More questions....

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2008, 03:38 PM
fijimama's Avatar Regular
Thanks for your help with my previous post (esp. ragmama)....

I have a few more questions about preparing for homebirth:

Could you tell me what the olive oil on the supply list is for?

Also, I came across a suggestion for putting all the newborn blankets & clothes in a hot dryer after washing, then sealing them in plastic. Is this really necessary? I don't have a dryer and so my baby will come home to clothes that are just line dried. Is it worth the trouble of bringing all the clothes & blankets for the birth to my MIL's to use her dryer?

Also, is a heating pad the best method for keeping the baby items warm? Is this necessary/beneficial? Would I just wrap everything around the heating pad, or put it all in foil with the heating pad, or ???

And finally (for now!) what is the best and easiest method for cleanup of bathroom and tiled floor if need be? Bleach? Hydrogen Peroxide? Mops? Cloths? Paper towels? We won't be at home, but at a family members', so we'll need to bring the supplies with us and pack up all the trash and laundry when we leave. I will have my husband and hopefully my mom at the birth, the OB, and some other female family members. It sounds like usually the midwife and/or doula cleans up after a homebirth. I know my mom would help with cleanup if the baby doesn't arrive before she does, but I don't know how my in-laws will feel about cleaning up blood and fluids after me & baby! We are a very close family, but I don't want to assume anything...and I want to make it as easy as possible for anyone who is willing. I am probably worrying unnecessarily about this, esp. since the baby will likely be born in the birth pool, but I just want to do my part ahead of time to make it easy.

Okay, I think that's all for now!
Myah 8/11/06 (adopted 8/17/06)
Haleh 2/09/08

January 8th, 2008, 09:52 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, you're so welcome. Keep the questions coming, we all love to talk about birth stuff here!

The olive oil...I'm not sure if it had another purpose or not, but my midwife used it to help clean baby's bottom after that first messy diaper. Meconium is SO sticky and hard to get off, but she put some olive oil in a peri bottle, squirted a little right onto her, and it wiped right off. I've used it several times since then, for particularly sticky messes.

I've never heard anything about drying baby's things and then putting them in plastic...not sure what the purpose of that would be? I do dry our baby things, since we have a dryer and it's winter, but I don't think it would hurt anything at all to have them line dried either. As long as they're washed in a mild detergent and clean...I would think that's all that matters, really!

Heating pad - midwives used this to warm up baby things for just after birth. They wrapped a towel around the heating pad, placed her clothes and receiving blankets on top of the towel, and then wrapped another towel around all that. Everything was nice and toasty warm when she arrived. I haven't used it since for anything, although I've heard of moms using a heating pad in the crib/bassinet/etc. before lying baby down, so the cold sheets don't 'shock' the baby awake. We co-sleep, so not an issue here.

Not sure what the best means of clean-up would be - whatever is quick and easy would get my vote. Do you have Lysol wipes there? There was SO very little mess with my home birth - about three drops of blood on the bathroom floor as I got into the shower was it, and they wiped up easily with a Lysol wipe. Most anything should work fine - disinfectant and a paper towel if you don't have the wipes. I think midwives, as a general rule, are great about cleaning up after a birth...the biggest chore after mine was draining the birth pool, and that was left to my husband. They did everything else, down to a couple of loads of laundry before they left.
January 8th, 2008, 10:39 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We used olive oil for perennial massage. It really helped to keep from tearing.

I think the best way to keep the babe warm is skin to skin contact, you really don't need a heating pad but if you have one it may be good for you to help with afterpains.

It's no necessary to seal things in a plastic bag, if you're someplace warm you may want to sun them but it's not something you *have* to to.

As far as the floor goes... If you have access to cheap towels that is the way I prefer to go. We laid down three towels and threw them in the wash immediately after M was born. It was quick easy and painless.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

January 9th, 2008, 06:30 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi!!!

Welcome to this side of the forums

To answer some questions (which will mostly "ditto" what the others have said):
- Olive Oil - we used for perineal massage. You could also use Evening Primrose Oil.

- Blankets in the dryer then sealing them: We did this at my MW's suggestion. I asked about it, and she requests thsi b/c the heat of the dryer kind of "sanitizes them" without adding harsh chemicals to the wash. We put it on high heat an extra 10 mins and then sealed them in a bag a few weeks before hand. This way they didnt have any germs leftover from a cold someone had, didnt gather dust or allergens, etc. If you normally line dry everything, and its not feasible it wont be a huge problem. IF you have access to a dryer, its an easy way to make sure you have clean towels etc on the day of. Ive also heard of women putting them in the oven lol. My Best friend did this b/c she didnt have immediate access to a dryer. She put them in the oven (not sure the temp or how long), in a paper bag or something? And then she put them in a large tupperware container to keep them clean until the birth. So that would be another option

-Keeping baby items warm: We didnt really do anything. I live in FL, so its not terribly cold here, and youre in a tropical climate so I doubt that will be an issue for you either Skin to skin is best, we immediately got covered with a blanket (from the ones we had sanitized in the dryer). Moved from tub to bed, and then switched out the towel for a dryer towel. Covered up with yet another blanket and we stayed there pretty much the rest of the day lol.

- Clean up: We used spare towels (not sanitized) and peroxide for the little cleanup we had to do on the floors. For the tub, we rinsed it with hot water, then soapy water with a TINY TINY bit of bleach in it, and then another rinse. For the bed, we had it set up so that it had a set of sheets, covered by a plastic mattress cover, then another set of sheets. So basiclaly all we did was strip off the dirty sheets, the plastic cover, and then underneath were clean sheets. Threw the plastic cover away, washed the clean sheets as we normally would. They had chux pads over the sheets which trapped most of the blood from postpartum, so it was no big deal. My DH was able to do all the cleanup in about 10 mins with the exception of the tub - that took about 30 mins or so.

Hope that helps! Cant wait to hear your birth story!!!!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search