maybe i'm more upset than i thought...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2008, 11:13 AM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
in replying to the other thread, i realized how mad i really am about the new laws being drafted in my state right now!
the utah medical association got all pissy, tried to force through a bill basically illegalizing home birth midwives- it would have risked out 96% of women who had successful home births last year. happily, the legislature told them that they (the uma) needed to work it out with the midwives themselves, and sent everyone to the "time-out" room- ie "don't come out of there until you have worked it out yourselves, we don't want to hear it anymore". yay for my legislature.
well, the final language of the bill is not being released yet, the verbage is still being cleaned up and whatnot, but my friend and doula was on the committee. on the surface, it looks like the midwives are getting the short end of the stick. no longer will a home birth attended by a licensed midwife be legal if the baby is breech, coming at 36 weeks, or after 42 weeks, a twin, or in most cases, a vbac (all of this is currently legal). this friend will probably be risked out because she is a vbac mom- even though she had a successful hbac at 42.5 weeks. however, if you look closely, my friend says that the midwives were very careful to always use the word "licensed" when referring to the midwives- and licensure is voluntary in utah. so, women will just start using midwives who have yet to get licensed if they think they will encounter a problem!
so good, we still have options, but come on! the uma isn't even pretending that they are protesting because of poor outcomes with midwives- the admit midwives have better stats with the high risk category they are squabbling over-it's because the midwives are taking business away, and they're mad.
ok, rant over. thanks for reading.
February 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM
4boys
That's so dumb. It all comes down to money. How sad.
February 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think its just flat out ridiculous. I understand the role of politicians and i"m heavily into politics, but I cannot stand the fact that people who have no background in an area (mental health, medical needs) are making decisions that they are completely uneducated on!! I'm sorry, but reading some manuals or hearing from lobbyists does not inform you enough to pass LAWS on a subject

I'm a therapist and I can tell you that there are days I'm ready to jerk my hair out because politician that knows NOTHING about mental health has made a decision affecting my clients.. espeically when that law or decision can affect their mental status (the govt restricting how many sessions a client gets or what meds are paid for)

February 29th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
those rules sound similar to the laws in wisconsin regarding midwives, though i think a lot of it can be overcome here with a consultation from a supportive physician, which are easy enough to come by at least in my area. my midwife does not deliver twins, mostly because she won't deliver before 37 weeks. she does do vbac with a consultation from a physician, and not even ob/gyns are allowed to deliver breech babies vaginally here. and i don't believe it is legal to have a midwifery practice without a license here either. but not sure about that...they just passed the bill in 06 or 07, i can't remember, and my midwife was one of 2 midwives on the consulting committee.

i agree, there are so many areas of law that the politician have NO CLUE about. if anyone has ever worked in daycare you know that one person cannot properly care for 4 babies under a year old, despite what our state ratios are. argh. well, at least not to my standards anyway.

</div>
March 4th, 2008, 07:50 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm upset with you...it's absolutely ridiculous.
March 19th, 2008, 11:46 AM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
update: vbacs are back in, they're ok. but most of the other stuff is now illegal. yargh. LUCKILY the restrictions only apply to licensed midwives, and licensing is voluntary in utah. that means that moms who expect a problem in that way are currently left with one midwife in the area, but there are quite a few students now, and none of them are planning on seeking licensing now because of the new laws. i have a student as a secondary on my care, and at my appointment last week, we planned that she would be present with all equipment for my legally "unattended" birth if there ends up being a problem...the most likely being that i give birth at 36 weeks- with zoe i only made it to "term" (37w) by 6 hours. anyway, that's what happened here. the medical association already said they're going to try again, but my midwife (also on the committee) said, and i quote, "over my dead body. they aren't getting another inch. unless it's that births on the sixth tuesday of the month are risked out."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search