question

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2008, 07:50 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Lurker for now, (I possible may have gotten a BFP this morning, can't wait to test again in the AM, hopin for a darker line)

Anyways, DH and I know for certain we are planning on using a midwife and have a home birth, maybe even water birth as well.

Well, I've never been pregnant, so I'm still a newbie to everything and I can imagine everything is different with a midwife than OB.

I figured if I get a darker BFP tomorrow then I'll give the midwife in this area a call, to possibly set up a meeting and future appt. My question: do midwives send you for pregnancy blood tests? Or should I request this? (I'm nervous being first time mom and it's taken us 13 cycles to get a possible BFP)

Thanks so much! Any other tips are welcome!

January 15th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Depends on your midwife.. some certainly do because many feel you need to know as soon as possible. There are levels of medical interventions that midwives are ok with and many do not consider blood testing an intervention or something to steer clear of.

I would say to do the blood test for sure

January 15th, 2008, 09:11 PM
*Jackie*
I don't see the harm in it so I'd do it if needed. I have no idea if my MW does these or not as my first appt. was when I was 13wks so they just listened for a heartbeat and obviously hearing it determined that I was in fact pregnant.
January 15th, 2008, 10:46 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board and (most likely) congrats! Let us know when you see that darker line in the morning!

My midwife didn't send me for any testing to confirm the pregnancy...I had taken several at home and was comfortable in that the second pink line kept showing up. But, no harm in it if she does request it - or if you feel more comfortable getting a definitive answer from an OB or lab.

Hope to see you around here often! It took us nine and thirteen months (respectively) to conceive our daughters, so I imagine you've been down a similarly frustrating (sometimes heartbreaking) road - I hope this is the end of it for you!
January 16th, 2008, 05:33 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi & Welcome!

Some MWs will do it but Ive found that *most* homebirth MWs dont do it routinely. They usually have no problems sending you for one if you request it though. Usually the mindset is - if youre pg, youre pg! If we confirm, great, but otherwise, time will tell Early MC isnt uncommon, and theres rarely anything you can do about it, hence the need for a blood test isnt really so necessary. In women with repeat MC's they may want that blood test to know to start progesterone etc... but otherwise, its rarely necessary.

I can understand your position though - it took us MANY months of TTC and finally ended up on Clomid! But now we have our little homebirth clomid baby and were happy as loons lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
January 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks ladies! I appreciate it.

Looks like it was a chemical based of the positive then negative HPTS, my high/steady temps and my delayed AF.

Hope I'll be back here soon, on cycle #14 in 10 months and will be starting Femara this cycle.

January 17th, 2008, 06:13 PM
*Jackie*
Quote:
Thanks ladies! I appreciate it.

Looks like it was a chemical based of the positive then negative HPTS, my high/steady temps and my delayed AF.

Hope I'll be back here soon, on cycle #14 in 10 months and will be starting Femara this cycle.[/b]
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
January 17th, 2008, 06:45 PM
THank you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search