What if...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2008, 11:02 AM
4boys
So I got out my supply list from my midwife this morning and as I was reading through the whole package of info, there came a paragraph that said, even if I plan a home birth I am not guaranteed to get one. The reason being that there must be two midwives present at a home birth and in total there are only three in this area. So if someone is off call or sick, or there are two home birth ladies in labor at once, they might tell me to go to the hospital. I am so mad and disappointed about this. I spent a lot of money on my birth pool and I REALLY don't want to go to the hospital AT ALL. At my last appointment, they did say that they have a lot of home births coming up and my midwife's partner is on holidays the week I am due.

So aside from being very disappointed...I need to figure out what I am going to do in the event that there aren't two midwives to come to my birth. I have considered unattended but I am not that comfortable with that and I know DH would freak if that happened. I could just call my midwife way too late to get to the hospital and then there's no choice for her; she'd just have to come ASAP no matter what....but I don't want to be mean! I think at my next visit with her I'll ask how many women are coming up due and what the likelihood is that they would run out of midwives to come to my birth....except that I can't really control when my baby decides to come so that might not help. But I guess I still shouldn't jump to conclusions if the chances of having to go to the hospital are lower than I think.

What would you do in this situation? What would your back up plan be?
March 7th, 2008, 11:08 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thats a pretty standard clause for most MWs - even OBs cant guarantee to be there. And Id rather go Unassisted than face a stranger, personally.

But - for me, I used a MW who had probably 4 clients due within 2 weeks, over a 100 mile area. My due date fell within a week of one other girl, who was about an hour away. We had our appointments together a lot of times, and joked wed just pick a house and both birth there lol.

(Seriously - Id have driven the hour lol).

But - its one of those things beyond your control - you can just make sure to give your MW a good heads up and let her know hwen you think youre in early labor so she can plan accordingly. Our plan was that if she was at another birth - wed wait it out if we felt we could. If we felt we couldnt, we'd decide then based on how I felt whether to go to the hospital. It spawned a few fights - my DH was adamant that wed have to go to the hospital, I was insistent that I wouldnt want to go. In the end of course it wasnt a big deal and was a non issue

Personally - I say come up with a loose plan. Give yourself the permission to change your mind as time goes by or when the time comes. But the chances of it hapening are slim. Id let that be one of the last things to worry about.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 7th, 2008, 11:25 AM
4boys
Thank you Lala. I always love your advice!
March 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree...Lala gives the best advice. (Why aren't YOU hosting this board, Lala?! )

I'd be stressed too, with so many due around the same time. I agree completely about letting her know as *soon* as you think labor is starting, to give them plenty of time to get there - or for you to make another plan while you're still up to thinking about it. One of my midwives was out of town (the senior - my primary m/w was still a student) so she was headed here - but she didn't make it in time. Amelia was born with a student midwife and a doula present...

IF it came down to hospital or unassisted, I would probably opt for unassisted. I'm sure DH would freak right out, but he's not really the one doing the work and it's not as though he'd be brazen enough to carry me out to the car or anything. But of course, it's all about what you're both comfortable with. I hope it ends up being a total non-issue in the end!
March 14th, 2008, 09:28 AM
DenBic's Avatar Regular
My personal choice would be to do a lot of reseach on unassisted childbirth, and maybe also check in with a few hospitals to see what thier policies are, and such just incase it comes to that as well. That way you would be familiar with your two main choices if there were not enough MW's... But I am new at all of this....
</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search