What do I need to have?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Ok, so I'm not planning a home birth. I'm going for a VBA2C, and DH is just not comfortable with the idea since I've never been in labor before, and the UR rates are a bit higher. So, I'm okay with that. I've got a great midwife and OB that are very supportive. (I do have fantasies of a home birth because we didn't make it to the hospital in time, though! hehe!)

The hospital I am going to is 2 hours away. My Mom will be here tomorrow night to be with me for the next 2 weeks. (I'm 39w3d) She isn't now, but was a lay-midwife when I was 8 years old. So, if anything were to happen, I feel comfortable in knowing that she has a clue on what to do.

So, my question...What should I have on hand (or rather, packed in the van), in case we don't make it to the hospital in time and need to birth the baby at home, or the side of the road? Since it would be "unassisted", there would be no medical gear of any kind. Also, since I am less than a week from my guess date, I don't have time to order a kit and have it delivered.

Any advice you all have would be greatly appreciated!
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

January 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You just need a few basic things to put together an emergency birth kit:

Clean blankets or towels to wrap the baby in
Sterile scissors to cut the cord with (you can sterilize them yourself by boiling)
Clean string for tying the cord
Plastic garbage bags, to put soiled towels/blankets in and also to put the placenta in
Suction bulb to clean baby's airway if needed - you can pick one up in the baby section of the drugstore

That's about it!
January 24th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I don't really have anything to add, but wanted to wish you lots of luck with your VBA2C!!!! Please update us when you can and let us know how it all turned out!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
Quote:
I don't really have anything to add, but wanted to wish you lots of luck with your VBA2C!!!! Please update us when you can and let us know how it all turned out!![/b]
Shawna seemed to cover what you would need. I too wanted to wish you luck on your VBA2C!!! Please do update us.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

January 25th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Thanks so much! My Mom suggested I get a fracture pan. Since I have my MW appointment today, maybe I'll ask her if she can give me any supplies.

I'll let you all know my outcome. I'm hoping, that if everything goes well, and we have another baby, I can convince DH to let me do a home birth! (If I don't pull a fast one this time, anyway! haha!)
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search