balencing act

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2008, 04:14 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ok, so My hope is to deliver at home, without a midwife or doctor. But I have a problem with recurrent m/c. It is tough to go into, but recurrent m/c are often thought to be normal, but they are not. I know something is wrong with me, but I do not know what. I never had any of the tissues tested, so I'm pretty much in the dark. The chances of me having 2 in a row because of a problem with the chromosomes or health of the baby is sp statistly improbible, especially seeing as one of my losses was after the window of chromosomal loss is pretty much over.

my game plan with my next pregnancy is to be on bed rest the 1st trimester, and to gradually restart normal activities. I'll be avoiding anything remotely harmful, b/c I do not want to take any chances.

A pregnancy after recurrent loss is considered a high risk pregnancy, but once I'm past the window of time that most m/c happen before (12-14 weeks) I am no longer high risk, right?

There is nothing to indicate my birth experience won't be normal. I have done rediculuos amounts of reading and learning on this, but there is nothing about a home birth or unattended birth after losses .I don't have insurance or even know of a doctor or midwife I'd want to see to ask right now.

Would it be possible to find a doula to be with me durring an unnattended birth?

any thoughts, opinions, experiences? I am so confused, if I should have an obgyn or a midwife, if it is safe for me at home...... ugh!!!

March 10th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Xx5Xy1+'s Avatar What's your superpower?
I don't have any answers for you, just wanted to offer a big hug and lots of prayers.

Thank you 3Daughters for my AWESOME siggy!

Hoping to add a new member to our family through adoption in August 2011
~*~
I am a sleep deprived, pro-life, homebirth supporting, babywearing, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, non-vaxing, attachment parenting, conservative thinking, Constitution defending, gun owning, Torah learning, US Army Veteran who is married to her hero... A US Army Soldier! If this offends you, then stop reading my signature!
March 10th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Super Mommy
I misscarried our first 2 babies and went on to deliver our firstborn at home with no complications. I don't think I was as far along as you were though. I had a missed miscarriage at 14 weeks with our first (the baby had stopped growing at 8 weeks) and our second I was only 6 weeks along. The Dr wasn't sure what could have caused them. I got my thyroid checked because I am on Thyroid supplements for Hypo(low) thyroidism. My tests came out within the normal range, but then my Dr had me do a comprehensive thyroid test and even though I was close to normal he upped my dosage a little. We still aren't sure if that was it, but low thyroid can cause m/c. My 3rd pregnancy (our daughter) went really well, I had absolutly no complications and had a great home birth with a home birth Dr, but I know we could have had a midwife if we wanted to. I am now 5 weeks away from birthing our second and I am looking foreward to another home birth! So hopefully that encourages you that you CAN have a healthy pregnancy after loss.
Melissa

Oh, and I didn't want to go unassisted, especially with my first birth. But that descision had nothing to do with the m/c's, I just wanted someone there just in case. And that was literally all the Dr was there for! He didn't do anything during the birth except check for a HB a few times. Afterwards he cleaned everything up, checked out the baby, filled out the paperwork and gave me 2 stiches and checked the placenta. I didn't have anyone telling me where to go or what to do or when to push or anything. But it still felt good to have him there, I could completely relax and know that if anything went wrong, he could take care of it. We had a great home birth Dr!
March 11th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Hi, I'm Jennifer. I had a UC with my second child after 3 m/c's. Mine were early, 5w3d and two at 4w5d. I *think* mine were probably progesterone related (due to a LOT of bfing my son at the time)...and probably just timing (in God's time). I don't know how far along your m/c's were, but have you thought about using progesterone cream for the first trimester? You would use it every cycle starting from a few days after O (make sure to get good prog cream though). If you did go that route, you could have shadow care with an OB and request prog sups for the first trimester and then drop off care after that (or keep going to have shadow care backup).

I think that you aren't high risk most likely...and even more likely once you are past your m/c dates. Pm me if you want to talk about it anymore.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
March 15th, 2008, 09:59 AM
DenBic's Avatar Regular
I think it should be okay to try. I am planning an UC possibley water VBAC... Which is concidered high risk to the med pro's... I know a lady who acks as a birth attendant and has personally done a VBAC homebirth. I am doing the shadow dr care as backup, while avoiding all u/sdopplers and typical u/s. We will get one done in the last few weeks to see placenta placement, fluids etc and if all is normal and safe we will do things at home and 'oups we did not make it to the hospital in time!'... As my biggest fear is that something bad will happen, I will get blamed and someone will try to take our DD away or something crazy... so with the backup care I will have done the basic's to make sure things are progressing...

However, you need to do whatever feels right for you and your family... whatever causes the least amout of stress! A book I am really liking is "birth from within' (I think) and its really helped me face my fears so that I am not focused on them. They are normal fears, but I am okay with them now...
</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search