Anemia and homebirth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Veteran
Hi all, Im almost 31 weeks pregnant and have been planning a homebirth since before I even fell pregnant.. Had a bit of a blow last week when my doc rang and said my my iron levels are so low and that unless I can get them up to within normal range then I wont be allowed a homebirth. Im really upset about it as this is what I have wanted for ages. This is my third pregnancy and I had no problems whatsoever with my previous births and my iron levels were low then too so dont see why its a problem now.

Has anyone been told this and still been allowed a homebirth and did you manage to get your iron levels up in time?

Thanks for reading

December 9th, 2007, 02:40 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
i don't have any experience with this...but i just wanted to say (((((HUGS))))) and i hope everything works out! keep us posted!

Survivor Mom - My Blog

December 9th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a similar issue. My levels were below then normal range starting around 38 weeks and my midwife said that if I dropped much lower I wouldn't be able to birth at home (I am not sure if that was her preference or something set out by the state regarding homebirth). I did a lot of things to increase my levels, I took liquid chlorophyll, celtic sea salt and an iron/vitamin supplement called Floradix Iron & herbs. I also ate a lot of iron rich foods. I was able to raise my levels into a normal range before I gave birth. I would talk with your Midwife about what things she might recommend. You still have a lot of time before your birth to get them back to normal. For what it's worth, I lost a lot of blood right after delivery and still had a quick recovery. I think that is due to my actively working to have my iron at a good level before birth.

December 10th, 2007, 06:38 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Natural sources of iron including whole food iron supplements will be the best absorbed, and will show quick results.

Try checking your health food stores for whoel food supplements rich in iron, and i would even suggest taking Alfalfa & Nettle - both iron & vit K rich

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
December 10th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Veteran
Thanks for all the replies.. Im definately going to try all of those things.. Ive already started on florodix which Ive been taking for a few months now although have been taking a low dosage so have now upped it to 4 tablespoons a day and taking it with orange juice.

My 2 girls were both born in NZ and it was my choice for everything and my iron levels were just never an issue. We are now living in the UK temporarily for hubbys job and the way your treated is completely different, its like your just told who will be looking after you no quibbles and do as your told.. your supposed to have choice but I dont feel Ive had any choice or any explanation of anything. I find everyone really unhelpful. I think thats why Im soo keen on homebirth this time because at least being in my territory at home I think I am more likely to do things my way not flat on my back on a hard hospital bed. When they told me about my iron levels they said it so matter of factly no give or take kind of attitude.. Im going to ask then what the cut off level is and see how far off it I am.

Thanks everyone

December 10th, 2007, 09:33 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Huh? Allowed? He has it backwards, its your decision, not his. You can take an iron supplement if you like. My iron was low as well and my midwife never bothered about it. You should set him straight regarding who is in charge.[/b]
True that!!!!!

I would start taking tons of alfalfa just because giving birth can deplete your blood levels even further. Alfalfa, nettles, and dandelion root are all good things to help your iron levels and they won't make your stomach ache like iron pills. So eat some dark green leafy veggies and salads and you'll be okay
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

December 19th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just want to recommend that you do take the anemia seriously. My iron levels were low during pregnancy and probably always are. But after birth, they became very very low. It got to the point of affecting my heart and it's ability to get oxygen to my brain. I'm now taking blackstrap iron, but it will take months for my levels to get back up to normal.

My doctors never mentioned not doing the homebirth because of anemia though. I suppose it wasn't low enough then to be concerned about.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search