Help me prepare myself so I can be there for my nieces

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2008, 04:36 PM
jacksons_mom's Avatar Super Mommy
My sister is 35 weeks and will be having a home birth. She has asked me to be there to help with her two daughters. Both girls will be present at the birth and my job is to make sure they are okay and if they don't want to watch to play with them in the other room.

For those of you that have other kids, how did they do with you being in labor? Her midwife has 10 kids and 7 of them have been born at home with the other kids there and says that they kids will be fine. Both girls have watched videos and are being read books about what is going to happen and seem very excited.

Is there anything that I can do to help them??

Oh the girls are 2 and almost 5.
March 11th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's wonderful that you will be there to help! I'd just take your cues from the girls and go from there. My daughter was sleeping during her brother's birth and woke up just moments after he was born. My Mom took care of her and it was such a big help.

March 14th, 2008, 06:48 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto, just follow the girls' leads. If they're interested in what's going on, just be there in case anything (sounds, mostly) does worry them, to assure them that it's normal and their mom is okay. Maybe help guide them into a position where they don't see *everything*, unless they're prepared for that. And, if they get bored or upset, take them into another room and have fun with them. That's awesome that you can be there to help out, and hopefully witness the birth of your new niece or nephew too!
March 15th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would say have lots of things planned for you guys to do. Labor could be long and it will be helpful if you could occupy the kids so the mom and dad aren't having to worry about them. Doing crafts, playing board games, baking bread for a baby-is-here-feast, are some ideas. My kids were here for our last homebirth and I had a friend to watch them. She brought over lots of stuff to keep them busy. It was such a big help to me.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
March 19th, 2008, 11:33 AM
jacksons_mom's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks! My sister went really fast with the two girls, longest labor about 2 hours and only 2 pushes, so we hope it will be the same with Maxim. I will make sure she has the girls crafts stuff ready and since I am going over Saturday I might peek in the playroom and see what all they have now.

Her midwife is bringing the tub over Sunday and going to check her then. Depending on how far along she is they may try and natural induction since she is already having contractions.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search