Question about UP (unassisted pregnancy)

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2008, 06:58 AM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies! My name is Chelci, I'm expecting my 2nd child in August and this is my first UP and I am planning an UC. My question for those of you who have done UP is: Have you/did you go to the doctor/MW at all throughout your pregnancy? My mother is really pushing me to go and DH wants at least 1 ultrasound to make sure everything is ok. I would like to go just once but I feel that if I get an ultrasound I won' be able to help but ask the baby's gender. Which I originally said I didn't want to know. What should I do? Thanks.

Chelci

February 18th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Chelci-
I am sort of in a similar situation. We want a UC but, we've been to 2 appointments w/2 u/s so far. One to confirm pregnancy and viability w/a MW and then the OB/Gyn but, mostly as a plan B. I want to go and have the level II u/s done but, we will NOT find out the gender. We did not find out the gender w/any of the 3 boys.
If you go in and specifically state, PRIOR to the u/s, that you DO NOT want to know the gender, they are obligated to fulfill that request.
A question you might ask yourself, though, is if something doesn't measure perfectly, as it often does not, will you continue to seek more assistance or let it go?
With me, I have to decide whether to do the level II u/s and whether I will continue to go to the OB/Gyn &/or MW. So far, I have decided not to. It's less stressful.
Good luck & keep us posted on your choices,
Kristin & "The Boys" +1 due 7/08'
February 18th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I am seeing a midwife, so I am really no help. But I did get the level 2 ultra sound done and I still do not know the sex of my baby. I thought it would be hard for me to not ask what I was having, but I get more and more excited knowing that I have no idea what it will be.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

February 18th, 2008, 05:08 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Well, do you feel the need to see someone for care? Do you have any other risk factors?

I am planning another UC birth, but I don't go UP for my pregnancy. Mainly because I have had thyroid disease in the past so I need it monitored. I see my Dr every 4-8 weeks and otherwise every 4 weeks I go to the lab for my blood draw (I have a standing order).

I am having an u/s because my husband asked me to, but I would rather not. But, one I can do to satisfy him and then he will satisfy me by not objecting to my US birth.

February 19th, 2008, 07:01 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There are plenty of reasons not to have one, though I will say that I had an U/S with my UP. NAK ATM, but I will try to respond later
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

February 20th, 2008, 09:39 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not much help here, as I saw a midwife throughout my pregnancy and had her assist at our birth. After having one birth at home, I think I could do a UC now...but personally, I wouldn't be comfortable without some sort of outside care during my pregnancy. I've never had any problems, but it's nice to have someone more knowledgeable looking out for me, you know? That said, you've been through a pregnancy before and know what to expect - if you're comfortable with it and it's what works best for your family, then go for it. Just take good care of yourself.
February 27th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Well, just an update. To keep it short, I went to see a MW. Different one from my last PG. I didn't like the office or the MW and really don't want to go back. I know DH may want one appt where he gets to go since he's not home right now so I may agree to that since I will get another ultrasound then so he can find out the gender. But other than that. I definitely feel ready now for a UP/UC.

Chelci

February 27th, 2008, 06:32 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats, I'm hoping for one too!

March 13th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
OMG! I had not even heard of a UP but I told DH that I did NOT want to go to a doc or my midwife (even though I love my midwife) that I wanted this pregnancy to be 100% natural. I haven't said this in my DDC of course cause they must already think I'm nuts for not vaccinating, no drugs for birth and on top of that a HB, lol, wait till I tell tham I want a lotus birth, LMAO!!! Thank you for verifying that I am not the only one who really doesn't want to see a doctor.
March 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Chelci, first of all I have to say that I've inadvertantly followed your "story" since you were pg with your son, and I must say that I think YOU ROCK! Seriously. I just love reading what you have to say, and I really admire how much interest you have in how and WHY your family operates.

That said, I'm planning on UP/UC for all future pg's, with no U/S's unless God leads me otherwise. Dh is thankfully fully on board with this plan.

And where did you get your UC blinkie? Can I "steal" it?

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
March 28th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Aww, wow, thank you. Sure you can still the blinkie. I stole it from Brandy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search