Frustrated

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Showbiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
...So I've been planning this VBAC since my daughter was born in December of 2005...

I just thought it would be easier to get my team together.

It looks like my options are only A. to use the only Dr that does VBACs in a 100 mile radius or B. to have a midwife-assisted homebirth.

Here is my list of pros and cons for each.

A.

I've had my first appt with said Dr. He took care of me when I was rehospitalized with complications when DD was 10 days old. He has a good bedside manner and seemed genuine. The area midwives recommend him, as they won't do VBACs. However, I really wanted a midwife. I don't like the whole Drs office thing, where I talk to several people each visit besides him, can't get him if I have a question, have to wait forever when I go for an appt (might as well write off the whole day), and I didn't like the answers of some of my questions (he would recommend a CS if my labor isn't moving quickly and he recommends induction past 40.5 weeks. I delivered DD just shy of 39 weeks so that may not be an issue, but it MAY be an issue). I did not enjoy my appt.

B.

DH is against a homebirth. He is terrified. He's read tons of data, but he still doesn't like it. I like the idea of having a team that's dedicated to my baby and I, and supportive. I like the idea of not being constantly monitored, and as I hated the nurses when I delivered with DD, I like the idea of no nurses, LOL! I like the midwife approach, I enjoy the appts. I prefer the one-on-one you feel when you speak to them. I do live 75 miles from the nearest hospital. Someone suggested that a certain midwife would allow me to birth at their home, closer to civilization. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be delivering in a strange place. I also am terrified that this natural birth I've been wanting may be too much for me. I labored 13 hours with DD before the recommended epi (to help lower my bp, along with Mag) and towards the end it got tough. I don't know if I truly want to be without pain meds.

I feel like I'm in a vicious cycle of trying to decide what's best for me. I wrote this all out hoping someone can chime in with experiences or information that might help me make a decision. I knew it would be time consuming and labor intensive to put this all together in 9 months, but I really am shocked at how few my options are! Part of me is thinking that maybe I should just let it all go and quit putting so much emphasis on the birth. Then I won't be so disappointed, regardless of the outcome.

March 17th, 2008, 04:07 AM
DenBic's Avatar Regular
Hi.. I am new here...
I too had a previous c-section. I have been reading lots of books and I am seeing and completely believing, that in a relaxed atmospher that normal labour will be much faster and less painful/easier to cope with. Unlike you, it only took a few weeks to get my DH on board with the idea, but my idea is to go unassisted, as we do have a birthassistant living close, and are only 10min or less away from 2 hospitals.
Has your DH been to any midwife apointments with you? Maybe one of them could help him feel better about the idea?! I know if he is not onboard it will often be harder for you to relax and therefor may be better to go with a choice you could both be okay with....
You are still early along, and you have the option to change your mind along the way, so maybe some more talks with your hubby will help get him on board.
</div>
March 17th, 2008, 09:55 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well...the good thing is that you still have time to decide! Although I'm sure you'd feel better having that decision already made.

I had my first daughter in the hospital with an OB and tons of nurses present, and my second daughter at home - although she wasn't a VBAC. The two experiences just can not compare...it was so much easier at home, probably because I could relax. Like Denise said, relaxation can do SO much for your labor. Mine was still eight hours, but it didn't feel like it at all. If you're worried about pain relief - have you considered a water birth? I felt a huge difference as soon as I got into the pool!

Good luck making your decision - you do have a lot of variables to consider. Wish I could be of more help!
March 18th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Showbiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies.

DH and I haven't been to any midwife appts with this pregnancy (yet). We had a birth center birth planned for our first (a waterbirth) with a midwife. When we arrived at the birth center well into labor, she sent me directly to the hospital (and followed me there) with strict instructions for an epi and mag to get my BP down. It was not at all what I had expected and planned for.

I do feel that the hosptial environment made labor much more difficult than it needed to be. The room was uncomfortable and they "insisted" on as much fetal monitoring as they could, which was very uncomfortable and limited my ability to move around.

My fear of the pain is that I went the first 13 hours by myself, got the epi, then pushed for 3 hours without the epi - it's what is in between I'm not sure I could do!

Decisions, decisions. I'll be praying a lot for direction in the coming months.

March 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Super Mommy
Your first birth was in a strange enviorment, with strangers, strapped to fetal moniters, and with interventions (the mag and iv's and such). Of course your pain level was intense. Don't be afraid of the pain of the home birth it will be nothing compared to all of that.

As for your husband, mine was not on board for homebirth completely. I sent him to an appt. with the midwife without me. I really have no clue what they talked about but he came home completly convinced of the decision to home birth. Also this is a decision you definatly want to have his input but realize that ultimatly it is up to you.

Mom to boys: G 7, C 5, K 4, N 3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search