Need some input

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2007, 07:18 PM
4boys
I need some advice or insight. Bear with me, this might be long.

Today my midwife came over for an appointment and said that she didn't think I should go very far overdue with this baby because of my history of large babies. I was kind of surprised. I was planning on going as overdue as it takes for me to go into labor naturally on my own without induction, as long as baby is healthy and everything looks good. My last two births were both induced or augmented (AROM in the first one, cervidil used to induce me on the second) and they were incredibly painful. I ended up having a spinal with Ben because I just couldn't take the pain. However with my first son, I went into labor on my own and labored at home for most of it by myself managing with walking and showers, etc. His birth was completely managable and I refused pain meds that were offered to me at the hospital because I really didn't need them. So I have it in my mind that if I am NOT induced, this birth will go more according to plan, manageable and completely natural. Someone correct me if that thinking is flawed!

But I guess she is concerned because my previous two babies have been 9 lbs 8 oz and 9 lbs 15 oz. This doesn't bother me very much because Ben had a 39.5 cm head and I delivered him without tearing (not enough to require stitches anyways, there was a really little one). So after delivering THAT I figure I can do anything!

The other issue that plays into this is that I am pretty sure I conceived a week later than what a typical 28-day cycle woman would. So even though my midwife is going according to an April 3rd due date calculated by my LMP, I am going by conception which would mean I'd be due April 10. So when it gets to the end, I might not be as "overdue" as they think I am.

We came to the conclusion that when the time comes if I do go over, they will just monitor baby closely to make sure everything is fine. And she mentioned it might be a good idea to think about red raspberry tea, evening primrose oil and castor oil.

What do you experienced ladies think? What would you do if you were me? I don't want to put my baby in danger of course and I keep hearing horror stories, the latest of a lady refusing to be induced and then a few days later the baby dying because it had the cord around its neck. I really want to avoid another induction. Should I be afraid of having a big baby at home even if I've already given birth to two previously? For the record, all of my babies are 9 lbs at my due date, the only reason Ben was bigger was because he went a week further overdue. And Bailey was a lot smaller because he was a month early. So it's not like my babies are getting bigger either.

Any input is appreciated, if you made it this far!!!
December 19th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son Reid was born at 42w3d and I had a great, non induced birth at home. My first three were inductions at the hospital and were all either early or right on their due date. From what I understand you aren't even considered "overdue" until after 42 weeks as normal gestation is anywhere between 38-42 weeks. At the 42 week mark I did have an ultrasound to check on the baby and placental function (he was born the next morning). Reid was 9lbs 8oz and 24 inches long and I had only a very minor tear with a few stitches. I started using EPO at around 41 weeks and we briefly talked about castor oil, but not until I had passed 42 weeks. I did a lot of walking and tried to remain as active as possible in those last few weeks. In the end, I had almost three weeks of prodromol labor and Reid came when he was good and ready, I don't think anything I did coaxed him out My midwife also encouraged me to use positions that would optimally position the baby for birth. What helped me the most was to remember that in the vast majority of cases your body won't produce a baby that you can't birth vaginally. I'm barely 5' tall but I birthed a 9 1/2 lb baby easier than my induced 7lb babies!

December 19th, 2007, 09:01 PM
*Jackie*
Why on earth is your MW concerned about you birthing a 9lb baby? That isn't abnormal. We don't make babies that are too big for our bodies unless it's a very RARE occurrence, and if that were the case, you'd have been diagnosed with your first child (I can't remember the name), but you aren't, so you don't have an abnormal condition. If I were you, (only because you asked, so I'm answering) I would look for a different MW.
December 20th, 2007, 06:04 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I ditto what the other ladies say. I actually have a friend (more of an acquaintance) that has "fairly big" babies. 9 lbs range with all 3 (first one MIGHT have been high 8's).

Anyways - she jsut gave birth - first home birth - to a 10 lbs 8 oz baby (at 41 weeks 3 days)!

I dont doubt your body's abilities, nor do i think youll have any problems. Id give it to 42 weeks. Also keep in mind, that with many babies, studies show that a lot of the babies start dropping weight if you go "overdue" (closer to the 42/43 week mark).

So - personally, you know your body can birth a 9 + lb baby or more from experience. And you know that weight isnt everything - their head molds, the position you birth in plays a big part.

If youre uneasy, ask her about previous experiences shes had with "big" babies... perhaps something in HER past is making her uneasy. It would be good to know up front. Not to scare you - but to know where shes coming from. WHat was the situation? How did she handle it?

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
December 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM
4boys
Hmmm...I'm not sure she's afraid of a big baby, I think maybe she just mentioned it because she thought possibly I was concerned. She is the best midwife in the area and has been practicing since before midwifery was even legal here (about 20 years I think) so I don't think I'll be switching. I just needed some reassurance that my plans of waiting until 42 weeks and not being afraid of a big baby were ok. Thanks, ladies, you did just that.

The end of this pregnancy is still far away so I'm not going to worry about it too much yet, but it is good to start thinking about these things. Thanks for the responses!

ETA: She did say that she delivered an 11 lb 14 oz baby at home and had absolutely no problems. I think they transferred to the hospital after the birth for a different reason; the mom didn't feel good or whatever. So I know she's done it before, although that's the only story she told me.
December 20th, 2007, 12:19 PM
*Jackie*
Quote:
Hmmm...I'm not sure she's afraid of a big baby, I think maybe she just mentioned it because she thought possibly I was concerned. She is the best midwife in the area and has been practicing since before midwifery was even legal here (about 20 years I think) so I don't think I'll be switching. I just needed some reassurance that my plans of waiting until 42 weeks and not being afraid of a big baby were ok. Thanks, ladies, you did just that.

The end of this pregnancy is still far away so I'm not going to worry about it too much yet, but it is good to start thinking about these things. Thanks for the responses!

ETA: She did say that she delivered an 11 lb 14 oz baby at home and had absolutely no problems. I think they transferred to the hospital after the birth for a different reason; the mom didn't feel good or whatever. So I know she's done it before, although that's the only story she told me.[/b]
Oh ok. Well rest assured you can birth a 9lb + baby!
December 20th, 2007, 06:35 PM
4boys
Yup. Go me!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search