Half of all doctors dont report serious medical mistakes of colleagues

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 4th, 2007, 07:23 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22083982...5773?gt1=10710

Not surprising, at least for us here I'm sure.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
December 4th, 2007, 07:47 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's horrible...but, like you said, not at all surprising.
December 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm just flat out not surprised anymore. i posted a link a long time ago on the BF debate area about how docs who are supposed to be following the AAP guidelines of discussing breastfeeding either DIDNT follow them or didnt even believe in them- here is my old post

In fact, a recent AAP survey revealed that 45 percent of pediatrician respondents stated that they see formula-feeding and breast-feeding as equally acceptable methods for feeding an infant. In a March 1999 report on breast-feeding promotion efforts by American doctors, Pediatrics magazine concluded, "A majority of pediatricians believe that breast-feeding and formula-feeding are equally acceptable methods for feeding infants. Furthermore, reasons given for not recommending breast-feeding include medical conditions such as mastitis, nipple problems, low milk supply, jaundice, and low weight gain, which have recognized therapeutic approaches that generally do not preclude breast-feeding."

Well according to some of the quotes I posted in the last AAP debate, up to 45% of docs believe formula is equal to breastmilk, indicating they are not very educated on the components of either substance... and these docs are the ones who are speaking to mothers... whom I hear constantly "well almost every mom knows breastmilk is better"... now I question even harder what the docs and peds are telling our moms

While the governing body of AAP says to Breastfeed for a year, the actual opinions of docs are: "Breastfeeding, as the exclusive feeding practice for the first month after birth, was recommended by only 65% of responding pediatricians; only 37% recommended breastfeeding for 1 year. A majority of pediatricians agreed with or had a neutral opinion about the statement that breastfeeding and formula-feeding are equally acceptable methods for feeding infants. Reasons given for not recommending breastfeeding included medical conditions with known treatments that did not preclude breastfeeding. The majority of pediatricians (72%) were unfamiliar with the contents of the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative. The majority of pediatricians had not attended a presentation on breastfeeding management in the previous 3 years; most said they wanted more education on breastfeeding management.
AAP Publication of Opinion

"When discussing infant feeding options for the first month with parents of healthy, full-term infants in their practice, 65% of pediatricians recommended breastfeeding exclusively, 20% made no recommendation, 13% recommended breastfeeding with formula supplementation, and 2% recommended exclusive formula feeding. Only 63% of all respondents made a specific recommendation on the duration of breastfeeding. Of these, 31% recommended breastfeeding for 6 months and 61% recommended breastfeeding for 1 year. The recommendation for 1 year was least likely made by pediatricians practicing in clinics"
"For example, 28% of respondents indicated that they would discontinue breastfeeding for breast and/or nipple problems."
And by the way, the AAP only revised their policy on breastmilk in 1997... Thats pretty recent, and IMO a little late.

and What do you think about this? I'm not saying its a scandal or some huge kickback... however it does pay to at least be aware of this type of information..

"The Role of the Medical Establishment

The campaign to normalize artificial feeding gains a great deal of its effectiveness from an unholy alliance between the pharmaceutical industry and the medical establishment. To promote artificial feeding, formula manufacturers spend millions of dollars securing exclusive distribution deals for formula samples, at a yearly average of $6,000 to $8,000 per doctor. They donate $1 million annually to the American Academy of Pediatrics in the form of a renewable grant that has already netted the AAP $8 million. The formula industry also contributed at least $3 million toward the building costs of the AAP headquarters."

The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology received $548,000 from two of the four major formula makers in 1993. The American Medical Association television prograin is sponsored by the makers of Similac. Moreover, the American Dietetic Association, the National Association of Neonatal Nurses, and the Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses all receive generous funding from the formula industry. 28 A 1994 study that was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association exposes the influence the formula industry wields over the medical establishment. "By giving physicians money," the authors found, "the [formula] companies are successful in influencing doctors to recommend their product. 1129 Formula manufacturers play hardball to get hospital business. Take the example of Canada, where Mead Johnson secured an exclusive contract with Toronto's Women's College Hospital that pays the hospital $1 million the first year and $350,000 per subsequent year for a decade. Abbott Labs and Bristol-Myers Squibb got into a bidding war over the right to promote formula through Grace Hospital in Vancouver, Canada's largest birthing facility. Ross Labs offered to pay the Doctor's Hospital in Canada $1 million for a contract which would require that the hospital would give their product to all mothers in take home packages, supply breastfeeding mothers with Ross's instructions on nursing, and make sure mothers had "access" to Ross architectural services for nurseries."'

Dr Jay Gordon Report on AAP ties to Formula companies
Link

the whole point is not to scandalize the AAP, but until yesterday I considered this body an OK source.. and now I"m not so sure.

December 4th, 2007, 10:38 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not in the least surprised. Even the information that Lash posted seems pretty much par for the course to me. And people wonder why I don't listen to pediatricians.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

December 5th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess i dont get why some people get so defensive or angry when people have a healthy skepticism of ANY profession, but especially when dealing with bodies, health and babies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search