Ok wait a second wait a second wait a second...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2008, 11:23 AM
*Jackie*
I'm getting confused on all the tests that are "usually" done.

What is the GD test? Is that the GBS+ test? I'm so confused.... I thought they were different tests right? GBS is to test for the bacteria and GD is for diabetes correct?

Also, is the GD test necessary?
January 11th, 2008, 12:18 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
GBS = Group B Strep
GD = Gestational Diabetes

GD isnt always necessary & can be done a myriad of ways.

GD Is usually *recommended* if you meet any of the following criteria:
- first pregnancy
- previous history of GD
- previous birth of a 9+ lb baby

And I have heard and read in some places that if the mother is overweight by a certain % than that also puts her in the *recommended* category.

OBs in the US do it routinely with every patient regardless of their risk factors. Abroad and in MW practices its rarely done, except when they meet the criteria and then its *offered* but rarely required.

When it is offered and/or required it is done one of several ways:

- Glucose drink (the way OBs do it routinely): Usually, but not always they have you fast, and then drink a high sugar drink. It has the least accuracy, and the highest likelyhood for problems ESPECIALLY if you are GD OR have hypoglocemia. You have blood drawn after 1 hour (which is when your blood sugar peaks) and if your numbers dont meet your drs standards (it varies from Dr to Dr as there is no set "guideline" - some drs set theirs higher, some lower, so you could "pass" the test by one drs standards and "fail" it by another) then you have to go for another test. This time - its a higher amount of liquid you drink (so more sugar) and they test your blood sugar usually before, at 1 hour (for the peak results) and again at 3 hours (to see if its come down). THAT determines whether you fall into the "GD" category. Personally, with my first, I didnt know about alternatives, took the standard glucose test my OB insisted on, failed the first test by 2 points, and then had to take the 3 hour test which i passed with flying colors.

- Regulated meal - this is often done by midwives. You eat a regulated meal (usually something along the lines of toast, butter, eggs, a meat, and so many ounces of orange juice). An hour later your blood is tested. If its high, then you are asked to do a full GD screen which usually consists of monitoring your food intake & blood sugar over a series of time (a week or so) before and after meals & fasting (like when you wake up in hte morning). Only then are you considered GD.

- Regulated monitoring (the option I chose "just in case" with my second, although I met none of the risk factors). Basically, for a week, you take your blood sugar in the morning (this is your fasting blood sugar) before eating. THen - one hour after lunch and dinner. I did this for a week, and verified that my glucose levels were normal & within range. Voila!

Hope that helps...

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
January 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
My midwife said I am not at high risk for Gestational Diabetes so she isn't testing me for it

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

January 11th, 2008, 08:44 PM
*Jackie*
I don't think I was tested for either with Kailey. I think I opted out... she always had me pee on a paper thingy to measure my urine for everything...
January 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I took the GD screening with my first two pregnancies and declined it with my last two.
January 13th, 2008, 09:05 PM
*Jackie*
If your diet is wonky then that stuff will show in your urine right? Protein isn't it?
January 14th, 2008, 06:04 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, and ironicaly, too LITTLE protein causes protein to leak into your urine. So that will usually show up on urine tests. Sugar sometimes will but not always, and will depend on the type of urine test they do.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search