Scared

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Melamma's Avatar Member
Send a message via AIM to Melamma
Hey everyone. I am due April 12th with #3. I am planning a homebirth and I am really really looking forward to it. I have a homebirth Midwife who is amazing and my sister-in-law who was my Doula for my second, will be my Doula again.

I am just so scared something will go wrong. And i'm petrified I won't beable to carry through with this. This is my dream. I want a water birth and to deliver my baby myself.

I just need some kind encouraging words.

Thanks!

January 8th, 2008, 11:25 AM
4boys
Hey there, I am due with #4 on April 9 so we are really close together!

I think you need to be confident in the fact that your body knows what it's doing and has done this twice before. You will be way more relaxed in your home as opposed to the hospital which will make everything go better and probably faster! You will have great support and nothing will go wrong! These are the things I keep telling myself because this will be my first home birth as well.
January 8th, 2008, 11:26 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey there! Congrats on baby #3 - April will be here before we know it!

I think it is *perfectly* normal to have some fears that just won't go away before your first home birth - I know I did. I see that you have two kids, so you know what to expect - and that you're training to be a doula, which tells me that you're probably pretty well-read on home birth and know that the chances of something going wrong are pretty low. Still, there is always that teensy, teensy chance that's going to cling on to the back of your mind... Have you discussed your feelings with your midwife? Getting that out in the open really helped me to relax about the choice to birth at home - knowing that IF 'x' situation were to occur, exactly how the midwives intended to handle it. And they absolutely had a plan for every scenario I was able to throw at them. I guess that, combined with remembering how much LESS chance I had of something going wrong without a ton of medical interventions, helped me most as my due date approached.

As far as being able to carry through with it? Sure you will! It's what our bodies were designed to do. I worried about that too, but once I went into labor...well, you know how that is. I was so focused on laboring that I honestly did not stop to think "can I do this?" I was DOING it. There wasn't any turning back! There was only the briefest moment in the pool when I recall wondering just why I had signed up for this. Then there was a baby in the water, then on my chest, and it didn't matter one bit. It was THE most amazing experience of my life, and I'd never choose to have another baby in any other way.

Best of luck to you, sweetie - hang around here till the baby comes, talk to all the BTDT moms, ask any questions you might have. We'd love to get to know you better!
January 8th, 2008, 12:11 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You'll do great! I had my first home waterbirth with #3 too, and it was so worth it! It was so amazing, I wish I'd done that from the start!

Sometimes things do go wrong, but very rarely. And if they do, your midwife is trained to deal with whatever happens. She is trained to spot a problem LONG before it becomes a life or death emergency. At home, you'll be able to avoid all those hospital interventions that cause more complications than they prevent - so you can comfort yourself with that thought!
January 8th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Melamma's Avatar Member
Send a message via AIM to Melamma
Awww, thank you girls so much!!!!

Reading your replies made me smile and remember all the reasons why i'm doing this.

I hated the way I was treated at the hospital(even with Midwives, who I had since I was 33 weeks preggo with my 1st). I hated not having a say over a lot of things. I want my power as a Mother. I want full power as a Mother, not partial. I wanna do things my way. I want my postpartum to include my baby at all times.

These are just some of the reasons why I have chosen a homebirth.

I think my biggest fear, more than something going wrong is having to transfer to a hospital.

I DO NOT like them. I don't like the way you are treated and I hate hate hate all the protocol crap they have.

I know all the reasons i'm doing this. I just get scared sometimes as my due date gets closer.

I see that I do need ot be on here more for the support. You guys are awesome. Thank you again.

January 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
Quote:
Hey there, I am due with #4 on April 9 so we are really close together!

I think you need to be confident in the fact that your body knows what it's doing and has done this twice before. You will be way more relaxed in your home as opposed to the hospital which will make everything go better and probably faster! You will have great support and nothing will go wrong! These are the things I keep telling myself because this will be my first home birth as well.[/b]

I am due April 15th so we are all pretty close

And I just wanted to say that I too am pretty nervous about actually doing this. It has always been my dream, but April is so close and I am getting a little scared

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

January 9th, 2008, 06:35 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can totally relate. I remember those last weeks my biggest fear wasnt so much something going wrong itself - but the transfer to the hospital. I knew it would likely be late in labor or postpartum if a transfer became necessary - which is the time you are LEAST likely to want to transfer lol. If I make it that far, I knew I wouldnt want to go anywhere and it would be miserable & terrifying and then to have to deal with a hospital after ALLL id been through!

Of course, everythign went great, and once labor began it totally escaped my mind. I ended up having a small tear that I chose not to have stitched, and did go to see an OB later that day to have it looked at - by that time, I was on such a birth high nobody could take me down lol.

When the time comes your body will take over your mind, and it will be a non issue. But of course, preparing and working through this in the meanwhile is vital. Trust yoruself, trust that if a transfer becomes necessary - you will handle it just as you need to. And if it is necessary - then the things you fear most at the hospital will at least be warranted and you wont have the added pressure that a planned hospital birth would have. (((hugs)))

You will do great! I think its totally normal - we wouldnt be mothers if we didnt worry! lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search