What did you pay?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
In my online research, Ive found home births ranging anywhere from 1700-4000. $4000 being on the high end in very few geographical locations. STRANGELY enough, when trying to find a midwife, Ive learned im one of those locations! (doesnt seem right considering where I live to be honest) but so far Ive ben quoted, $4000, $3900, and $3700. The midwife I like best so far is $4000 (and if its a difference between $3700 and $4000 Im just gonna go with the lady I like. BUT I dont think I can afford that much. hoping to get insurance.

I DO realize a home birth is much less expensive then a hospital birth, and for all they do, I DO think the $4000 is reasonable. But because its so much cheaper everywhere else, I don't understand why it would be so much WHERE I LIVE. I am set on having a home birth at this point, but whether or not I can afford to have a midwife attend my home birth is another story.

I was wondering where everyone lives and what it costs in your area?
January 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm in North Texas and it was around $3800. I paid at an out of network rate so I believe my portion was $1800 and insurance covered the rest.
January 16th, 2008, 07:29 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
my insurance doesn't cover home births either.....i'm having mine in houston and it will cost about 3000. but i wanted to tell you that most midwives work with you to pay things off. i know my midwife has payment plans and whatnot to help ppl who really want a home birth but can't really afford it. and i think the reason is because most midwives LOVE what they do....so its not JUST about the money, kwim?

Survivor Mom - My Blog

January 16th, 2008, 07:50 PM
*Jackie*
We'll pay 2500.
January 16th, 2008, 07:54 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im in FL as well adn paid about 1700. There is a HB MW in this area charging 4k though.

If shes a licensed MW you have a good chance your ins will pay, and even if they wont you have a good chance of appealing that

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
January 16th, 2008, 08:53 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We live in southern Virginia, in a small town - paid $2000 for our midwife. And was happy to do it, knowing how much they CAN charge in other areas. I'm really sorry yours is one of them.

Ditto Kristin, though, definitely talk to her about some sort of payment plan if you have a midwife in mind that you really like. Mine was willing to let me pay however and whenever I wanted to, as long as payment in full was made by 36 weeks.
January 16th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I'm in North Texas and it was around $3800. I paid at an out of network rate so I believe my portion was $1800 and insurance covered the rest.[/b]
using the same midwife as Alison

January 17th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Little Mrs Sunshine
thanks again ladies! LaLa do you mind sharing what county you live in? or pming me, maybe we are close by?

I got a response from one of my top 2 picks this morning. She seems like someone I would get along with! She said she will help me get medicaid (which will cover it) or she will work with me on a price that is fair for my income level! She will be the first one I meet with. Ill keep you ladies posted.
January 17th, 2008, 07:39 AM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
I really lucky, being in Canada the entire cost is covered by health care.. so I don't even know how much it would cost, we never even get an invoice.
January 17th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Little Mrs Sunshine
thats awesome! if i get health care it will cover it. i was supposed to get it, but my paper work keeps getting lost. the last time i sent 12 pages via certified mail all with my reference number on it... they "lost" the 6 pages of proof of identity and denied me so I hd to start over. (the 4 times I applied they always "lost" something - or pretended i didnt send it in) so I now have someone advocating my case and representing me as witness that the items are being sent in.
January 17th, 2008, 08:29 AM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
oh wow! That sounds like such a nightmare to deal with!! I hope you manage to get it all sorted out soon!! It would make your life much easier!!

Good Luck!
January 17th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Little Mrs Sunshine
thank you

Its hard not to feel like my case worker is doing these things intentionally. When I call it takes me an hour to get a real person on the phone who just tells me "i cant help you, you have to contact your case worker" okay how do I contact her? "you have to go down to the office in person." UGH! I dont drive, and my husband works 6pm to 6am (usually later) and then sleeps all day so its really hard to get there in person. Hopefully 5th times a charm! Im going nuts with the whole thing.

besides, think I want to see this lady? I might hurt her!! lol

Im glad for the lady who emailed me this morning. She really wants to help me, and if I cant get insurance it sounds like she will give me a reasonable rate.
February 3rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
our midwife is on a sliding fee scale from $1500-$3800 based on OUR feelings of how much we can afford. she never asked for a statement of income or anything like, but we signed a contract based on what we thought we could afford. my insurance doesn't cover my midwife or birth center, but both are going to submit to them just to turn their heads a little. she will submit for $3800 but i won't pay more than our arranged amount. same for birth center, i dont' know how much they will submit, but no matter what i won't pay more than $500 just for the birth center. imagine

</div>
February 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Also in Canada, but in Alberta homebirth is not covered at all. We hired a midwife from Montana, $2200 plus gas to drive here.
February 4th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I'm jealous... ours is running us $6,000. We had to pay $2,000 upfront, and are hoping that our insurance covers some of the rest.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
February 4th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I know here in Washington Medicaid will pay at least *some* of the costs for a homebirth, but I think it's just midwife fees, I don't think they cover supplies, but I'm not sure. Looking into it for my next birth

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

April 13th, 2008, 10:14 PM
littlebabydolly
Gosh darn! I better start saving.
April 14th, 2008, 12:41 AM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
On Maui, all midwives cost $3,000, so that is what we're paying! They aren't "recognized" or whatever by insurance companies.. I wish we were one of those "cheaper" places!

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
April 16th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
I'ts about 4,000 around here and my insurance won't cover it!

April 16th, 2008, 01:11 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Quote:
I'ts about 4,000 around here and my insurance won't cover it![/b]

Often I ponder what the use of insurance even is.. 8 times outta 10 they don't cover what I'm in need for and it's just eating up money being completely useless to me..

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search