddie pool afterwards.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search