Midwives, doulas, BTDT mommies

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 16th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've read lots of books and online articles, would love to hear some opinions. I got an exercise ball yesterday and wow does it ever make some of the aches go away just sitting on it!! I'm so gonna bring it to the hospital with me (couldnt get a midwife so I could have a home birth dammit Will make best of what I can)

I know forsure, NO epidural, no induction, Im very against both of those, no episiotomy (sp?) I would rather tear naturally, I do not want to lie on my back at all if I can avoid it, and I do not want to be hooked up to a fetal monitor and be forced to stay in bed not mobile at all. I dont want them to use a vacuum or forceps on me. I want a natural as possible birth so to say. My hospital doesnt have birthing tubs DAMMIT so thats out I know to many women IRL that were pushed into doing things they didnt want to do, werent necessary or didnt feel comfortable with.

I can't lie on my back at all anymore, it hurts a lot. I've read that its better to give birth on your side because its faster, easier, less painful and less chance of tearing. Do you or dont you agree? I've read that its also better to upright as much as possible, does that mean on your hands and feet, like a bridge position?

How about eating during labour? I plan to, whether they tell me I can or not, energy needed! What are your views on that?

I'm trying to get my boyfriend to start the perineal massage on me, but hes being stubborn. I cant reach! Are there benefits for that? I have read conflicting arguments.

I will talk to my OB when I see him on tuesday as well, I need to know my hospitals policies and such. I'm also not afraid to tell any of the hospital staff to stuff it if they tell me I need to do something that I'm not comfortable with, or if myself or my boyfriend feel they are telling me to do something just to make it easier for them. I'm not afraid to give birth at all btw I want whats best for ME, not them!!

December 16th, 2007, 05:55 PM
JerseyJess's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi there! I'm a doula and Lamaze certified childbirth educator.

1. Love the birthball. In the hospital you can prop it next to your bed, sit on it and lean forward so your upper body is resting on the bed, you can also place it ON the bed and kneel with your upper body draped over it.

2. Just bc they don't have a tub doesn't rule out "hydrotherapy"-don't underestimate the power of a warm/hot shower! And unlike at home the hot water is guaranteed not to run out in the hospital.

3. Upright positions will open your pelvis allowing the most room for baby to pass-this includes squatting (they usually have squat bars that attach to the foot of the bed), standing (this is how I had my last baby) or kneeling (you can put the back of the bed totally upright, kneel and hold onto the back while pushing) these positions are great for getting baby past the pubic bone but to lessen the chance of tearing, you can't go wrong with sidelying-it makes the crowning more gradual (more pressure with upright)

4. If you can't get dh to do perineal massage don't worry-just have him apply really warm wet washcloths to the pernieum during the pushing stage-feels great and makes the tissue nice and stretchy. Don't let the nurses or docs do any aggressive massage on you-I've seen LOTS of internal tears as a result of this

5. Research supports eating a low residue diet during labor (meaning easily digestable food-nothing too fatty) risk of aspiration is really, really low and some studies have found stomach acid (with an empty stomach) to be more problematic than actual undigested food...most women will find their appetite naturally decreases during active labor while thirst increases-sports drinks, water, and juices are great.

Best of luck to you!
Tabbitha Eve-7
Tyler Anthony-3
Jackson Bryce born 11/30! 7lbs 12oz/ 21.5in

<span style="color:#9932CC">“If you don’t know your options, you don’t have any.”-Diane Korte and Roberta Scaer

“Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” Jeannine Parvati Baker

“Anything I’ve ever done that ultimately was worthwhile…initially scared me to death.” Betty Bender
December 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM
4boys
I agree with everything JerseyJess said. Just wanted to say from personal experience, I didn't do any perineal massage before labor but during delivery my midwives used the warm washcloth technique described above. My baby had a 39.5 cm head and I didn't tear, so I am a big believer in that! Good luck with your birth!
December 17th, 2007, 06:59 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto Ditto Ditto!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
December 17th, 2007, 08:25 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto to everything that JerseyJess said. Do not expect your doctor to support you at all, I would hire a doula strait away.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

December 17th, 2007, 09:35 PM
*Jackie*
Quote:
I've read lots of books and online articles, would love to hear some opinions. I got an exercise ball yesterday and wow does it ever make some of the aches go away just sitting on it!! I'm so gonna bring it to the hospital with me (couldnt get a midwife so I could have a home birth dammit Will make best of what I can)

I know forsure, NO epidural, no induction, Im very against both of those, no episiotomy (sp?) I would rather tear naturally, I do not want to lie on my back at all if I can avoid it, and I do not want to be hooked up to a fetal monitor and be forced to stay in bed not mobile at all. I dont want them to use a vacuum or forceps on me. I want a natural as possible birth so to say. My hospital doesnt have birthing tubs DAMMIT so thats out I know to many women IRL that were pushed into doing things they didnt want to do, werent necessary or didnt feel comfortable with.[/b]
Good for you for being knowledgeable in your needs.
Quote:
I can't lie on my back at all anymore, it hurts a lot. I've read that its better to give birth on your side because its faster, easier, less painful and less chance of tearing. Do you or dont you agree? I've read that its also better to upright as much as possible, does that mean on your hands and feet, like a bridge position?[/b]
There are some stickies for labor positions. Laying on your back is NOT a good position.
Quote:
How about eating during labour? I plan to, whether they tell me I can or not, energy needed! What are your views on that?[/b]
You can and should eat during labor if you feel the need to. Google is your best friend here, just type in "food to eat during labor" and you'll get a bunch of healthy choices. I ate during mine.. I had some eggs, pudding, gatorade, chips (and because we didn't bring food with us...oops) some part of my DH's cheeseburger and fry. LOL!

Quote:
I'm trying to get my boyfriend to start the perineal massage on me, but hes being stubborn. I cant reach! Are there benefits for that? I have read conflicting arguments.[/b]
Perineal massage is a MUST IMO. I've never heard conflicting arguments. Present your DH with the benefits/need of perineal massage and he'll come around.

December 17th, 2007, 11:12 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
More dittos to Jess, from another doula. I've heard the same conflicting information about perineal massage - even my midwife said that it might or might not make a huge difference. She recommended evening primrose oil instead, just massaging it into the perineal tissue to soften and prime it. Granted, I did this instead of perineal massage and I did tear - but I had no compresses (I don't think they realized she was coming so quickly!) AND I had had second degree tears with my first DD, so I already had that working against me. It might be more effective for a first time mom that's never been torn to begin with.

Good for you for knowing exactly what you want! I hope everything goes according to your plans and you have the best birth experience possible. I hate that you couldn't find a midwife to do a home birth, but you're obviously a strong woman who will stand up for what you want. I'm sure you'll be just fine.
December 18th, 2007, 11:53 AM
home4mygirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there!!! I ditto everything everyone else said! I didn't do perineal massage because dd came early, right when we were supposed to start. She came out with her hand up by her face (can't remember the technical name for that, sorry!), so it wasn't just her head coming out first, it was her head AND her hand/arm and I didn't tear. My midwife did the warm compresses with me, and I really think that's why I didn't. My mom was a midwife for 20+ years when I was growing up and she said the perineal massage worked for some and not for others (never know which you'll be, and who knows if that's why they didn't tear, or if they just had stretchy skin), so she told people if they wanted to do it, then by all means, go for it, but if not, she really thought the warm compresses made a bigger difference than the massage. Couldn't hurt though, if you can talk your bf into it.

And my appetite decreased considerably while in active labor too, although I was VERY thirsty, so I drank ALOT!! But I did eat when labor started, and, of course, when it was over.

I labored in all different positions - hands and knees, supported squat, on my side (which I HATED, BTW - it hurt much worse than any other position - don't know why), sitting up, laying down - basically whatever worked. I actually had NO desire to get in the tub, which surprised me cuz I thought I would want to, but I didn't. I ended up birthing sitting up and pushing that way, basically cuz that's the position I was in when she actually started coming out.

Good for you for standing up for what you want!!! Awesome!!

Also, I recognize you from the Feb DDC and just wanted to say "HI!!"

"We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents, or the country of our birth. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live." Joseph Epstein
December 21st, 2007, 12:07 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thx guys lurking on home birth and natural birth boards are really helping me stay positive. One thing I did forget to ask though, is when do you feel is the best time to cut the cord? I think I would rather wait until the cord stops pulsing. I'm not sure if thats before or after the placenta comes out, and isnt that 10 -20mins on avg? And I wonder if I would have to fight for that. I know a majority of labour is with nurses not the OB himself. I hope Im lucky, my OB is awesome. I hope he can be there and I dont end up with someone on call.

Im not concerned about my OB, because he genuinly CARES about his patients and their well being, and isnt in it just for a paycheck. He listens to me, and gives honest opinions, if he doesnt know the answer to something, he will say he doenst know and who I can talk to about it. That alone is a big thing to me. I mentioned that I dont want a c section to him one day, and he basically said that that is always a very last resort and would never do one unless medically necessary. Im gonna have a huge list of what I dont want when I see him next lol.

December 21st, 2007, 11:57 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think its sufficient to say that you don't want the cord cut until it has stopped pulsating. You could say that you don't want it cut until after the placenta has been delivered.
You may want to make clear to him that the cord is not to be pulled on, and (depending on what you want of course) how you want the delivery of the placenta to be handled. A good site to read about options for this is http://www.homebirth.org.uk/thirdstage.htm
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

December 23rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
home4mygirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We waited until it had stopped pulsing, and, honestly, time is so blurred for me at that point, that I couldn't tell you how long it took. I think it took another 10-15 minutes or so after Trinity had come out that I had any urge at all to push the placenta out, but, again, I can't remember times very well from the actual pushing phase of labor. If you cut the cord before it's done pulsing, you could deprive the baby of very rich oxygenated blood from the placenta, so I always recommend waiting until it's done pulsing.

"We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents, or the country of our birth. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live." Joseph Epstein

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search