"ACOG reiterates its long-standing opposition to home births."

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2008, 09:54 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just thought I'd share with you ladies...as if any of us wouldn't see through their reasons for opposing.

Quote:
Washington, DC
February 6, 2008

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) reiterates its long-standing opposition to home births. While childbirth is a normal physiologic process that most women experience without problems, monitoring of both the woman and the fetus during labor and delivery in a hospital or accredited birthing center is essential because complications can arise with little or no warning even among women with low-risk pregnancies.

ACOG acknowledges a woman's right to make informed decisions regarding her delivery and to have a choice in choosing her health care provider, but ACOG does not support programs that advocate for, or individuals who provide, home births. Nor does ACOG support the provision of care by midwives who are not certified by the American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM) or the American Midwifery Certification Board (AMCB).

Childbirth decisions should not be dictated or influenced by what's fashionable, trendy, or the latest cause célèbre. Despite the rosy picture painted by home birth advocates, a seemingly normal labor and delivery can quickly become life-threatening for both the mother and baby. Attempting a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) at home is especially dangerous because if the uterus ruptures during labor, both the mother and baby face an emergency situation with potentially catastrophic consequences, including death. Unless a woman is in a hospital, an accredited freestanding birthing center, or a birthing center within a hospital complex, with physicians ready to intervene quickly if necessary, she puts herself and her baby's health and life at unnecessary risk.

Advocates cite the high US cesarean rate as one justification for promoting home births. The cesarean delivery rate has concerned ACOG for the past several decades and ACOG remains committed to reducing it, but there is no scientific way to recommend an 'ideal' national cesarean rate as a target goal. In 2000, ACOG issued its Task Force Report Evaluation of Cesarean Delivery to assist physicians and institutions in assessing and reducing, if necessary, their cesarean delivery rates. Multiple factors are responsible for the current cesarean rate, but emerging contributors include maternal choice and the rising tide of high-risk pregnancies due to maternal age, overweight, obesity and diabetes.

The availability of an obstetrician-gynecologist to provide expertise and intervention in an emergency during labor and/or delivery may be life-saving for the mother or newborn and lower the likelihood of a bad outcome. ACOG believes that the safest setting for labor, delivery, and the immediate postpartum period is in the hospital, or a birthing center within a hospital complex, that meets the standards jointly outlined by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and ACOG, or in a freestanding birthing center that meets the standards of the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, The Joint Commission, or the American Association of Birth Centers.

It should be emphasized that studies comparing the safety and outcome of births in hospitals with those occurring in other settings in the US are limited and have not been scientifically rigorous. Moreover, lay or other midwives attending to home births are unable to perform live-saving emergency cesarean deliveries and other surgical and medical procedures that would best safeguard the mother and child.

ACOG encourages all pregnant women to get prenatal care and to make a birth plan. The main goal should be a healthy and safe outcome for both mother and baby. Choosing to deliver a baby at home, however, is to place the process of giving birth over the goal of having a healthy baby. For women who choose a midwife to help deliver their baby, it is critical that they choose only ACNM-certified or AMCB-certified midwives that collaborate with a physician to deliver their baby in a hospital, hospital-based birthing center, or properly accredited freestanding birth center.[/b]
Link to original

Thoughts?
February 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I read that the day it came out and had a good laugh. It's a load of crap.
February 20th, 2008, 12:45 PM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
people...it's a trade union. OF COURSE they oppose home births, that takes business away from their trade. it's like a carpenter's union endorsing metal cabinets for homes...*** would they do that?! they would lose money! it drives me nuts to hear women talk about the acog like they are the gods and guardians of all birth, when they are no different than the carpenters unions, ironworkers unions, teamsters unions, etc etc.

here is one woman's response to the acog, and here is an official response by the "big push for midwives" campaign. i think that about sums it up.
February 20th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's funny that they say a freestanding birth center is okay but not a homebirth. My midwife had all the same supplies and equipment as a birth center. I know without doubt that I got far superior pre-natal care from my midwife than from my OBs in previous pregnancies. I saw my OB maybe twice during labor with my first three. For my homebirth my midwife was there with me the entire time. She didn't rely on monitors to tell her how the baby and I were doing, she could see firsthand. I don't consider that to be fashionable or trendy, just much better care

February 20th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Those are AWESOME replies - thanks for posting those links, Jen!

Eh, I could rant for hours on end about everything that's wrong with that statement, but you all already know, already feel the same way, and it's already been posted elsewhere.
February 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
Had to add this to this thread...Hathor's reply to the ACOG statement.

February 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Control Freaks!

I'm guessing their statement came out shortly after the release of Rikki Lake's new movie?

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
February 22nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
How does one even go about having a home birth? I'm slightly interested.. Hospitals freak me out, and I've run into ONE nice doctor or nurse every time I go. And I haven't been told about any option to get a midwife either..

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
February 23rd, 2008, 05:37 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
UGH! It is so important that every woman stand up for the right of homebirth. It is more than a place. Women should be in charge of their conceptions, pregnancies and births. We must take it back. What I feel is that we are at a spot in the birth timeline. I feel change on the rise. The way it is, the tide must change. Too many women are waking up! I just hope it is a battle we win, not one in which we lose. Not in a good place with birth politics right now.

February 23rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
Quote:
How does one even go about having a home birth? I'm slightly interested.. Hospitals freak me out, and I've run into ONE nice doctor or nurse every time I go. And I haven't been told about any option to get a midwife either..[/b]
idk if i'm allowed to say this here, but find your tribe on mothering.com and ask for who does home births. or google something like 'homebirth midwives [your state here]' or find a local yahoo group with naturally-minded moms.
good luck exploring your options!
February 24th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know in my state there is a website for TX Midwives, and then its broken down into counties or towns. Mothering is a great place to start, but you could also tell us where to look and maybe we can help.

February 24th, 2008, 03:19 PM
tada! <--click! looks like you are in hawaii, where midwifery is legal but unregulated. this site breaks down providers by island. gl!
February 24th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
oh my god those responses are hysterical. thank you for posting!

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search