just looking for some opinions..

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2008, 09:14 PM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i'm just wondering if it's going to be worth FOR ME to pay the extra $100 for the option of a waterbirth. i didn't have the option of a tub with zoe, but the shower was GREAT. but i basically had a silent labor with selene- even i wasn't totally convinced there was a baby coming right until she crowned. so even though i did have the option, i never used it- labor wasn't even slightly uncomfortable ever, and only 6 hours from the first contraction i was able to palpate until she was born.
i know third babies are supposed to be the wildcard, anything could happen babies, but what do you guys think? i can't get a refund if i don't end up using the tub btw, so it could be 100 bucks down the drain... but i'm Sooo going to want it if labor is liken my first.
January 17th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
okay I have no answers, but your post left me with questions (sorry) if you dont mind me hijacking for a second:

what is: "palpate until she was born" mean?
what does: silent labor mean? (seems self explanatory lol)
and WHY ARE 3RD BABIES A WILDCARD? what does that mean?
January 17th, 2008, 11:26 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Unfortunately, that's a tough call...there's no way to know whether or not you're going to want to get in the tub during labor. But if you're planning to birth at home, you'll at least have the shower, right? Of course, that would most likely mean having to get out and to your birthing spot at some point...so do keep that in mind. You might have to come out of the water sooner than you'd like, while you're still up to moving around.

Maybe you could go with a less expensive pool, so you won't be out SO much money if you don't use it after all? Mine was only $37 + shipping, and it was worth every penny to me - even though I was only in it for an hour before Amelia was born.

Wish I could help, but it seems like one of those 50/50 chance things, unless you just know that you want to birth IN the water. I knew I wanted a water baby early on, so the tub was a no-brainer for me.
January 17th, 2008, 11:33 PM
*Jackie*
Quote:
okay I have no answers, but your post left me with questions (sorry) if you dont mind me hijacking for a second:

what is: "palpate until she was born" mean?
what does: silent labor mean? (seems self explanatory lol)
and WHY ARE 3RD BABIES A WILDCARD? what does that mean?[/b]
Getting scared? LOL!!!

I have the first two questions she does as well.

As for the tub, you can get them for around 40 bucks.
January 17th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
im not scared, but that wild card thing has me wondering if I should be! LOL
January 18th, 2008, 06:56 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think your best option is going to be going with a less expensive pool. What we did was buy a tub (the La Bassine from http://www.yourwaterbirth.com) and then sold it. Ok, well the *plan* was to sell it b/c of money issues. But, silly me, I have this emotional attachment now and cant imagine giving (or selling) the spot where my daughter was born to someone else. Lol. Its sitting in the garage in the interim, and will probably be rotted for a long time by the time my daughter grows up lol, but I just cant bear to get rid of it. At least not until we set it up one summer and play/swim in it lol.

Seriously, though, our La Bassine was not expensive, and it was OURs. Its big enough for the kids to play in so I at least have some use of it if I never get rid of it lol. But, My MW is still offering to pay me 60% of the cost if I sell it to her. I didnt buy any extras except a clean marine grade hose from Lowes along with a connector to hook it up to the bathroom sink to fill it. It stayed warm, but I also only have about 4 hour labors.

To answer the other ladies too btw, usually palpating means to to feel on the stomach to feel the position of the baby, etc (pushing on it sorta) - I'm not sure if thats what she means inthis context, hopefully shell clarify.

Silent labors are typically those lucky ones where the mom is very relaxed lol - shes silent, just focused & breathing. Not necessarily intentionally, but just relaxed, quiet, no need for the moaning and groaning that folks like me are famous for lol.

And finally - the third birth is known as the *wildcard* - the "anything can happen" baby. Its really just a saying more than anything - you can usually expect your second labor to be very similar to your first. But then, the third, could be anything. Many moms that have fast quick labors with their first two might not with their third (theres never a guarantee of course, this is just kind of the equivalent to an old wives tale). Its not true for everyone, but its just one of those things to remind you that you shouldnt bet on your third being like the other labors just b/c the first two labors were very similar.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
January 18th, 2008, 10:44 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Why is the waterbirth option an extra $100? We bought our birthpool for just $38, and it was DEFINITELY worth it! Much more comfortable than a tub because the bottom is inflatable, so it's like sitting on a cloud instead of a hard surface. I've used it for two births, going on 3 in just a few more weeks...

Here's the one we got (the smaller one):
http://www.birthwithlove.com/categories/it...uarian+Birthing
January 18th, 2008, 02:17 PM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i don't quite mean palpating to feel for the baby's position, but it's the same idea- feeling with my hands for contractions. see, i have really intense contractions for the first 16-18 weeks, and then couldn't feel them at all with selene. by silent labor, i mean, i never felt a contraction the way you guys mean. i couldn't even feel a tightening, except with my hands. and the "traditional" midwives' saying is that "first labors are hard, second labors are easy, and third babies are a wildcard." i think i got that particular phrasing from the book baby catcher, but i've heard the same general idea from all over the birth community here.

i know i can get a pool for way less than $100. i found the pool shawna posted a link to on sale for under 30 on another site. but $100 is what my midwife charges for a waterbirth- it includes rental of her pool, set-up, post-birth cleanup and breakdown. i'm going to ask at my next prenatal if she would charge the whole fee if i provide my own pool- which really, i'd rather do anyway. i'm hoping she can work with me on it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search