pain of labor

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
Okay, its not really the pain Im worried about. I was given pitocin with both of my pregnancies. I went epidural free with my son, but got an epidural with my daughter. One of the reasons I dont want a hospital birth is their routine admission of pitocin. I was 4cm and my water broke when I went to the hospital to have my daughter. Does that sound like I needed some pitocin?! And from 0-4cm I had very few contractions and they were NOT painful at all. I dont know what TRUE labor pain feels like. I just know its VERY painful with pitocin to the point the nurses had to tell me to be quiet when I was laboring with my son. Maybe I just didnt know how to handle the pain well - but if the nurses didnt like how loud I was in labor - are my neighbros going to be calling the cops while Im trying to have my baby?! (I live in a condo - thin walls!)

So, how bad is it WITHOUT pitocin? anyone have a birth with it and without it so they can compare for me? I realize the pain is different for every woman and pregnancy and affects every woman and pregnancy differently. I think just the fact that I wont have nurses bugging me and IV's ETC will reduce the amount of pain I'm in. But is there anyway to labor quietly (at least somewhat)? If the pain is like it was with my son - I cant imagine I can! Im sure its natural to be vocal about your pain during childbirth. but is there a natural way NOT to be?

thanks. the more research we do, the more certain we are this is what we want. I even have DH's full support now. Just have to make it to 37 weeks instead of 35 or 36!
January 16th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I have only had 1 baby and it was with pitocin so I am really no help.

My water started leaking at 8:30pm and contractions didn't start until 6am, they were not regular or strong yet. I called my doctor and she told me to come in and get checked. It was my water leaking so she sent me to the hospital to be induce. She said I had to have the baby before 8:30 that night or the baby could get an infection. So I was scared and did what she said. I got to the hospital at 11:30am and had my daughter at 8:53pm.

The pitocin was awful. My contractions were less then a minute apart so I couldn't even breath between them. I got 2 shots of stadal, which did not help with the pain at all, but it made it a little easier to breath.

Anyways sorry for the long story. I just wanted to say that I too wonder how the pain will be with out pitocin.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

January 16th, 2008, 03:24 PM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
where i'm at, you can birth at home @ 36 weeks. yes, 37 is better...

i was given pit with #2, but in all honesty, i didn't notice a difference. then again, i was on it at the lowest dosage possible for less than 30 minutes before she was born. so my experience doesn't really count. i was really quiet in labor.
my first was all natural, and far more uncomfo9rtable, but i wasn't really loud except for the ten minutes i wanted to push and the nurse kept telling me i couldn't push because i wasn't complete yet. i was marching around mt labor room yelling at h, yelling at the nurse...ah, good times!

i'd bet money that you would find labor far easier to cope with if not for the pit, and therefore be quieter. just my thought.
January 16th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
thanks for the input so far ladies! the ONE midwife who has responded so far said they MAY let me have a home birth before 37 weeks if their back up OB approves. Im kind of starting to lean towards an unassisted birth.
January 16th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've done both. For me labor with pitocin was just as painful as without pitocin. Labor is usually painful no matter where you are, but many women find it easier to relax at home. That can make labor pain much more managable.

Just curious, what makes you think you will go into labor before 37 weeks?

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
January 16th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had three pitocin births and one natural birth. I found the contractions were so much easier without the pitocin. I can't say for sure if it was because I was home and more comfortable or if it was just not having the pitocin that made it better. I did find that my body gave me natural breaks at times during labor. Sometimes my contractions would space out or be less intense for a while and it gave me time to rest. With the pitocin they were so regular and strong the whole time that I felt worn out faster.

January 16th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
I think there is an increased chance of me going into labor before 37 weeks because because my son I went into labor at 32 weeks and they stopped it. I had him at 36 weeks (but that was due to inducton for blood pressure - probably from the stress of premature labor)

my daughter I went into labor at 28 weeks which they slowed down. With both I didnt realize I was in labor - thought I was having Braxton hicks contractions. By 33 weeks I was 4 cm dilated with her, and at 35 weeks my water broke.

I do have an optimistic feeling I can make it to 36 weeks or past that this time, but my cervix is already under 3cm - however, I think that is just the norm for me.

also - i just FEEL like my labor wouldn't have been as painful without that pitocin! i mean, I did dilate to 4 with my daughter without any pain! water broke - no pain. they gave me pitocin - and boom immediate pain!
January 16th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Super Mommy
That could just be the way your cervix is. When I am pregnat mine stays two to three. From your history it sounds like you had only one early labor and one that was induced early, and, thus not an indication of the future.

Also look closly at your daughter's labor. Were you delivering early because of you or were there many "checks" done to your cervix that could have introduced infection and or irration that started labor early.

Mom to boys: G 7, C 5, K 4, N 3

January 16th, 2008, 08:49 PM
*Jackie*
I got to 10cm on my own and I wasn't in pain at all.
January 16th, 2008, 09:37 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had Pitocin with my first and a home birth with my second. The Pitocin contractions were rough - as others have said, there wasn't much of a break between them, and they were pretty evil. Unfortunately, I also had an epidural, which alleviated a lot of the pain (that was the only good part of it!) I'm not sure how well I would've handled them without the pain relief, they were pretty intense.

With my second birth...they were pretty uncomfortable, but nothing like the Pitocin-induced contractions. I sat in my glider rocker for the majority of my labor and they were easy enough to handle by rhythmically rocking through them. Like Alison said, they spaced out a few times and varied in intensity, so I had time to rest between pretty often. And I didn't make any noise at all until her head was crowning - and then I screamed, but only for a couple of minutes. I really think that in a natural birth scenario it's more common to withdraw into yourself and focus on what your body is doing...making it naturally less loud.

If you're really worried about the noise factor, I'd say just let the neighbors know that you'll be birthing at home *just in case* things get noisy - but I'd bet it wouldn't last very long for you either.

My midwife was willing to deliver at home at 36 weeks too - but she didn't have a backup anybody to answer to.
January 16th, 2008, 10:26 PM
4boys
I haven't had pitocin ever, but my second birth was augmented by AROM and my third birth was induced with cervidil, both of which I consider an un-natural intervention. In comparison with my first birth which was completely med-free (although at a hospital confined to a bed hooked up to IV and no options for moving because I was 35 weeks), the pains of my last two births were phenomenally MORE painful. As in screaming from 4-10 cm no matter what I tried and NEEDING the spinal the second time because I just could not take it. With my first I refused pain meds because I honestly did NOT need them, I was breathing through contractions just fine, even from 8-10 cm. And before coming to the hospital while I labored at home, I was in significantly more pain because I WASN'T breathing properly but I did have lots of showers which helped a lot. So I totally know where you are coming from. I wouldn't expect to be quiet during birth because it is still painful even if it is manageable, but there might just be a big difference in the amount of pain you experience.

I am hoping this time being at home and going all natural without an induction will give me a birth experience like my first, minus the confinement to a bed and IV!
January 17th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
My first was pitocin induced. My water broke around midnight and by noon the next day no contractions had started, although I was 4cm. My OB started me on pitocin then and I went from feeling nothing to nonstop pain. I ended up getting an epidural around 4pm and labored with that for the remainder of my labor.

My second was a natural waterbirth in a birthing center. The contractions were so much different. I never knew that you could have a break in between them, LOL. I found my second birth so much more easier than my first. I had contractions throughout the day, starting at 6am and didn't give birth till 2am the next day. The only difficult part of my labor was transition. Luckily that only lasted about 45 minutes.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 17th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Little Mrs Sunshine
thanks so much for sharing your insight with me ladies! I am beginning to feel more and more confident I can do this!

pat- I have a good feeling about my pregnancy. I am comfortable delivering at home at 36 weeks, and hope to find a midwife who feels the same, just in case.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search