Thinking of home birth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2008, 11:31 AM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
I posted this in my playroom at first because I thought I wanted opinions from women who have also not gone the route of homebirth... but re-reading my post I noticed that my questions are very much geared towards women who have chosen to go that route:

"Last time around, I said that if everything went fine, I would do a home birth the next time around.. everything was great and since I chose to be discharged from the hospital the very same night, it seems kinda silly that I went to the hospital at all... lol drive to hospital, sit in their tub, go on their bed have baby, use their toilet and then drive home... lol

But at the same time, I'm scared that it just won't feel so exciting if I have the baby at home. I remember the huge "This is it!" feeling I had when the midwife told me that if I still wanted to go to the hospital we were leaving "now!". I remember thinking that we left 2 people and would come back 3! lol and I remember the feeling I felt at about 4am bringing Elyssa home.

I was also considering a water birth but I do not know if the hospital I'd be going to this time around has the proper facilities etc... I guess these are questions for my midwife.

so for those who have had home births and hospital births, was it as exciting? Was there anything you did or any mind frame you put yourself in to make it as exciting? I can't help but think that it would make life alot easier to have the baby at home since Idon't know who will be able to watch Elyssa, how we will make it to the hospital on time (DH works 1 hour away and hospital is another 45 min away) etc "

Thank You!!
January 15th, 2008, 12:39 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Having a baby - no matter where you do it - is the exciting part!

I've done it both ways (hospital and home), and there's just no comparison for me. At the time, I thought my hospital births were ok because I managed to avoid interventions and nothing had gone horribly wrong. But after my first homebirth, I look back at those births and grieve a little over how much better they *could* have been. It's hard to explain.

I really prefer having the quiet and privacy of home, no strangers poking or prodding me, being able to labour/birth however I want. At our local hospital, waterbirth isn't an option so I could only labour there and then when it was time to push I had to get out, climb up on the bed, and put my crotch under a spotlight for everybody to gawk at. At home I was able to have a waterbirth and it was so awesome! I didn't need stitches (I had with both hospital births), I hardly bled afterwards (I bled for nearly 8 weeks after both hospital births), I was barely even swollen after! It was so private too, I had support people there with me, but I didn't feel like I was on display for them all.

The very best part for me, was after it was all over - being able to crawl into my own cozy bed with my Dh and get to know our new baby.
January 15th, 2008, 12:52 PM
4boys
I haven't yet had a homebirth, but what I find exciting and what I am looking forward to most is NOT going anywhere when I go into labor and realize that "this is it". I will be so much more relaxed and free at home, plus I won't have to put up with all the annoying unnecessary protocol that hospitals put me through the last three times. I'm excited to be in charge and do whatever the heck I want during contractions!!!

My friend recently had a baby and being with her at the hospital after her baby was born made me SO angry, I just knew I had to have a home birth. The nurses were always telling her what to do and then doing it FOR her, even taking her baby away out of the room when people were there to visit for reasons that were unnecessary. Now I don't have anything against nurses, I've had great ones before, but that experience just made me realize that being at home will be WAY better.

So the excitement for me is all about NOT being at the hospital!
January 15th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Homebirth is every bit as exciting and MORE! I've done both hospital and homebirths and there is nothing like having your baby in the warm, loving atmosphere that only your home can offer.

My homebirths were also waterbirths and I loved it. Wouldn't ever want to dry-birth again. It's a wonderful experience for both you and baby!

Go for it and enjoy!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
January 15th, 2008, 01:32 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto the others... theres no explaining the feeling - particularly afterwards when you are there - right where you started - at home And to walk into that room and have the memory fo that birth BE there, its like no other. And ditto the others about looking back on previous births. I had my first at a hospital, and it was what I wanted at the time. I'm not sure homebirth or midwives ever crossed my mind, and I was ok with the whole birht b/c Id escaped disaster, it was all ok, and being a single mom then, I actually preferred the hospital to home (I was living with my mother lol) lol. Looking back there is a sort of grief, guilt, not sure what you call it - that this birht was so amazingly spiritual, powerful, EXCITING, and I sometimes am sad that I didnt have that with my first. I wish I knew then what I know now, but I dont think you ever truly understand the power of homebirth until you experience it.

Its exciting, for sure though. I remember thinking it was looking some of its "fun" with out the "rush to the hospital" but looking back - I cant imagine feeling that way about it now. Now, I go to hospitals, and see sick people, dying people, and honestly cannot IMAGINE going THERE to bring a life into this world or for such a life moving experience. It just seems ironic at best. TO me, birth is much more intimate at home than it could ever be at the best hospital birth.

JMO of course

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
January 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
See it's hard for me to see hospital as so interfearing because my birth was not like that. The only contact I had with the nurses was them saying hi to me when the midwife checked us in and then saying congratulations when we left the hospital. The only people I had in my hospital room was DH and my midwife... until the pushing began.. and then a second midwife that I knew from my midwifery office showed up for the birth and left soon after (as she had come directly after another birth and was in dire need of sleep)

That being said... the only advantage I felt involved with going to a hospital is that they had a jacuzzi and a nicer rocking chair then I did.. but I have moved, and I have no idea what the hospital I would be going to now has for facilities...

I'm very much leaning towards home birth... I guess I need to speak to my midwife about it.

Thanks for all your answers!
January 15th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I responded to you on our PR, but I'll copy and paste it here too...

I'm planning my first home birth this time around. I've really come full circle when it comes to my birthing preferences... with each birth experience I've learned more about what I want and don't want. Lily was induced by an OB in a hospital when contractions didn't start after my water broke. After a painful induction with pitocin, I got an epidural and pushed for nearly two hours. I still have chronic back pain from the epidural. Julia was my all natural waterbirth, attended by a midwife in a birthing center. It was wonderful, but something was still missing. This little one will be born at home (if everything goes as planned) attended by a midwife. I'm so excited for it. My kids will be there (if they choose to be). I have these visions of giving birth and then DH, the girls, baby and I all curling up in our bed watching a Disney movie. I don't know, it sounds funny, but I am just so looking forward to that family time where nurses won't be coming in, where my baby won't leave me for any reason, etc. It just sounds so appealing to birth where I'm most comfortable.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck with making your decision.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 15th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Quote:
I have these visions of giving birth and then DH, the girls, baby and I all curling up in our bed watching a Disney movie.[/b]
Awww Christine! That image you just gave me has probably been the most appealing of all the reasons I have read!! I imagined it too and got tears in my eyes... I have to admit I am really swaying this way.. especially now thatw e own our first house.. it seems right.. And the good news is my cousin just did a home birth with her last child, so I won't be encountering the family resistance I would have otherwise!
January 15th, 2008, 04:21 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Keep us posted. I loved being able to be in the bed after the birth and think "Made at home, born at home, what a full circle".

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
January 15th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Well I spoke about it with DH and he is on board.. all that is left is see what my midwife has to say about it... my current midwife is a bit different then my last one... She is considering me a bit more high risk because I am overweight (not that overweight by the looks of me but pretty bad according to my BMI) but considering the textbook pregnancy and delivery I had last time, and the textbook pregnancy I've had so far this time around... She'll probably be right on board with me
January 15th, 2008, 07:53 PM
*Jackie*
Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!
January 15th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had my first three babies in a hospital and my last one at home. There is no comparison to me. I absolutely loved every aspect of my home birth. When we drive down our street I remember walking around our block in the beginning stages of labor looking up at the stars and talking with DH about our final guess for gender/weight of the baby. Often when I'm in our bathroom I think back on the chicken salad sandwich my DH fed to me while I labored in our tub. I love walking into my bedroom and remembering what it was like to be in labor, using the end of my bed for support. I remember the look on my daughter's face when she walked into our bedroom, moments after her brother was born and gave him a kiss for the first time. My last hospital birth was nice, but it was no comparison to birthing in my own home, surrounded by everything that comforts me. Plus, there is the benefit of not packing a hospital bag

Good luck with your decision and congrats on your pregnancy!

January 15th, 2008, 11:42 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ooh, good luck with your decision! I've had one of each, hospital and home birth, and I agree wholeheartedly with the others - there's just no comparison. The old saying "there's no place like home" is absolutely true, and in the somewhat vulnerable state of labor...well, being at home certainly made me more comfortable. It was every bit as exciting...there was the "this is it!" moment when I called the midwife and heard her say she was loading the car and out the door, and of course, the amazing thrill when I looked down into the birth pool and saw my baby for the first time. And to be able to go upstairs into my own shower, and then my own bed with the baby, was just HEAVEN. And like Lala said, it's very cool to be sitting in the living room floor playing with my girls and remember that Amelia was born right here.

Keep us posted with what's going on with you - I'm looking forward to hearing about your birth!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search