New to this board

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kegandryesmom04
Hi Ladies I have never posted here before because I never thought that I would have a home birth but here I am after watching the buisness of being born I relized that I do have options and this is one I would really like to explore, I have always been considered high risk b/c I have seizures though I do not have eplipsy(sp) I have not had one in over 3yrs I get them from being over stressed but I would like to see a midwife and maybe either give birth at home or in a birth center. I guess my question is why did you decide to have a home birth or at a birth center? I have more but need to write them down 1st thanks to my prego brain lol TIA
March 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Why?

I wanted the peace and quiet of home
No risk of being bullied into unnecessary interventions which would put me and baby at MORE risk. (I escaped the interventions with my hospital births, but only because I resisted the bullying. The bullying was stressful enough, thanks.)
The option to water birth
Being in control of labour and birth, not having it controlled for me
Not having to be poked and prodded by strangers
Not having to deal with all the noise and chaos of the post partum wing at the hospital
Not having my precious sleep interrupted by nurses taking my stupid temperature
Privacy
Did I mention peace and quiet of home?
Being able to climb into my own bed afterwards with my DH, to get to know our new baby

March 7th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kegandryesmom04
thanks for responding I guess im a little scared both of my kids were hospital births and I just want the choice to birth how i want to birth
March 7th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first three birth were induced (w/epidural) and I wanted an all natural birth because I felt it was what was right for me and my baby. I knew that my body could birth a baby naturally and I felt that the hospital environment wasn't the place for me to achieve that. When I moved mid-way through my last pregnancy I sought out a midwife and I knew instantly that I had made the right choice. The care that I received from her was so much better than that I had gotten from my previous OBs. Each visit was at least an hour long and she took the time to get to know me and my family.

It turns out my little guy didn't want to come until 17 days after his due date. I am quite certain that had I been under the care of an OB I would have been pressured to induce. I had a sonogram at 42 week and all looked well so we kept on waiting. The actual birth was amazing. I was able to labor in any position that felt right to me. I was given food and drink whenever I asked. I delivered in a squatting position with my husband behind me for support and my Mom sitting on the foot of our bed offering encouragement. After he was born we bonded in our own bed while our midwives cleaned up. Our daughter woke up seconds after his birth and came into our room thrilled to meet her baby brother. I love that every time I go into our bathroom I remember laboring in the tub.

I can't pinpoint what it was exactly that made me decide to birth at home, but it was just a decision that seemed right. My midwife came equipped with everything that a birth center would have so to me it seemed logical to stay at home and have her come to us. In my hospital births I felt powerless and with my home birth I was empowered. We plan to have all future children at home barring any complications.
March 8th, 2008, 09:31 AM
4boys
Alison, I just have to say, I love that pic of your kids!!

I have not yet had my home birth, Lord willing it will be in the next month. But these are the reasons I want to have one:

I don't have to leave the comfort of my home and go to the hospital; a place that stresses me out and usually stalls my labor.
I can be in any position that's comfortable, if I want to walk outside or play my piano during labor, I can.
I won't have to have an IV or any monitors on me, two things that make labor unbearably uncomfortable for me.
I will avoid unnecessary interventions, such as having my water broken.
I won't have to deal with the nurses and hospital policies that tend to separate mother and baby after the birth.
I can use my birth pool in the privacy of my bathroom.
I can get in my own bed afterwards which is far more comfortable than the hospital beds I've attempted to sleep in!!
DH won't have to leave me and go home to look after the other kids.
I *hopefully* won't be pressured into being induced if I am overdue.
My midwives will clean up everything after the birth and I won't have to do a thing.
I can eat and drink during labor, something that is usually discouraged at the hospital.

I'm sure there are more! But that's enough of a list!
March 9th, 2008, 12:34 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi there - welcome to the board, I hope you'll post here often!

I can't add a thing to the reasons that have already been posted. My older DD was born in a hospital - I was induced and had an epidural, after which her heartrate plummeted and I was thisclose to having an emergency C-section. I decided before she was even out that I would never have another epidural unless it was absolutely necessary. And since I didn't want the drugs...why put myself (or my baby) through the ordeal of birthing in a hospital again? Amelia was born at home three months ago and it was an amazing experience. I almost want a third just so I can have another home birth.

Feel free to ask all the questions you can think of - there are some wonderful and very knowledgeable ladies around here!
March 15th, 2008, 10:13 AM
DenBic's Avatar Regular
Ditto!
My first was a complete surprise c-section a month early. I was home at my parents visiting for Christmas, and I got sharp pains in my side somewhat like gas. Turns out I had bad phenomia in both lungs and had maybe caused a bloodclot in there... my coughing and stress with the pain caused fetal distress and they cut my DD out right then and there ( I guess I was not even fully knocked out they were so worried....) I was seperated from her, they did not tell my poor DH anything and left him and my mother to worry in a room alone, brought the baby in for him to hold a second and rushed her off again without a word about my condition! She was tube fed given shots/pacifier/etc without asking... I was given no options... It was aweful... I want my next birth to be at home in peace and quiet, no seperations, no alarms and buzzers, and everything else that has already been said! I will have some shadow care and such, but I am staying home for the birth and 'oupsing' I did not get there in time!... Oh how I look forward to an latesummer early fall birth!....
</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search