Question for those who have already had homebirth..

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Veteran
Just a question for those of you've who've had your homebirth already.. How much mess was made? Did blood end up everywhere or was it easy enough to contain to the area you had mats or whatever down. I guess if your in a pool that would contain it all but when you get out for delivering placenta or even just getting out did that make a mess? Just curious as we've just had new carpets put in and hadnt thought about it until now, would be such a shame for them to get stained so wondering how much we need to do to protect the carpets, I cant remember at all how much mess was made with my other 2 birth's I dont think I even noticed.

December 29th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
We had chux pads in our birth kit, and had them on the bed for after, moving to the bed from the birthing pool. We had towels for down the hallway and between my legs as I moved from the pool to the bed. I didnt make much mess with my two previous homebirths, but I did leave a LOT of blood between the pool and bed this last time.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

December 29th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No mess at all! We had planned on a waterbirth but ended up delivering on the floor in our bedroom. We had a lot of chux pads as well as several drop cloths (like ones you would lay out while painting) and they contained all the mess.

December 29th, 2007, 05:22 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Only mess we had was one drop on the floor from me getting out & to the bed. We used shower curtains to lay on the floor b/w the tub & bed, but there was one place where it had folded up. And of course that ONE DROP fell there lol. It cleaned up easy with peroxide - One minute I saw it & the next it was gone - the MW was fast! lol.

Otherwise - there were chux pads on the bed when I got in, they changed them every 15 minutes until I got up and used the bathroom & put a pad on. Otherwise, NO mess. The MW cleaned up all the chux pads, the extra supplies, and the shower curtains we had down, put all the towels used into a bag and into the washer, and then switched them over to the dryer before she left. Literally - within 2 hours, by the time I was up and about - the house was back to complete normal. MUCH less mess than ianticipated.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
December 29th, 2007, 06:03 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
i delivered at my moms house and she had just put in new carpet too....so i was a bit worried. but she bought a bunch of those cheap painting drop cloths to cover the floor....which never got dirty but just in case. and there was a plastic lining on the bed to nothing got on the mattress. when my mom had her baby at home(only 2 months before me) she ended up holding onto one of the bed posts and squatting and thats how she delivered....she missed the chux pad somehow and did make a huge mess....peroxide didn't even get rid of it. which is why they had new carpet by the time i delievered!! so anyways, i think if you just cover the carpet with drop cloths, you will be fine.

Survivor Mom - My Blog

December 29th, 2007, 11:22 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
NO mess! I was worried about the same thing - we have new-ish and very light carpet throughout the house, but I made it from my birthing pool - in the living room on one end of the house - up the stairs to the bedroom (on the other end of the house) without making a mess at all. We had a ton of old towels ready, one of which I used between my legs going up the stairs...the only mess I saw at all was in the bathroom, where I delivered the placenta. And even then, it was just the toilet seat and a couple of drops on the floor from getting into the shower. No big deal at all.

We also had chux pads in the birth kit, and they were great - the midwives had them covering a chair in the living room so I could sit down as soon as I got out of the pool, and they had them on the bed after my shower as well. I was *amazed* at how clean everything was.
December 30th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
a good tip for the bed is to put a shower curtain liner over the sheet, then put another sheet on top of that. That way after the birth, the messy sheet can be removed along with the shower curtain, and voila, clean bed to relax in with baby.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
December 30th, 2007, 12:13 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Apparently the goat ate my post on this but we used cheap towels, a couple were messy after the fact but everything washed out. They were easy to clean up and environmentally friendly since there was no plastic to throw away.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

December 31st, 2007, 09:27 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
No mess at all. The midwives cleaned everything up.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

December 31st, 2007, 10:23 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had plastice on the floor of the bedroom and a pallet made up on that at the end of the bed. There was quite a bit of blood with the delivery of the placenta in the bathroom, but that all cleaned up easy enough of course.

My friend had her baby, blood EVERYWHERE and DEEP in the carpet, it came out with about a week and a few days of peroxide and steam cleaning. It took diligent work, but you can't even tell.

January 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Veteran
The only mess came because my water broke and had quite a bit of meconium in it. This was the start of my labor, and since we didn't realize what was about to happen, there was puddle on our cream carpet. I'm not sure what happened, but everything was spotless by the time the baby came. Before the midwife left, she had even washed a load of towels and other things we used for the birth. We did have some plastic and towels that we used as I moved around and then chux pads for the birth itself.

www.choicesoaps.com - Luxury Handmade Soap
-You've never seen soap like this before!-

January 5th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Ta3339's Avatar Regular
Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
no mess here.. Although I had my baby on the toilet and my water broke there too.. only minutes before she was born.. ( i went from the tub to the toliet to pee and never went back)

We had plenty of chux pads around, and I actually have 1/2 the package left over. I just used one when i walked from the bathroom to the bedroom.

</div>
January 10th, 2008, 07:57 PM
*Jackie*
I think a waterproof cover on the bed (you can buy them for various reasons to fit all sized beds) with cheapie sheets would work best & chux pads.

For the floor, I think we'll lay down some cheapie shower curtains and some cheapie white blankets over those. Clean the blankets and throw the curtains away.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search