How difficult did you find it to find a pedi for your homebirth baby.

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 14th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Super Mommy
This is our first home birth. Our first three were in the hospital and the next four were adopted.

How difficult was it to find a pedi sensitive to homebirth? I have heard some won't even see babies born out of the hospital.

Mom to boys: G 7, C 5, K 4, N 3

December 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wasn't a problem for us at all. We took Reid to the Ped when he was about a week old. She did ask if he had the Vit K shot and Hep B (no to both) and she was fine with our midwife doing the repeat PKU testing. She was very supportive of our birth choices and said he was doing great!

December 14th, 2007, 05:35 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not a problem for us at all. My OB with my first two hospital births is also our family doctor, Ped as well. I was concerned about him turning me away for care when we started planning a homebirth for #3, as I'd heard the same kinds of stories - and I do know of doctors in town who have turned patients away because of home birth. I considered just not telling him about our plans, but I wasn't comfortable deceiving him. We have a good relationship, and if there were any complications that required me to be in hospital...I would certainly want to be on good terms with him, cuz I'd need him! So I just went in and we had a chat. I decided to just be honest with him about our plans, our midwife, and go from there. I had a unique arrangement with that pregnancy because my midwife lives out of country, so I still did all the regular prenatal care with my OB...and our midwife came for the birth. He was obliged to tell me his concerns, the risks as he sees them, and why he couldn't "medically" endorse our plans...but he respected our freedom to make that final decision for ourselves. We took the baby to see him at 1 week, he did my 6 week post partum check, and even had to write to a letter for me for birth registration purposes. We had the same arrangement with #4, and again this time - except I haven't been bothering with all the regular prenatal stuff. I've seen my midwife twice, had an ultrasound, and that's it so far.

December 14th, 2007, 09:29 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think were the poster child for bad experiences lol. Oddly enough, i got shadow care from an OB, who was a-ok and okie dokie with our homebirht. Never asked who was attending, just told me where he lived and said to come on by if anything came up out of the ordinary (he lives in my neighborhood, probably 10 houses down & around the corner).

So - we saw him after the birth to re-examine a minor tear, which he advised we leave alone & then he reminded us to stop by our peds office on the way home to get her established.

We went in - told them we'd had her (we'd already notified them since our son was a patient there for 7 yrs plus my son & the ped's son were in the same class & were best friends, they played together, etc). Wed never mentioned the homebirht - we were so focused on having the baby & worried initially about finding shadow care from an OB that wouldnt give us a hard time, we never imagined having a problem with the ped).

Well - we went into the office, they went back & got the ped - the one we always saw was out & his partner came out to the lobby. he sat down, started berating us about how we needed to take her to the emergency room NOW, that she needed a Hep B & Vit K shot NOW, and that we needed to clamp her cord NOW, he would NOT see her until she was seen through the ER. I was like "whoa, nelly! We had a homebirth, planned, shes not going to the ER". he went on abotu he had no prenatal records, blah blah blah, and they have never seen a newborn in any other setting than a hosptial and they werent about to start now, blah blah blah. He wouldnt shut up about how she needed a Hep b shot & how he had NO idea what shed been exposed to. I told him that we had prenatal care - I told him AGAIN that we were on our way back form the OB, he could verify our records, that we werent doing a hep b shot, she wasnt born behind adumpster, she was born at home, planned, etc. Id already been seen by a MW and an OB, and that we opted not to clamp her cord, it wasnt bleeding (he examined it), etc.

He still refused to see her, insisted she go through the ER. We politely told him thanks but no thanks, wed just go home if he wouldnt see her as a patient and commented that wed been patients there since their practice opened, before he was even a partner, and just left.

We got a call 2 days later from the office berating us about how we left the doctor waiting at the ER & never showed up, was the baby ok, blah blah blah. That they dont know WHY we wouldnt take her in to the ER. I explained to them the situation and they basically told me that they dont see babies born otuside of the hospital due to hte "liability". What liability? They said the only people who have babies outside of the hospital are people who are trying to hide something, usually drugs, and that must be why I wouldnt take her into the ER. I told her NO, we were NOT druggies, we CHOSE to have our baby outside of the hospital for MANY reasons, including safety, and that I wasnt taking her into the ER b/c I didnt want to expose a new baby to a room full of SICK people. ANOTHER reason why she was born at home. And that I TOLD the dr we were NTO taking her to the ER, so why he went anyways & waited on us for 2 hours was beyond me. PLUS, they have our phone number (obviously) and weve been patients for years. AND fruthermore, HAD she been the baby of a drug addict, all the more reason shed need to be seen! Shame on them for denying her care!

In the meanwhile, we found a ped who would see her - we had to drive 45 miles to get to him. The ped we were fighting with finally called, asked us to come in, sorta tried to apologize without actually apologizing, and explaining how critical it was that we get her a freaking Hep B shot & vitamin K, and all these other tests.

Pft.

So - moral of the story - check with your ped ahead of time lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
December 16th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ask other homebirthers in your area who they go to. Hope you find one.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
December 16th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
no problem in Raleigh for me. our family doc sees all our newborns. he was in the peace corps and delivered a lot of babies outside the hopspital, so he might be generally more enlightened

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

December 17th, 2007, 07:12 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We skipped a ped and went in to a chiropractor. If we were going to any sort of western medical practitioner we would find a DO, they tend to be more open minded than pediatricians.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

December 17th, 2007, 11:06 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, now I'm freaking out a little...Amelia's first pediatrician appointment is tomorrow afternoon (well, today, I guess - man it's late.) They seemed okay when I called and made the appointment and told them she was born at home with a midwife. Just asked for some sort of documentation, which I'll actually be going in without - I was supposed to see the midwives today and it got rescheduled for Thursday. Oops. Oh well, I can tell them everything they need to know, I'm sure.

We're going to the same practice we've gone to since Rachael was born, but we'll see a different doctor this time - our regular doc was booked up. I've heard this one is really nice, but I have no idea where she stands on homebirth, delaying vaxes, etc. I guess I'll find out when we get there. EEP. Very nervous about this, especially since she didn't (and won't) have vitamin K, Hep B vax, (etc.) either.
December 18th, 2007, 06:21 PM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i've not had a homebirth yet, but my ped will be fine with it- she delivered both of her kids at home. i found her through mothering.com, i think.
December 18th, 2007, 09:05 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well...we'll be looking for a different pediatrician now. This one was horrified that Amelia was born at home (she asked me "what HAPPENED?!" when she saw the note on her chart) and informed me that the ped's in their practice vax'ed on schedule and that if I didn't plan to, I should find a ped more in line with my wants. So, yeah...a-pediatrician hunting I shall go.
December 19th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
It's going to really depend on your area. Some places it's easy and some it's not. We have a great ped who is fine with homebirth, no well checks, not vaxing, extended nursing, and not giving parenting advice. There are a few in this area who are fine with homebirth. There are many who are not. Ask around (including asking your midwife for suggestions).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

December 19th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Quote:
If we were going to any sort of western medical practitioner we would find a DO, they tend to be more open minded than pediatricians.[/b]
I thought that, but have found that nearly all the DOs in this area are NOT more open minded at all. In fact, they are the most likely to refuse to even see your child if you aren't planning on vaxing on their schedule. It's the regular old MDs that are more open minded. Go figure.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

December 19th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Veteran
hmm.....well, I mentioned at my last appt with one of my kids that this would be a home birth. The Dr just said ok, and answered my questions about circumcision. She didn't seem too appaled by the home birth concept. Hope it won't be a problem, as there are very few choices in our small town.

Can anybody give me more info on delaying vaccines? I have thought about it and want to go into it very informed if I decide to go that route.......

December 19th, 2007, 11:43 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
hmm.....well, I mentioned at my last appt with one of my kids that this would be a home birth. The Dr just said ok, and answered my questions about circumcision. She didn't seem too appaled by the home birth concept. Hope it won't be a problem, as there are very few choices in our small town.

Can anybody give me more info on delaying vaccines? I have thought about it and want to go into it very informed if I decide to go that route.......[/b]
Lots of info over on the choosing not to vax board - http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...?showforum=664
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

December 19th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
Quote:
Quote:

Can anybody give me more info on delaying vaccines? I have thought about it and want to go into it very informed if I decide to go that route.......[/b]
Lots of info over on the choosing not to vax board - http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...?showforum=664
[/b]

Yep you should check out that board, I am the host there, and the ladies there are very friendly and very smart

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search