Insurance

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2007, 01:41 PM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Nikki, I'm 25 and due with baby #4 in August of '08. I had one baby naturally, and 2 C/S, not for good medical reasons, but that's a different topic. Needless to say, I am planning a VBA2C with this baby, and I would love to do a water birth at home.

For those of you who did have a home birth, did your insurance pay for it????

How much does it cost???

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

December 21st, 2007, 06:52 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I have Medicaid and they are covering it for me. Alls I have to pay for is my birth kit and my MW's gas to and from my house from 37 weeks on.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

December 21st, 2007, 08:34 PM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my insurance says they do not cover homebirth, but are known to reimburse part of the cost if you submit a claim after the birth. we'll try it. before said reimbursement, i'll pay just under $2000.
December 21st, 2007, 08:44 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No coverage here (in Alberta, Canada). We pay about $2200 for our homebirths, plus MW's gas.
December 21st, 2007, 08:49 PM
4boys
I feel lucky. Here in Manitoba, Canada it's totally covered. I don't pay a thing.
December 21st, 2007, 10:28 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I feel lucky. Here in Manitoba, Canada it's totally covered. I don't pay a thing.[/b]

Isn't that dumb how some provinces cover midwifery care completely, and other don't at all?
December 21st, 2007, 10:49 PM
*Jackie*
I'm still undecided on a HB or not, but no matter what my MW charges 2,500---no gas or anything (I didn't know MW's asked for gas LOL! Suzanne never asked for me to pay her gas all the trips she made to my home for all my apts.)

Oh, and I have insurance but they do not cover pregnancy/labor or maternity leave. If I were to get pregnant (or be pregnant now... I haven't tested yet) we would have a HB because there is no way we could afford my MW's care + the hospital care.
December 22nd, 2007, 01:02 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I had used a MW it would have ost me roughly 3k, my insurance didn't have a preferred provider who did homebirth so we would have filed for reimbursement. I didn't ever bother to figure out how much we would have been reimbursed since we planned a UC.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

December 22nd, 2007, 09:08 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
My homebirth is 5,000, and I am responsible for 2,000 of it paid upfront. After my birth, my midwives will submit a claim to my health insurance company, and we are expecting they will cover about 70%.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We'll be responsible for about $1000 of the $2500 total. There's a possibility the insurance company will pay more but I'm not counting on it. My midwife said most of her moms with insurance end up paying around $1000.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

December 22nd, 2007, 10:38 AM
4boys
Quote:
Quote:
I feel lucky. Here in Manitoba, Canada it's totally covered. I don't pay a thing.[/b]

Isn't that dumb how some provinces cover midwifery care completely, and other don't at all?
[/b]
It is stupid. I would have thought all of Canada would have the same coverage. I guess not.
December 22nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We dont know if they'll cover the homebirth but we do know they cover midwife care (we are switching to a new one at work in January that has no waiting periods)
I know total its $3700 for the 9 months of care in home, the homebirth, and after birth care (6 week checkup). She's also has lactation training

December 22nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I called my insurane company and they said they do cover homebirths. I didn't get into much detail about it b/c I'm only 4 weeks and I haven't even talked to my DH about it. At any rate, it's extremely hard to even find a MW in my area. Unless they work in Dr. offices they aren't allowed a license in my state. All the ones I have called that do work in offices do no do home births. If this makes any sense to you all, I don't think I can get my insurance to cover a MW that doesn't have a license. I found one MW and I've tried contacting her by email, and phone, she hasn't responded so???? IDK. I would LOVE to have a home birth but this feels like an uphill battle already

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

December 22nd, 2007, 10:34 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went with a lay midwife (unlicensed) so of course it wasnt covered by insurance. We payed about $1700 though - its generally less expensive b/c without the licensure they dont have as much overhead. We felt comfortable with our decision b/c we knew her experience was as good as any other. In the event of a transport her assistant & my doula would transport with me.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
December 26th, 2007, 10:07 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto Lala - we paid $2000 out of pocket and drove to her for about half of my appointments, but it was still WELL worth it to me!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search