Where in the house...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2008, 07:22 PM
4boys
I am trying to decide where in the house to set up my birth pool (when the time comes) and plan my birth. Obviously it will need to be near a water source but I have a few options. I was going to do it in my basement bathroom. The lights are on a dimmer, there is baseboard heat so we can make it nice and cozy if we want, the shower is right there and my bed is across the hall. The problem is that once the pool is in there, there isn't a whole lot of room to move around it. Do the midwives need a lot of room to move on the outside of the pool? The other option I am considering is my laundry room. My washing machine is no longer in the room so the taps and drain are available, there is lots more room but it would need a lot of work in order to make it a "homey", cozy place to birth in. It also has windows and being April when I'm due, maybe it'll be nice enough to open them if I want some fresh air. Probably I'll have to ask my midwife what she thinks will work best and what she would prefer, but do you ladies have any input?

Where in your house did you give birth and what necessary things did you have to have in that room to make it work? Is there something else I should consider?
January 1st, 2008, 07:56 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I havent done it yet, but I know when considering places, how did you feel in the past during birth? Did you want a smaller room to feel more intimate and private or did you like a room that is "homey". Even if it takes work to get the laundry room ready, if you really want a homey room and windows, I think it would be worth it. Will you get claustrophobic in a small space?

January 1st, 2008, 09:06 PM
4boys
I don't think so....I was at the hospital for my last birth and although no comparison to being at home, I liked that the room was quiet and dark. Maybe I'll just have to do some redecorating in the laundry room!!
January 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The bathroom sounds good as far as location, proximity to your bed, etc. As long as the midwife has room to get around it (even if she has to squeeze a little), it should be okay. I ended up on my hands and knees in my pool, so my midwife had to scoot around one side to help guide Amelia...I'm sure she wouldn't have asked me to move at that point for anything!

We put my pool in the living room...it just worked out that our washer and dryer are in the kitchen, which is adjacent to the living room. So we bought a new hose that was long enough to reach and I had my pool where I *really* wanted it to begin with.

Let us know when you decide where yours will go!

January 2nd, 2008, 07:07 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We put ours in our bedroom, next to the bed so I could transition b/w tub & bed without much of a haul knowing that if I wanted to transition from one to the other it was likely going ot be in the part of labor that I was least likely to want to move very far lol. I put it near a window b/c I like looking out side, but I ended up laboring with my back to the window & you couldnt have moved me with a bulldozer if you HAD to lol. We got a long hose & ran the water from the bathroom off the master bedroom.

I would say put it where you think youll be the most "at home". I personally wouldnt be able to imagine myself getting too relaxed in the laundry room lol - but thats just *me*. You know yourself best, and I would personally advise comfort being the #1 factor.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
January 2nd, 2008, 09:53 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
You have to consider the size of the pool and the space in the room. We'll be putting it in the living room.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

January 2nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
4boys
Well, the bathroom is far more cozy and comfy for me...plus it's painted with waves and sea creatures which is kind of fun...I just hope they don't annoy me during labor! I will just have to check with my midwife. The bathroom is still my first choice. Thanks for the input!
January 4th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I labored almost exclusively in my bedroom and bathroom. My midwives set up in the bedroom and really, their equipment didn't take up much room. I had planned a water birth but Reid ended up being born on the floor at the end of our bed I'd probably go with the bathroom if your midwives feel there is enough space there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search