Danger of the U/S

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM
*Jackie*
Ok, so I'm re-reading my Bradley book (I left it at work or I'd directly quote what I'm about to say here) and in it they were talking about how x-rays used to be all the rave, and now like 14 million people (the babies in the tummy) had a 50% increase in cancer (mainly women) and then after years x-rays were deemed unsafe. Now, it's suspect that US's are the same way. Not necessarily by cancer rates increasing, but other health issues. It's proven that immediately following an U/S brain activity is erratic.

I've been debating on whether we will find out the sex of #2.... and now I don't think we will, because I don't think I want an U/S anymore...
January 14th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
The questions about safety are why I do not do routine u/s. It's more fun finding out the baby's sex at birth anyway (I've done that two out of three times so far). I only do medically indicated u/s now. I never had none with Ani, had THREE with Cameron and I don't think a single one was necessary (that was before I knew the risks and the OB I went to when I was pregnant with him was different from the one I had when I was pregnant with Ani), and none with Fritz. I wasn't going to have any with this one, but then my 6 year old got chicken pox and even though I've had chicken pox twice, I have known non-immune status and it looks like I have gotten a sub-clinical infection (infection without the pox) and so we determined the benefit outweighs the risk to have an u/s this time. But I'd never have one just to find out the sex.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

January 14th, 2008, 06:02 AM
*Jackie*
We had a lot w/ Kailey because it was suspect she had DS because of that stupid AFP test.
January 14th, 2008, 06:03 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Same here. We had some concerns with my pg (which in hindsight were made out to be bigger than they really were), but in future pg's I dont think we'll do any routine or elective U/S's.

But whats interesting is that EFM (the routine monitoring during labor) has a higher risk than U/S. I forget the exact ratio but something like 10 mins of EFM is like an hour of an U/S!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
January 14th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The creator of EFM himself said that EFM should not routinely be used and had he known what problems it created he would not have invented it... thats powerful

I just hate that in other places if you talk about these things, you get written off as silly and over-reactive...

January 14th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had several u/s each with my earlier pregnancies. I had a 20 scan with Reid (though we didn't find out the gender) and then another one at 42 weeks to check on the placental function. We will probably have one with any future pregnancies, but not just for gender determination as we liked being surprised last time

January 14th, 2008, 11:00 AM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
someone in my ddc posted about a link between multiple u/s and low birth weight...freaked me out a bit. i had about a zillion in my last pregnancy and ended up with a baby a pound lighter that my first at the same gestation. i don't think now that they were all strictly necessary, but at the time a)i didn't know better and 2) we were really thinking i was going to have a 24-weeker, it seemed reasonable to keep a close eye on my cervix and the baby. i'm sure i won't be able to get out of this pregnancy with none, but i'm definitely not having a repeat of the last!
January 14th, 2008, 09:32 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow...I had three with Rachael and two with Amelia. Definitely something I'll be researching/considering more if we have a third...
January 15th, 2008, 07:37 AM
*Jackie*
Quote:
The creator of EFM himself said that EFM should not routinely be used and had he known what problems it created he would not have invented it... thats powerful

I just hate that in other places if you talk about these things, you get written off as silly and over-reactive...[/b]
I KNOW! I hate that so much! People look at you like you are some really paranoid sheltered person who never wants to let go of her kids and live in a bubble. Uh...NOT the case.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search