Homebirth Hopeful - help please!

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2008, 03:45 PM
fijimama's Avatar Regular
Hi everyone! I've posted a bit in the Feb DDC and natural childbirth board, but I'm new here. My birth plans have changed several times, but my current plan is a waterbirth at a family member's home that is closer to the hospital, as DH and I are a bit too rural to be comfortable having our homebirth at our own home.

I'm in a developing country and my access to birth kit type of supplies is through the private hospital that is my backup. I think I'll be able to get what I need, but I need to make a list. My mom is a neonatal nurse and really wants me to have resuscitation equipment on hand in addition to the basics. I'll have an OB attending and she'll bring her supplies along too, but what should I have onsite for the whole labor and what should be her responsibility?

My question is... do any of you have a supply list for homebirth/waterbirth that you would be willing to share? Or are there online resources for making such a list? I know this is a huge question, so huge thanks to anyone who can give any suggestions!
Myah 8/11/06 (adopted 8/17/06)
Haleh 2/09/08

January 6th, 2008, 05:28 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
i know their are a couple websites that you can order a "birth kit" from...but for the life of me cannot remember the exact sites. maybe someone else on here can remember! sorry i wasn't much help!

Survivor Mom - My Blog

January 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Seems like the site mentioned here most often for ordering birth supplies is birthwithlove.com - personally, I ordered mine from inhishands.com, where my midwife had her birth kit all set up and ready to order. You might want to compare the two (and any more you might find online) to get the best prices, especially since you'll have to factor in shipping.

Here's the supply list that my midwife sent me, of the things she wanted me to have on hand. Her birth kit included everything in the first section.

Birth Kit
20 Underpads 30 x 36
1 Herbal sitz bath * comfrey, sea salt, and witch hazel are cheaper and comparable
2 Peri bottles
2 Plastic cord clamps
1 Gauze tray of 10 4x4 sterile
1 2 oz bulb syringe
5 3 gm lube jelly packets
6 gloves, medline, sterile, med.
1 Birth certificate
1 Disposable footprinter

Additional supplies
A list of needed phone numbers, including emergency (hospital) and people to call soon after birth
Organic Chloraphyll (without mint)
4 newborn hats
4 –8 newborn t-shirts
4 pairs of newborn socks
4-8 newborn blankets
Crockpot for keeping compresses warm
Cloths and towels
Maternity/Kotex pads – we recommend the “overnight w/ wings” to reduce leaking
Heating pad (to keep baby items warm prior to birth)
Olive oil
Garbage bags in cans or big trash box
Basket for laundry
Large bottle Hydrogen Peroxide for cleanup purposes
Plastic sheets + 2 sets of old sheets for bed
Comfort food, water, juices (EmergenC and/or Recharge) for labor
Simple food available for midwives
A full tank of gas in car in case of transport
Gallon size ziplock type bag for placenta

Additional optional supplies
Diapers
Video camera/tapes
Camera/film
Birth pool
Batteries
Lanolin (for breasts)
Prepared meals for postpartum
Postpartum help
CD’s for labor/postpartum
Hot/cold compresses for postpartum

Do you have your birth pool already? I ordered mine from birthwithsol.com for $37 and it was great.

I'm not really sure about the attending OB questions...it does seem as though she should be responsible for the resuscitation equipment though - have you asked her about that?

Anyway...feel free to keep the questions coming, that's what this board is here for and there are ladies that know sooo much more than I do. For what it's worth, I just had my first water birth on 12/8 and it was an AMAZING experience - so I hope yours goes exactly as you want it to as well, and I can't wait to hear about it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search