how dirty does the water get

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
My boyfriend said there is no way he will get in the tub with me while I am in labor. He said he remembers seeing all the blood and stuff with Amara and he does not want to sit in that. He thinks it would be really gross.

So how dirty does the water really get???

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

January 18th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
i dont know - but i was thinking he can get in the tub with you while you are laboring, and then when its "time" he can get out?
January 18th, 2008, 06:52 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It can get a little gross, I don't like staying in there too long afterwards myself so I can understand if your BF doesn't want to be in it. If you like a lot of physical support, he could easily do that just during labour and get out once you're pushing.

Personally, I don't like too much contact because I need room to move around - rock back and forth or whatever. I like it when DH just holds my hand or strokes my hair - enough touch to let me know he's there for me, but not enough to interfere with my work space. (Ha ha, get it? Work space. Labour. )
January 18th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Quote:
I like it when DH just holds my hand or strokes my hair - enough touch to let me know he's there for me, but not enough to interfere with my work space. (Ha ha, get it? Work space. Labour. )[/b]

LOL you are too funny Shawna

I don't think I would want him in the water while I am pushing, just while I labor. So it shouldn't get to dirty until I start pushing, right? And actually I have no idea if I would want him in there at all. I am just looking at what my options are, and trying to talk him into it just in case I feel I want him in there.

January 18th, 2008, 07:28 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, it's not dirty until after the baby comes out and all the gunk that comes with that process.

January 18th, 2008, 07:30 PM
thanks for that info

January 18th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My Dh said the same thing. And he never did get in the water with me during any of my labors/births which was totally fine with me. For me, there was loss of blood and mucus and stuff during the labor phase before the actual delivery so yes, it can get kind of gross. It gets much much bloodier during delivery and even more so if you deliver the placenta under water.

As for support, if Dh really doesn't want to get in the water make sure there is plenty of room around the labor tub if possible so hubby can have easy access to you to hold your hand, give massage, whatever he needs to without being in the water.

edit: sorry, replace Dh with Bf. posting after a long, tiring day.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
January 18th, 2008, 08:39 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto the others. It was pretty gross when all was said and done (and I didn't deliver the placenta in the pool), but it didn't get gross until pushing and birth. DH didn't want to get in with me, and it was totally fine...he just leaned over the side of the tub and I was able to hold onto him just fine from there. I didn't really want him in my "work space", as Shawna says, either!

I really didn't realize just how gross it would be, and didn't realize it at the time either...it was only afterward when DH was talking about emptying it.
January 18th, 2008, 10:43 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ah this is a good story for ya;

DH refused to get in the tub, I was mad at first but as labor got underway, it worked out great, b/c I could barely tolerate him touching my hair and I can imagine I would have probably kicked him out of the tub lol.

The tub was fine until the baby came along and even then, was only slightly red with blood. A little blood goes a long ways though - just a little bit will make it look like a lot in water. You couldnt drag me out of the tub after the birth, so I ended up delivering the placenta in there as well. I just couldnt stand the feeling of being up and walking with the weight of the placenta *right there*. I tried to get up, I really did... but I kid you not, the weight of that placenta dragged me back down lol. Or at least it felt that way. So I delivered the placenta in the water. Now, at this point, there were white towels in the water, and I will say - it LOOKED like a lot of blood, but the white towels still came out white. Not even pink. So I know it looks like more than it actually is.

Well - DH, who was too grossed out to get in the pool even for the clean part (labor)... ended up getting stuck with tub cleaning duty. We didnt buy a pump, our plan was to runa hose out the window & let gravity do its job - like you used to do with a fish tank lol. Well - didnt work! He had to get a bucket & hand bucket out all the water. Including the pieces of placenta or whatever the heck was in there lol.

He managed, but its one thign we will never forget lol. He pailed water for an hour I think lol. When it was *mostly* empty, someone helped him drag it outside (it was too heavy of course when it was full) and they dumped it in the back yard.

So - for me the water was crystal clear until AFTER the birth. I had no mucousy discharge, no bloody show, no nothing.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
January 19th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How funny that our husbands still talk about emptying the pool. Mine does too. Guess it was a bit traumatizing for them.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
January 19th, 2008, 08:52 AM
4boys
LOL, my DH is gonna be thrilled! I'm just not gonna tell him until it happens!

My friend who is my doula had a water birth last year and she said the water stayed clear except for a bit of plug at the bottom. I'm not expecting my pool to stay that clean!
January 19th, 2008, 07:55 PM
*Jackie*
I had clumps of blood come out during labor.
January 19th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Ah this is a good story for ya;

DH refused to get in the tub, I was mad at first but as labor got underway, it worked out great, b/c I could barely tolerate him touching my hair and I can imagine I would have probably kicked him out of the tub lol.

The tub was fine until the baby came along and even then, was only slightly red with blood. A little blood goes a long ways though - just a little bit will make it look like a lot in water. You couldnt drag me out of the tub after the birth, so I ended up delivering the placenta in there as well. I just couldnt stand the feeling of being up and walking with the weight of the placenta *right there*. I tried to get up, I really did... but I kid you not, the weight of that placenta dragged me back down lol. Or at least it felt that way. So I delivered the placenta in the water. Now, at this point, there were white towels in the water, and I will say - it LOOKED like a lot of blood, but the white towels still came out white. Not even pink. So I know it looks like more than it actually is.

Well - DH, who was too grossed out to get in the pool even for the clean part (labor)... ended up getting stuck with tub cleaning duty. We didnt buy a pump, our plan was to runa hose out the window & let gravity do its job - like you used to do with a fish tank lol. Well - didnt work! He had to get a bucket & hand bucket out all the water. Including the pieces of placenta or whatever the heck was in there lol.

He managed, but its one thign we will never forget lol. He pailed water for an hour I think lol. When it was *mostly* empty, someone helped him drag it outside (it was too heavy of course when it was full) and they dumped it in the back yard.

So - for me the water was crystal clear until AFTER the birth. I had no mucousy discharge, no bloody show, no nothing.

Lala...[/b]

that is a funny story, I didn't even think about cleaning the pool. I will keep that to myself until the time comes, or he would probably try and talk me out of having a water birth LOL

January 20th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Veteran
Mine was fine until the baby actually come out. Clear water. It also depends on if you tear and if the cord is cut while you are still in the water, both of those things are going to make more blood.

For me, I did tear (almost 10 lb baby! ) and the cord was cut fairly quickly cause he needed a little help breathing so they had to move him. I stayed in the pool while they worked with him andpar tof my brain registered that the water was getting gross and the other part just said "ahhhh....but it still feels realy good......)

Honestly, I didn't care a bit that the water was a bit yucky! I asked DH and he said the cleaning wasn't a problem, but our midwife did almost all of it. he just helped a little. Definitely recommend a pump though! Our midwife brings one. I would NOT want to cart it all out by hand!

January 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
Veteran
my partner didnt want to get in for the very reason that the water would be bloody an yuck well i had no blood or anything in the water he was annoyed he should have go tin but oh well next time.

January 23rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DH had to empty it via bucket as well...and FIL helped. I did tear, so I'm sure it wasn't pleasant. Six weeks later, he's still asking just what the things floating in the water were. Um, I really hesitate to speculate on that one.

Oh gosh, I just have to keep coming back to this thread to read about the DH reactions!
January 23rd, 2008, 10:37 PM
fijimama's Avatar Regular
My DH has no desire to get in the tub either - good to know some other Daddy's feel that way too! I mean, you see pictures of the waterbirth couple cuddling their baby and it looks very cozy. But in reality, I really think I'll want my own space for labor and birth, AND I don't blame him for not wanting to be bathed in birthing fluids. He's not faint of heart by any means, but we didn't really even have to discuss this one.... We just left it that unless I REALLY want him in there for some reason, the plan is he'll stay right by my side on the outside of the pool!
Myah 8/11/06 (adopted 8/17/06)
Haleh 2/09/08

January 27th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Xx5Xy1+'s Avatar What's your superpower?
I don't know if Tom will want to get in with me or not. MAYBE during labor, definatly not during delivery... and I don't plan to tell him what the water might look like afterwards LOL I'll just make sure I find one that can be drained by a hose lol then he doesnt have to worry about it as much.

Of course we still have to get the whole 'getting pregnant' part handled and that requires at least an appropriately timed R&R trip. Until then, it won't matter what I can convince him that we should do... once we get that BFP things may change... of course he doens't realise yet that I have no intention of giving birth in a hospital short of it being a life threatening emergency for the baby or me.

Thank you 3Daughters for my AWESOME siggy!

Hoping to add a new member to our family through adoption in August 2011
~*~
I am a sleep deprived, pro-life, homebirth supporting, babywearing, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, non-vaxing, attachment parenting, conservative thinking, Constitution defending, gun owning, Torah learning, US Army Veteran who is married to her hero... A US Army Soldier! If this offends you, then stop reading my signature!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search