Home Birth after Loss Question

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2008, 11:59 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi & welcome to the board! I'm sorry to hear about your experience, and unfortunatley, its an all too common story. The worst part is most moms accept it as normal, so although you did have a not so great experience kudos to you for standing up & considering changing the circumstances! Its so bad that we dont find out about these horrible things till AFTER The fact

As for your two losses, and the endometriosis - I dont see any reason why this would cause you to not be able to have a homebirth. Most states have some criteria, but those risk factors usually are things such as breech babies, sometimes twin births, occasionally GD, Pre-E, etc. Your previous birth experiences, losses, etc rarely come into play. Of course, you may end up getting dual care with the MW and her overseeing OB if it turns out that additional care is needed to help maintain the pg initially, but usually even when you have to take a hormone or medication to help maintain the pg, that only lasts until the placenta develops & your body takes over from there.

I would call a MW and get a consultation and discuss the issues with her, any fears or concerns, and your previous birth expeirence. She'll likely have a lot to offer you and give you a good idea of what her restrictions are in your area so you can know what to expect

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 4th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I'd definitely get in touch with some midwives in your area and talk to them about your history. I agree with LaLa that it doesn't seem that your history would present a problem for a home birth.

March 4th, 2008, 09:54 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you had such a horrible hospital experience. Ditto the others, I don't think that history would come into play with the home birth decision at all - it's only factors toward the end of pregnancy that would influence that. I hope you find a good midwife and continue to explore the option of birthing at home (there's nothing like it!) And I'm so sorry for your losses.
March 5th, 2008, 08:23 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOl - if thats his only concern youre golden!

Tell him you wouldnt leave till your water broke anyways So therefore, the house would smell like amniotic fluid anyways! lol,.

Seriuosly - ask him to pick his favorite scent & give him permission to cover any smells up with that Baby poop is far stronger & worse than sweet smelling amniotic fluid lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 5th, 2008, 08:38 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmm, I didn't know amniotic fluid had a smell...I never noticed it with my older DD, and my water broke in the birth pool with my younger. NO smell that way!
March 15th, 2008, 07:24 PM
twiceinabluemoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so very sorry for your losses.

two have my homebirths have been after consecutive losses (4 losses, and 3 losses). I have progesterone issues so sought dual care for the progesterone shots when I was pregnant with Zoe. When I was pregnant with Lily my levels were fine so we just did a cream to cover our bases.

I'll Cry if I Want to / My Photography Blog </div>
March 26th, 2008, 08:41 AM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
Hi again Brandi!

I don't have many answers on home birth.. but I do think I can help you out a bit about midwives, being in Ontario myself and having dealt with two different midwifery practice.

The main thing, is that midwives are in HUGE shortage in Ontario... so your first step would be to see if you even have a midwifery practice around you. I've been lucky and had a midwifery practice close enough with both pregnancies (but this time around I have to drive 1 hour for all my appointments as this is the closest practice to me!)

If you find a midwifery practice you will need to contact them as soon as you get your BFP, as they fill up REALLY fast!

Now here in Ontario, you have two choices when you go with a midwife. You can do a home birth, or you can do a hospital birth. Now in the case where your midwife has hospital privileges (most should, unless they are a relatively new practice - such as the one I am currently seeing *sigh*) a hospital birth is so completely not what you described to be Zoe's birth!

My midwife came to my house when I told her I was in labour.. Checked me to see if she would go back home and come back later or labour with me at home until I was progressed enough to go to the hospital (lol I had a quick labour, so we went to the hospital right away) Will go to the hospital with you... pretty much check you in... (this is the only time I even saw a nurse) and then labour with you pretty much the entire time... no one else came in the room (no doctors, nurses, etc.) And she allowed me to discharge early (as soon as I could prove to her I could stand without blacking out - lol she had to feed me a peanut butter sandwhich before that happened - and that I could pee on my own) SHe then continued to make several home visits until I got the hang of breastfeeding and called me several times a day to check in on my BFing progress (I had tons of problems at first!)

This time around, it looks like my midwife will not have hospital privileges... and if I chose a hospital birth, I will have a very different experience... so I am now re-considering a home birth!

ETA: I just realized that I never really told you why I wrote all of that!! My train of thought was that if the midwife would not do a home birth due to your losses (though I doubt it would be a problem) I am certain they would still see you and do a hospital birth with you... which is so much better of an experience as what you described that you had with Zoe!
March 30th, 2008, 10:48 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm planning a midwife assisted birth, possibly home, possibly birth center, depending on the house we move into. I've had 2 losses as well, and they told me they shouldn't be an issue.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search